Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The required death of the .SHN format

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon.q3 View Post
    Better alternative for the Linux user:

https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_metaflac.html

metaflac --set-tag=ARTIST="ARTIST" --set-tag=ALBUM="ALBUM" --set-tag=TRACK="TRACK" --set-tag=TIT2="TITLE" --set-tag=TYER="YEAR" --import-picture-from="/path/to/jpeg"
    Yes sir.
    Here is the script (admittedly, someone better versed in Bash would make a better script) I wrote that employs metaflac:

#!/bin/bash
    # This script takes the tag information from existing FLAC files and writes it
    # to each FLAC file's corresponding MP3 file.

# If no parameters are passed to the script, print how to use it, then exit.
    # If no FLAC files are found, print an error message, then exit.
    if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo Usage: $(basename $0) FILESPEC.flac
    exit
    elif [ ! -s "$1" ] ; then
    echo No files to tag!
    exit
    fi

# The "for" loop that allows more than 1 file to be specified, Can use single
    # file name or example *.flac
    for x in "$@" ; do
    FLAC="$x"
    MP3=$(basename "${FLAC%.flac}.mp3")
    [ -r "$FLAC" ] || { echo can not read file \"$FLAC\" >&1 ; exit 1 ; } ;

# This section pulls tag info from the FLAC file and stores it as variables.
    TITLE="$(metaflac --show-tag=TITLE "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    ARTIST="$(metaflac --show-tag=ARTIST "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    ALBUM="$(metaflac --show-tag=ALBUM "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    TRACKNUMBER="$(metaflac --show-tag=TRACKNUMBER "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    TRACKTOTAL="$(metaflac --show-tag=TRACKTOTAL "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    COMMENT="$(metaflac --show-tag=COMMENT "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    DATE="$(metaflac --show-tag=DATE "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    GENRE="$(metaflac --show-tag=GENRE "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    DISCNUMBER="$(metaflac --show-tag=DISCNUMBER "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"
    DISCTOTAL="$(metaflac --show-tag=DISCTOTAL "$FLAC" | awk -F = '{ printf($2) }')"

# This section tags each MP3 file with the tag information from its
    # corresponding FLAC file, stored in the variables immediately above.
    echo TAGGING TrackNumber/TrackTotal for "$FLAC"
    id3 -M -n "$TRACKNUMBER" -y "$DATE" "$MP3"
    eyeD3 --preserve-file-times -1 -t "$TITLE" -a "$ARTIST" -A "$ALBUM" -n "$TRACKNUMBER" -c "$COMMENT" -Y "$DATE" -G "$GENRE" "$MP3"
    if [ ! -n "$DISCTOTAL" ] ; then
    eyeD3 --preserve-file-times -2 -t "$TITLE" -a "$ARTIST" -A "$ALBUM" -n "$TRACKNUMBER" -N "$TRACKTOTAL" -c "$COMMENT" -Y "$DATE" -G "$GENRE" -d "$DISCNUMBER" "$MP3"
    else
    eyeD3 --preserve-file-times -2 -t "$TITLE" -a "$ARTIST" -A "$ALBUM" -n "$TRACKNUMBER" -N "$TRACKTOTAL" -c "$COMMENT" -Y "$DATE" -G "$GENRE" -d "$DISCNUMBER" -D "$DISCTOTAL" "$MP3"
    fi
    done
    Last edited by oldpink; 2016-07-15 at 10:09 PM.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Funny thread, especially since A_L and I were chatting on FB about it a few days ago...

So I am converting all my SHN to FLAC, and I can easily tell when FLAC was released, just by looking in my trash folder.... the amount of roios released in SHN after 2001 dramatically drops.

I am amazed it is taking 14 years to finally convert all of my files to FLAC.

Thanks

Oh, and the reason I started doing it, I just recently upgraded to a new AV system for my house, that can stream music from my network drive. It doesn't play SHN, and I wanted to listen to a show that was in SHN. Then when I went to install the SHN software to decode and re-encode it, it took some fussing with. That is what put the fire under me to convert.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orangemaze View Post
    Oh, and the reason I started doing it, I just recently upgraded to a new AV system for my house, that can stream music from my network drive. It doesn't play SHN, and I wanted to listen to a show that was in SHN. Then when I went to install the SHN software to decode and re-encode it, it took some fussing with. That is what put the fire under me to convert.
    You old fart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjmack View Post
    You old fart.
    Yes, yes I am.

studio_two Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tjmack View Post
    Another Windows only is "Bulk Rename Utility"
    I'll give that try. I've been looking for an alternative to "Ken Rename".

Thanks

Oh, and the reason I started doing it, I just recently upgraded to a new AV system for my house, that can stream music from my network drive.
    What kind of system? I would love to have something like that, if I could afford it.
    "You're my family and I love you. But you're terrible, you're all terrible" - Bob's Burgers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrFender View Post
    What kind of system? I would love to have something like that, if I could afford it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am in love with these, I thought of getting a HEOS Amp (https://usa.denon.com/us/wireless-mu...m-music-system), but it seemed wiser to get a second unit, since they can work in unison as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 43 Posts

Yes, yes I am.
    Old or not, no kissing up here, but let me just say that you are one of the major contributors to the Floyd collector community, if for nothing else than your excellent site that has been such an excellent resource for well over a decade (two decades?) straight.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Old or not, no kissing up here, but let me just say that you are one of the major contributors to the Floyd collector community, if for nothing else than your excellent site that has been such an excellent resource for well over a decade (two decades?) straight.
    Thank you. It has been my pleasure to work on the site, and to take peoples suggestions and to add more features. Sadly my current job takes up too much of my time for me to actively develop more features these days.

But the thanks, really should go to the community, who has contributed the awesome data, many suggested improvements, and more importantly, the incredible recordings of the shows listed.