Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHN on Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 326 Posts

Pine Player: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pine...12075769?mt=12

Small, consumes hardly resources, easy to handle, adjustable, plays almost everything and is up to date. Think this comes very close to what I was looking for. Well, not an complete replacement for iTunes but an very good player.
    "Im full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,958 Times in 129 Posts

Still need to demo Vox...

Songbird runs just fine in 10.13.6 FYI. 10.14.0 too but this new OSX has too many bugs and general laggy performance with the .0 release IMHO. (Not to mention the plethora of installer bugs right off the bat.) Check out Dosdude1 on the Mac Rumors forum for OSX installer help and patches FYI. Or maybe 10.13 will end up being the last stable version of OSX? It sure isn't long for this world at this point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Still need to demo Vox...

Songbird runs just fine in 10.13.6 FYI. 10.14.0 too but this new OSX has too many bugs and general laggy performance with the .0 release IMHO. (Not to mention the plethora of installer bugs right off the bat.) Check out Dosdude1 on the Mac Rumors forum for OSX installer help and patches FYI. Or maybe 10.13 will end up being the last stable version of OSX? It sure isn't long for this world at this point.
    You are completely right with 10.14! 10.14.1 is out meanwhile but the system is still buggy. The stupid installer gave me their new filesystem APFS at my internal by the way which is an crime as APFS maybe o. k. for SSDs but never for normal HDs! Had to reinstall the complete thing again.

Normally I dont do any "updates" of the OS if not the .3 version is out at least. Im on an Mac since more than 21 years now since "Classic" 9 and their best hit was 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and then it went downhill very fast... The decrease of the update circles from 2 down to 1 year only was not healthy too. But this time I did the "update" before as I hoped for an solution for an very annoying bluetooth problem but this failed... I should have known it before!
    Last edited by Cyberspace; 2018-12-03 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,958 Times in 129 Posts

Yeah, Apple turned into a phone company. The pro computers cut off after 2012. We very well might be on the last stable version of OSX with 10.13.6. Definitely keep your master disk image for 10.6.8 around too! I'm moving into Linux going forward. Looks like that's where the pro audio community is going as well. Oddly, unless you're building a specialty desktop Hackintosh with the latest Intel CPU, the pro Macs from 2010 - 2012 are the biggest bang for the buck you can get right now.

(Not so) humble opinions and all that...

Fingers crossed that 10.15 will be a bug fixed 10.14 (like .13 is to .12) and we get a little more out of them.

Really digressing from shn files! Sorry!

Thanks

Funny.... I think about moving to Linux as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_OS

This is my favorite so far and we hardly loose the look and feel of OS X.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 45 Posts

Yeah, Apple turned into a phone company. The pro computers cut off after 2012. We very well might be on the last stable version of OSX with 10.13.6.
    I've found Mojave fine personally, though my hardware is mid-spec from 2017 so it's probably optimised for the later versions.
    My MacMini (2015) runs like crap on whatever OS I've run on it, way too underpowered for later versions. Should upgrade to an SSD on it but can't bothered with the phaff (I only use that machine as a Seed Box and File Server).

With Homebrew and PlayOnMac it does pretty much everything I need.

Oh, and my old MacMini (2010) runs Windows 10 in permanent Bootcamp mode really nicely. No corner untouched!

Thanks

Yeah, Apple turned into a phone company. The pro computers cut off after 2012.
    What's the problem with the 2013 Mac Pro? Is there some dealbreaker?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    What's the problem with the 2013 Mac Pro? Is there some dealbreaker?
    It's 2018 now! It represents very poor bang for buck. I ruled it out on those grounds when I was buying a new Mac a couple of years ago. Also, if I recall correctly some people were disappointed with the expansion options back in 2013, and again that technology has changed a lot since then.

I personally think the new multi-core Mac Minis look promising, but that's from a software development point of view rather than a heavy-duty media content creation point of view. And I've been really frustrated by how Macs handle video these days. Half the time they refuse to wake up all the monitors. Because modern video connections have smarts at both ends, there are now too many ways for things to fail. Dunno what the state of play is like on other platforms. Linux used to be pretty dreadful at video, TBH (mainly due to ideological opposition to closed source video drivers).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    It's 2018 now! It represents very poor bang for buck. I ruled it out on those grounds when I was buying a new Mac a couple of years ago. Also, if I recall correctly some people were disappointed with the expansion options back in 2013, and again that technology has changed a lot since then.
    Understood, but I'm asking in the context of Jim's observation that 2010-2012 models offer good bang/buck, and wondering if there's a reason to not get a 2013 if the opportunity arises. I'm told that a 2010-2012 Mac Pro would need a new video card to be able to run recent versions of OS X, for example, so that's a demerit for that model.

In other words, let's say that, hypothetically, I were in a position to be given a 2010-2012 model or a 2013 model. (Let's also say that I can't afford to buy a new Mac Pro myself; neither of those statements are really hypothetical.) Is there a reason to turn down the 2013 in favor of the earlier model?

BTW you're talking to someone who's still using a 2010 MacBook Pro (with a flaky GPU!) and running Snow Leopard most of the time. I don't love being behind the curve, but then again given what Apple has become, I do like refusing to participate in their recent world of headphone dongles and broken promises...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Understood, but I'm asking in the context of Jim's observation that 2010-2012 models offer good bang/buck, and wondering if there's a reason to not get a 2013 if the opportunity arises.
    Aaah, OK.

In other words, let's say that, hypothetically, I were in a position to be given a 2010-2012 model or a 2013 model. (Let's also say that I can't afford to buy a new Mac Pro myself; neither of those statements are really hypothetical.) Is there a reason to turn down the 2013 in favor of the earlier model?
    To be honest, I can't answer that without doing more research. If I were being given a 2013 I personally wouldn't say no, but then I have a pretty insane collection of machines so am not the best role model.

BTW you're talking to someone who's still using a 2010 MacBook Pro (with a flaky GPU!) and running Snow Leopard most of the time. I don't love being behind the curve, but then again given what Apple has become, I do like refusing to participate in their recent world of headphone dongles and broken promises...
    Well, I'd still be using my 2008 Mac Pro (which had 2 x quad core server grade processors and 20Gb of RAM) if it hadn't inconveniently refused to ever power up again after one of the rare times I had to power it off.