Page 153 of 220 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2195

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

All blu ray checked and work perfectly. I must be lucky this time !
    Fearlessly, the idiot faced the crowd...

Smiling...

Thanks

I, for one, am loving this set. I admit the quality of the BBC stuff was a massive disappointment, considering I was expecting an upgrade to what I already had, but I have the better sources from here, so...

I am loving just about everything else, especially the quality of the video material. AHM and Echoes in Quad! Meddle in 5.1 sounds beautiful through my sound system. There are a few things I don't care for - like some of the remixed OBC tracks - but for the most part, I am very pleased, especially with some of the unexpected jems. No, it's not perfect, but I am very happy with it and appreciate all the hard work to put it together.

Not a single flawed disk or booklet falling apart in my set either, and I'm glad the printed memorabilia fits into a pocket in each disk case. Also happy there are no marbles or scarves!
    Last edited by Kit Rae; 2016-11-16 at 08:54 PM.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Does anyone else hear a flickering tape/slight buzzing sound (IDK what you call it) on Echoes Pompeii CD version it most noticeable at the end of the song or is it just me
    Last edited by Sam; 2016-11-16 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks

Default Reaction in G

I was at the AOL Build series with Nick today and they took a few audience questions. I asked him, in so many words:

The Reaction in G from the Stockholm set does not sound like other known versions on the bootlegs, including a BBC version where the broadcaster states the name Reaction in G.. Are you sure that song is, in fact, Reaction in G? Also does any studio recording of that song exist?

He responded (in so many words from my recollection) that he could not answer the question, stated generally that the names given to the instrumentals are largely arbitrary. He further stated that they would not have recorded that type of instrumental in the studio. Finally, he stated that he was going to go back and give that track a listen. He and the interviewer joked that the fans often know more than he does, to their amusement.

There was a webcast that may be available.

Thanks

Music Direct has a 20% discount coupon available now ("MUSIC20") that makes the Early Years box set $437 with free shipping. Soundstage Direct has similar coupon but their original price at is much higher (much higher last time I looked).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Cheek View Post
    Seems I'm one of the lucky ones that got a working BD1 of Continu/ation. That's the one most have had trouble with, right?
    Received my package today from Amazon Italy and I just checked the Blurays, they all work perfectly for me.

BTW, did anyone consider the fact that a potential issue could be the firmware of the Bluray player? I had some problems in the past with some Disney Blurays that used the most recent Bluray norms, and I had to upgrade my standalone Bluray player to solve the problem (most Bluray players can be upgraded via USB key).
    Maybe the ones having trouble have actually their Bluray player with an old firmware?...

Thanks

Maybe we should copy the Steve Hoffman forum model and split this into two threads; one for music, mixing, production etc and one for purchasing online, deals, shipping etc?

Anyway, been having a further listen. Holywood, the More sessions outtake, is the same as Song 1 from Capitol Studios, albeit with the Morricone-esque guitar melody deleted. The 7/8 tempo of the E minor section is replaced with 4/4. The Em to Dm chord progression, and the rising chord progression are identical. I wonder is Song 1 is therefore the Genesis of Cymbaline? Holywood sounds a lot more like Cymbaline, so you can make the links.

Secondly, finally gave the Pompeii disk a quick spin. Yuck! It sounds like a teenage mixed this using free VST plugins and found a free 'ambient reverb' plugin and went hog wild. The attack of the drums is ruined by having multiple attacks per drum hit dotted around the stereo field on tiny delays, like the drum sound bled into other studio mics. Listen to the intro to One of These Days and you notice the bass is the same. It sounds like a crappy mono recording that has been bolstered with cheap stereo effects. The treble is also unbelievably bright sounding, like they tried to add a degree of fidelity simply by scooping the mids and adding ice-pick to the top end. What a mess! Also, why still call it Live At Pompeii? If this box set is meant to be about disclosing the origins of early Pink Floyd then lets have a bit of honesty. Most of Pompeii was recorded in Paris. Even if it looks like the band are jamming away in Pompeii vast chunks of the audio was dubbed on from the Paris sessions. Celestial Voices is a good example. On my old VHS copy of Pompeii the edits were abrupt! The band must have had better live tapes kicking around. They could have tracked down the Theatre de Champs Elysees masters?

Taking a step back, for most folk this will be all new Pink Floyd material. This is like our strange hobby going topside. It would be quite cool if the remaining Floyd could continue this work and make a box set of classic ROIO recordings? They could use the knowledge of this and other forums to find the best available versions of classic recordings, package them up as replica mini LPs of the original boots, sell them for a fortune...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orgone Accumulator View Post
    package them up as replica mini LPs of the original boots, sell them for a fortune...
    Don't give them such idea ! Please !
    Fearlessly, the idiot faced the crowd...

Smiling...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sb33334 View Post
    I was at the AOL Build series with Nick today and they took a few audience questions. I asked him, in so many words:

The Reaction in G from the Stockholm set does not sound like other known versions on the bootlegs, including a BBC version where the broadcaster states the name Reaction in G.. Are you sure that song is, in fact, Reaction in G? Also does any studio recording of that song exist?

He responded (in so many words from my recollection) that he could not answer the question, stated generally that the names given to the instrumentals are largely arbitrary. He further stated that they would not have recorded that type of instrumental in the studio. Finally, he stated that he was going to go back and give that track a listen. He and the interviewer joked that the fans often know more than he does, to their amusement.

There was a webcast that may be available.
    Thanks a million! Excellent work, getting those exact questions to him.

near Liverpool England, just across the Mersey on The Wirral
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOB View Post
    Received my package today from Amazon Italy and I just checked the Blurays, they all work perfectly for me.

BTW, did anyone consider the fact that a potential issue could be the firmware of the Bluray player? I had some problems in the past with some Disney Blurays that used the most recent Bluray norms, and I had to upgrade my standalone Bluray player to solve the problem (most Bluray players can be upgraded via USB key).
    Maybe the ones having trouble have actually their Bluray player with an old firmware?...
    It's not a firmware issue, my Oppo BD103D's firmware is up to date. The problem is definitely faulty discs.
    A valid question though MOB..