Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: SHN on Mac

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 81 Times in 1 Post

    Default SHN on Mac

    I've used Cog for the past several years on my MacBook to play old SHN files, but it seems that this program is either decommisioned or no longer compatible with the latest version of OSX. Any recommendations for another program that can play SHN without converting them to WAV first??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 4,991 Times in 326 Posts

    Default

    Cog is still working on my latest version of El Capitan. But not sure about the shn-files as I have none at the Mac now. For flac-files it works just fine. Maybe Max or XLD could be an alternate? But I think XLD canīt handle shn-files either.
    "Iīm full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 4,991 Times in 326 Posts

    Default

    Just checked it with some shn-files I had left at an external: Cog 0.0.8 works just fine - so the problem at your side should have another reason...
    "Iīm full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indiana, U.S.
    Posts
    2,105
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Maybe this sounds obvious and probably like a bit of a chore, but you might be better off re-encoding your files over to FLAC.
    It compresses better than SHN, it's still being (slowly) updated as a format, and you can add metadata (artist, title, album, etc.) directly to each file once compressed to FLAC.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 4,991 Times in 326 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Maybe this sounds obvious and probably like a bit of a chore, but you might be better off re-encoding your files over to FLAC.
    It compresses better than SHN, it's still being (slowly) updated as a format, and you can add metadata (artist, title, album, etc.) directly to each file once compressed to FLAC.
    Thatīs the best choice I agree... But stupid iTunes wonīt still take the Flacs and so conversion to Apple lossless or wav is still the 1st choice for us poor Mac users.
    "Iīm full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 312 Times in 18 Posts

    storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspace View Post
    Thatīs the best choice I agree... But stupid iTunes wonīt still take the Flacs and so conversion to Apple lossless or wav is still the 1st choice for us poor Mac users.
    Hey Cyberspace, is there a VLC for Mac? And/or does Foobar have a Mac installation?
    They will handle SHN files with no problem.

    [EDIT] I'm stupid today. VLC doesn't play SHN. But Foobar does!
    Last edited by Phred68; 2016-03-22 at 04:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 4,991 Times in 326 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    Hey Cyberspace, is there a VLC for Mac? And/or does Foobar have a Mac installation? They will handle SHN files with no problem. [EDIT] I'm stupid today. VLC doesn't play SHN. But Foobar does!
    Sadly Foobar for Mac is not available, but Cog and eventually Max works for shn-files.
    "Iīm full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indiana, U.S.
    Posts
    2,105
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    Hey Cyberspace, is there a VLC for Mac? And/or does Foobar have a Mac installation?
    They will handle SHN files with no problem.

    [EDIT] I'm stupid today. VLC doesn't play SHN. But Foobar does!
    VLC for Mac?
    Yep!
    Here's a direct link to the most current version - http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/videolan/v.../vlc-2.2.2.dmg
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    1,436
    Thanked 4,991 Times in 326 Posts

    Default

    Yes, VLC is the best media player for the Mac since many years - plays almost everything, except the shns...
    "Iīm full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 312 Times in 18 Posts

    storm

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaMike View Post
    I've used Cog for the past several years on my MacBook to play old SHN files, but it seems that this program is either decommisioned or no longer compatible with the latest version of OSX. Any recommendations for another program that can play SHN without converting them to WAV first??
    VLC or Foobar play SHN (and just about everything else) with no problems.
    (Dunno if they are available for Mac, and you might need a SHN plugin for Foobar)

    Hope this helps.

    [EDIT] I'm stupid today. VLC doesn't play SHN. But Foobar does!
    Last edited by Phred68; 2016-03-22 at 04:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •