Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Short clip from Brighton nightclub 1967 ???

Thanks
    Thanked 34,146 Times in 421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten_Mokuba View Post
    Obviously the input of someone familiar with 60's Brighton venues would be useful here.
    I know somebody who lived locally and saw the band at various venues between 1968-1970. Could you or somebody else spoon feed me some questions and, if relevant, screen grabs please?

Great find btw. We should work on getting a decent copy.
    Last edited by neonknight; 2015-07-07 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

Definitely, the 15 April 1967 K4 Festival.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azerty View Post
    Can you tell us why please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Probably because of the recollection Austin Parkinson gave me yesterday.

Thanks

(Hmm, elusive reply, i confess )
    I remember have read it in a french cinema magazine ("l'officiel des spectacles", i think) an article about the movies who includes scenes from some historical events (as "Blow up" with Yardbirds gig or "Col cuore in gola" w/. 67' Alexandra Palace Festival). I did remember that cos' i have made many researchs about this since. To be fair, i thought this footage was lost. I finally tought it never exists (no more to the less). So, a great find indeed !!
    And we have an testimony from Austin Parkinson who was cameraman on the set who stated have shoted PF too.

PS: Maybe someone coud make a request to the artists Stuart Brisley or Bill Culbert who set the installation for this gig.
    Last edited by azerty; 2015-07-07 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks

From the puny seconds of footage available, one can see that the main character is waiting outside and there are cars passing by. The K4 Festival (some details here) took place in a ballroom that appears to be on a pier. Looking at the facade of the building in the short film (see my previous post) makes me think that it resembles the Top Rank Suite, but it's still several seconds of dark footage, mind you (someone with knowledge of Brighton from that period should check out the film). This, of course, doesn't preclude the existence of K4 footage.

P.S. On a (not so) slightly irrelevant note - the only other Floyd related footage I was able to find on that channel is a report on Roger's 1990 Berlin show - here.

Thanks

(Hmm, elusive reply, i confess )
    I remember have read it in a french cinema magazine ("l'officiel des spectacles", i think) an article about the movies who includes scenes from some historical events (as "Blow up" with Yardbirds gig or "Col cuore in gola" w/. 67' Alexandra Palace Festival). I did remember that cos' i have made many researchs about this since.
    And we have an testimony from Austin Parkinson who was cameraman on the set who stated have shoted PF too.
    1) Austin Parkinson was not a cameraman on 'Promenade'.

2) There has been no mention anywhere to my knowledge. Of the group's involvement, let alone location.

Thanks

I have been digging around on google for a decent copy and am not having any luck. Has anybody else tried or have any ideas?

Thanks

I have been digging around on google for a decent copy and am not having any luck. Has anybody else tried or have any ideas?
    even the director , who died this year, had no copy (i tried, i failed)

Thanks

Looks like this has drawn attention elsewhere as well: http://missingepisodes.proboards.com...-brighton-1967

The statement, which I believe azerty has already referred to:

"I remember shooting at a disco next to the Metropole Hotel, it was to the left of the hotel in a small street that leads into Regency Square. I also remember shooting on West Pier when Pink Floyd were giving a performance and the pier was shaking badly as we were shooting a Kinetic light show which I noticed was in that clip you sent me.

And in that clip we can see the MG sports car arriving at the Metropole. Kate O'Mara was to drive the car but Donovan discovered she could not drive, but he made her drive it.

Never a dull moment filming with Donovan!"

As I understand by the phrasing the disco club gig and the West Pier K4 gig are separate occasions. So indeed the ebening scene with the revolving door is from the Top Rank Suite, but the band footage is not from a performance there (1967-10-06), but from the K4 Festival (1967-05-14). So indeed credit goes to azerty (Well done!)

The Huntley Film Archive obviously has a copy of it and probably can provide a better quality transfer if approached.