Page 113 of 220 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2195

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonmc57 View Post
    Pompeii will be about the 5.1 surround sound for me. I might try using two players to watch this, the audio through my oppo and the fan edit on my DVD player, it should work as the fan edit has been speed corrected.
    How will you do that,Echoes is one long pieace,and no dog song?

near Liverpool England, just across the Mersey on The Wirral
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dellboy View Post
    How will you do that,Echoes is one long pieace,and no dog song?
    I'll get around that.

Thanks
    Thanked 38,286 Times in 444 Posts

You've got to watch Nothing Part 14 - a wonderful piece and a decent film to accompany it too. If you are in a hurry scroll to the end of the broadcast to find it.

Thanks

I watched Nick's interview and he was asked if there would be any further releases of live stuff and booting the boots. "Very unlikely" which I guess roughly translates as "no" and overall one gets the distinct feeling that this set will be the very last word on this era and the chances of later live material is remote.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    You've got to watch Nothing Part 14 - a wonderful piece and a decent film to accompany it too. If you are in a hurry scroll to the end of the broadcast to find it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiyuG20bhO4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 27 Posts

A post from SHF:
    Some nuggets that you will hopefully appreciate:
    Nothing Part 14 is from a 2 track stereo mix down. No multis survive. AJ knew nothing about the early Echoes with alternate lyrics that was featured on the BBC Record Producers documentary a few years ago. (more on this later)
    Madamoiselle Nobs was remixed in 5.1 but the band didn’t want it included!
    AJ stated that the three tracks from 1972 Brighton Dome show features on the DSOTM Immersion set are the only surviving tracks in the archive. Another fan mentioned the Breathe recording from Classic Albums but he knew nothing about it. He wouldn’t be pressed on the topic (in a very polite way).
    Montreux 1970 is a stereo recording and they had no idea if it was direct from the desk or captured by onstage mics. AJ mentioned ******* by name and confirmed that Ron had listened to confirm this was not previously circulated.
    Regarding the decision to remix OBC, AJ stated that they had access to the multitracks (16 tracks) and they all felt it would benefit from a remix as it was made in a rush. I commented on how wonderful Childhood’s End sounded - in particular the drums. AJ said there was some rather odd recording techniques for the drums on that album - for some songs, drums were on one track (mono), others in stereo. He mentioned that it was poorly engineered and it was difficult achieving good sound for the remix but I think he did an admirable job.
    He said that the fixing the off-air BBC tracks was challenging. At this point AM joined the conversation and essentially said if the track wasn’t of a releasable standard it wasn’t included.
    AM said that they’d received a lot of negative comments from fans saying ‘you haven’t included this’ etc and then went on to single out Seabirds. AM said that the track labelled as Seabirds was labelled as such on the original tape box. They didn’t change the name as this was how it was labelled and if they asked the band (i.e. phoned Nick up to ask “we’ve found a track labelled ‘x’ what should it be called). AJ had previously stated that the multitrack for More were missing (should have been caught by the live stream as it was part of his speech). During our discussion he speculated that this may have been an alternative attempt at fitting the particular mood required by the film. When asked by another fan about the 1976 songbook which features the lyrics, AM went on to say they located a tape with a Roger vocal but it was inaudible (he didn't indicate if this was the same as featured in the film More).
    AM mentioned visiting the BBC tape archive where they were able to take 96/24 transfers and he would take a photo of the tape box. AJ would then sit and listen to them (sometimes nothing was on them that was relevant - AJ mentioned old radio plays). AM also mentioned the old Britannia Row tape collection from which a lot of material was salvaged.
    AM then went on to mention Nothing Parts 1 to 24. He suggested that there were multiple surviving multitrack tapes (he indicated these were the same as featured in the Record Producers documentary when someone referenced them). He said that he had intended to include these when the project was in development and these tapes were lying about. However, Endless River took over and when the project received the final green light in December 2015, things moved so fast that this was forgotten.
    AM also added that the Continu/ation disc was intended to mop up stuff and it was quite full. However, he said the only two things that were dropped were an alternate remix of Free Four with different lyrics that AJ prepared when remixing the album (is this new information?). He said it was too jarring to include it at the end of the OBC disc. He also mentioned that Roger Waters had given permission to include …. from the Body soundtrack. But time constraints prevented this.
    With respect to some of the omissions, AM said if fans have access to things that the archive may not have, they are always keen to hear.
    For the Committee songs, AM said that that only two tracks were included as these were the only ones easily obtainable from the film soundtrack itself and were not obscured by narration. He joked that he wanted to call one of them ‘Do you play bridge?’ in reference to a line from the film but the band were not keen on this.
    With regards to the price of the box, AM said that it is expensive, but its also ‘bloody expensive’ to make. It will be limited but not to the point it will sell out before Christmas. He said that once it’s gone (he estimated March/April 2017), then its unlikely to be repressed and it will be the individual releases that will replace them. He said that he accepts fans will be unhappy about the decisions but was keen to stress that you can wait for the individual releases so if you’re a Syd fan, buy the first few sets, if you want OBC, buy that set.
    And with that, I think thats the bulk of the discussion and sorry, AFAIK no one asked about the 5.1 mix of OBC. Happy to answer any questions or clarify the above. I must say it was some fantastic insight from AJ and AM (who were both very open) that I was grateful and I appreciated their time - we must have come across as sad devotees asking such questions.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    I watched Nick's interview and he was asked if there would be any further releases of live stuff and booting the boots. "Very unlikely" which I guess roughly translates as "no" and overall one gets the distinct feeling that this set will be the very last word on this era and the chances of later live material is remote.
    Yes, watched it too, and my "interpretation" is similar.
    Last edited by Pittylabelle; 2016-11-10 at 01:08 AM.
    Floydish shows visited by Pittylabelle:

1988 06 27 - Pink Floyd - Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany
    1990 07 21 - Roger Waters - Potsdamer Platz, Berlin, Germany
    1994 08 02 - Pink Floyd - Müngersdorfer Stadion, Cologne, Germany
    1994 08 23 - Pink Floyd - Parkstadion Gelsenkirchen, Gelsenkirchen, Germany
    2002 05 20 - Roger Waters - König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen, Germany
    2011 06 18 - Roger Waters - Esprit-Arena, Düsseldorf, Germany
    2014 03 22 - The Australian Pink Floyd Show - Emsland Arena, Lingen, Germany
    2016 07 18 - David Gilmour - Bowling Green, Wiesbaden, Germany
    2018 06 11 - Roger Waters - Lanxess Arena, Cologne, Germany
    2018 09 11 - Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Mitsubishi Electric Halle, Düsseldorf, Germany
    2019 06 18 - Alan Parsons Live Project - Halle Münsterland, Münster, Germany
    2022 07 06 - Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Halle Münsterland, Münster, Germany

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kimirkim View Post
    AJ mentioned ******* by name and confirmed that Ron had listened to confirm this was not previously circulated.
    *******? Hey! That's me!

Thanks

But who is AM? (And this is why I hate initials when referring to people. Last names, please.)
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    But who is AM? (And this is why I hate initials when referring to people. Last names, please.)
    I assume AJ is Andy Jackson.