Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHN on Mac

Thanks

Default SHN on Mac

I've used Cog for the past several years on my MacBook to play old SHN files, but it seems that this program is either decommisioned or no longer compatible with the latest version of OSX. Any recommendations for another program that can play SHN without converting them to WAV first??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 326 Posts

Cog is still working on my latest version of El Capitan. But not sure about the shn-files as I have none at the Mac now. For flac-files it works just fine. Maybe Max or XLD could be an alternate? But I think XLD cant handle shn-files either.
    "Im full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

Thanks

Just checked it with some shn-files I had left at an external: Cog 0.0.8 works just fine - so the problem at your side should have another reason...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 43 Posts

Maybe this sounds obvious and probably like a bit of a chore, but you might be better off re-encoding your files over to FLAC.
    It compresses better than SHN, it's still being (slowly) updated as a format, and you can add metadata (artist, title, album, etc.) directly to each file once compressed to FLAC.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Maybe this sounds obvious and probably like a bit of a chore, but you might be better off re-encoding your files over to FLAC.
    It compresses better than SHN, it's still being (slowly) updated as a format, and you can add metadata (artist, title, album, etc.) directly to each file once compressed to FLAC.
    Thats the best choice I agree... But stupid iTunes wont still take the Flacs and so conversion to Apple lossless or wav is still the 1st choice for us poor Mac users.

Thanks

storm

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaMike View Post
    I've used Cog for the past several years on my MacBook to play old SHN files, but it seems that this program is either decommisioned or no longer compatible with the latest version of OSX. Any recommendations for another program that can play SHN without converting them to WAV first??
    VLC or Foobar play SHN (and just about everything else) with no problems.
    (Dunno if they are available for Mac, and you might need a SHN plugin for Foobar)

Hope this helps.

[EDIT] I'm stupid today. VLC doesn't play SHN. But Foobar does!
    Last edited by Phred68; 2016-03-22 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks

storm

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspace View Post
    Thats the best choice I agree... But stupid iTunes wont still take the Flacs and so conversion to Apple lossless or wav is still the 1st choice for us poor Mac users.
    Hey Cyberspace, is there a VLC for Mac? And/or does Foobar have a Mac installation?
    They will handle SHN files with no problem.

Last edited by Phred68; 2016-03-22 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    Hey Cyberspace, is there a VLC for Mac? And/or does Foobar have a Mac installation? They will handle SHN files with no problem. [EDIT] I'm stupid today. VLC doesn't play SHN. But Foobar does!
    Sadly Foobar for Mac is not available, but Cog and eventually Max works for shn-files.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    Hey Cyberspace, is there a VLC for Mac? And/or does Foobar have a Mac installation?
    They will handle SHN files with no problem.

VLC for Mac?
    Yep!
    Here's a direct link to the most current version - http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/videolan/v.../vlc-2.2.2.dmg
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Yes, VLC is the best media player for the Mac since many years - plays almost everything, except the shns...