Page 211 of 219 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2189

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

So I'd heard the complaints about the piercing highs on the OBC and Pompeii remixes, but having listened a few times I hadn't really been bothered by them -- until yesterday, when I put the first two tracks of OBC on with my IEMs, and I had to turn it off!

I have access to Adobe Audition -- anyone have any advice on how to implement a dynamic EQ on this mess? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,107 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patsdelight View Post
    I'm a few posts behind, so this may have already been addressed, but in the case of the TEY Sampler that was released online on HDTracks several months ago, it is clear that there absolutely was a separate mastering pass done with less NR and better EQ choices for some of the material released there (and at 24/96, no less). My complaint, (and I think jimfisheye's) is this: why this was not done for the individual volumes released on HDTracks? Releasing material on HDTracks would imply that sound quality would be the main concern, and would implicitly eliminate overuse of NR and overly bright EQ choices and/or excessive dynamic compression. Some of the material on the HDTracks Sampler seems to have mastered with these ideals in mind. Why not do that for all of TEY sets? (Time and money, I'm guessing, but still, we're talking less EQ/NR/etc, not more work. A separate mastering pass could be as simple as bypassing the NR/EQ and just re-rendering. Not that time-intensive, IMHO.)

And yes, I would rather have this material "as-is" rather than not at all, but the HDTracks release baffles me - it seems like a bit of missed opportunity, especially given Floyd's history of careful attention to sound quality.

Just my two cents, I know...
    It's more than two cents as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't have said it better myself, this is the main reason of my disappointment with the HDTracks releases, I wouldn't have had a problem with shelling out some extra cash if the above issues were to be taken into consideration. Releasing them with the exact same mastering for all of the tracks as on the box set release makes them totally redundant, not to say worthless.
    Last edited by Bert13; 2017-03-30 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    It's more than two cents as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't have said it better myself, this is the main reason of my disappointment with the HDTracks releases, I wouldn't have had a problem with shelling out some extra cash if the above issues were to be taken into consideration. Releasing them with the exact same mastering for all of the tracks as on the box set release makes them totally redundant, not to say worthless.
    It's not redundant or worthless for those who passed on the physical releases and are only interested in having a choice for the audio tracks.

Thanks
    Thanked 37,032 Times in 441 Posts

Have they done a fresh transfer of Interstellar Overdrive for the RSD release, Roscoe59?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Have they done a fresh transfer of Interstellar Overdrive for the RSD release, Roscoe59?
    I have no idea. I think my credit on this release is more of a make-up call for leaving my name off the big box credits.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    I only wish the Floyd had made their opinion known regarding record Cos.

There's some fodder there for a great song IMO.

Maybe they could express the sentiment musically... I dunno, it's just an idea...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,731 Times in 129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinkaline View Post
    I only wish the Floyd had made their opinion known regarding record Cos.

There's some fodder there for a great song IMO.

Maybe they could express the sentiment musically... I dunno, it's just an idea...
    By the way, which one's Pink?

Thanks

Anyone's know why andy jackson or another guy of pink Floyd camp use the mono version for the 1971 bbc?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,731 Times in 129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pf94 View Post
    Anyone's know why andy jackson or another guy of pink Floyd camp use the mono version for the 1971 bbc?
    Because it was there and should be preserved right along with the stereo mix?

The real question is what happened to the stereo mix master? And... apparently they didn't even have a poor high generation cassette copy of this one to include? (Like they did for the '67 & '68 shows. Even though many of us have better copies of those too.)

The good news is we have an excellent copy of a transcription disc with 3 of the songs and a post broadcast copy of the other two in excellent condition.

Thanks
    Thanked 37,032 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pf94 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge it's all the BBC has, so I have deduced from that that they didn't look further. They might alternatively have felt that the mono version was the safe choice for mastering. Nobody seems to be on record on the subject.