Page 158 of 220 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2193

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

Box arrived from the UK last night all in perfect condition and with the replacement disc. I'm at my girlfriend's place and her Blu-ray player is so old that it won't play any of the discs. I'll have to check them tomorrow when I'm home.

Since I already sampled all the audio I checked out the DVDs through 1969. Really nice upgrade in quality from what I already have for the most part. Pleasantly surprised to see that Emily from Top Of The Pops was re-transferred and almost completely restored (including that middle section) although there is still quite a bit of drop out. Much more watchable. So far the biggest highlight has been the Amougies footage. Wow, just WOW!

The disappointments? The Baton Rouge and Tous en Scene segments seem very over-saturated as if they felt it necessary to push every bit of color to the max. While this works okay for some closer shots it becomes very annoying during the wide shots. The big red circle with the Baton Rouge logo is a great example of this. It may have been better to approach the adjustments on a shot to shot basis as this looks like it received an overall color correction to the segment. Not too big of a deal but disappointing nonetheless.

Finally a big THANK YOU to Vernon for all of his dedication and work to bring us these treasures. His involvement was essential to this release and without him who knows how this would have turned out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 55 Posts

The Amougies footage is absolutely amazing! Until now we only had copies from french TV broadcasts (mostly b&w), but here the source was really the "Music Power" film master. And the Interstellar footage with Zappa made me cry! Such a holy grail since so many years, it is good to see it at last, especially with such a good quality!

For the Belgian TV footage from 1968, while the image transfer is great, they made a stupid mistake (or a plain wrong decision): they decided to overdub the video with the regular stereo versions. It is clearly a bad decision, because:
    - by using the stereo version of Paintbox (which is 15 seconds shorter than the original mono version), the last seconds of the clip are almost silent (while there was still music during the TV broadcast)
    - they replaced the unique early version of Corporal Clegg with alternate ending, with the common version
    - same for Set The Controls, that was an early mono mix on the TV show and was replaced by the album version

They repeated the Paintbox mistake for the French TV Paintbox promo, that was slightly longer originally (because at that time, French TV used of course the mono version, Relics was not released yet).

It seems that for most of the videos where the band was miming, they did not care about the original audio and decided to replace it with the common versions, deleting some unique mixes or creating blank passages.

I also agree with Ron that the colour treatment of Tous En Scène (and Bouton Rouge) is too extreme and to me the video quality of Tous En Scène is much better on the HRV anthology.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Pleasantly surprised to see that Emily from Top Of The Pops was re-transferred and almost completely restored (including that middle section) although there is still quite a bit of drop out. Much more watchable.
    Thanks for this info... you're the first to actually mention the TOTP clip and I was wondering how that came out given the amount of damage. Some of those dropouts looked irreparable so that's to be expected but good to know it's been almost completely restored.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,886 Times in 156 Posts

Here's an update for those with defective discs that are interested...

-------------------------------

Andy,
    Just to update, I finally got around to checking out another BD and my CONTINU/ATION BD 1 will not play in 4 of my different BD players as well. I am still checking some other discs.

Hi James,

Thanks for the email.

It’s not 100% confirmed yet, but it’s looking like a small quantity of discs have been compromised in some way through the process. All discs I’ve seen work fine. We’re in the process of recovering a sample of these discs so we can work out the problem. The plan is to set up a free disc replacement service in the coming days.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,
    Andy

Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    Thanks for this info... you're the first to actually mention the TOTP clip and I was wondering how that came out given the amount of damage. Some of those dropouts looked irreparable so that's to be expected but good to know it's been almost completely restored.
    Ron should have a bad memory, because to me, the "restoration" of the TOTP clip on the Early Years is just the replacement of the most damaged part by the previous part where they sing the chorus (repeated twice). And this is exactly what Ron did for the HRV Anthology.
    Are there really improvements compared to Ron's edit ?...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOB View Post
    Ron should have a bad memory, because to me, the "restoration" of the TOTP clip on the Early Years is just the replacement of the most damaged part by the previous part where they sing the chorus (repeated twice). And this is exactly what Ron did for the HRV Anthology.
    Are there really improvements compared to Ron's edit ?...
    I did notice some repeated footage but I thought that more was restored. In any case I think they did a pretty good job with this one.
    Last edited by Roscoe59; 2016-11-18 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 144 Posts

Is this the end of bootlegging indefinitely????

This one puts A Treeful Of Secrets and other box sets from the early years defunct and official, not to mention all the hard work the Harvested team put in to their releases. I won't be touching it until the price comes down. DSOTM Immersion is selling for $59 now untouched on Ebay
    Last edited by radiowaves; 2016-11-18 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radiowaves View Post
    Is this the end of bootlegging indefinitely????

This one puts A Treeful Of Secrets and other box sets from the early years defunct and official, not to mention all the hard work the Harvested team put in to their releases. I won't be touching it until the price comes down. DSOTM Immersion is selling for $59 now untouched on Ebay
    I rather see this Early Years box as an input for a revised Tree Full Of Secrets.
    In various forums, people keep asking: what could we do to complete Early Years with all other stuff non included?
    While the real question should be: what can we use from Early Years to do an updated version of A Tree Full Of Secrets?

One example for Scream Thy Last Scream: until now we had the Peter Jenner mix (1974) and the Malcolm Jones mix (1987). Now we should add the Andy Jackson mix from the box.
    Same for Vegetable Man: we had the early jam, the 1967 mix, the 1974 mix (Jenner) and the 1987 mix (Jones). The box just offers a new 2010 mix from Andy Jackson.

And for the videos, while there are a lot of visual upgrades in the box, I will keep the precious HRV Anthology, for:
    - better visuals for Tous En Scene
    - Belgian TV show with correct audio (unique mixes of Corporal Clegg and Set The Controls)
    - San Tropez with synched audio

And we know that for the BBC sessions we have to keep the recent boots, at least for the 1967 sessions.

That being said, I really love the new box, even with some mistakes or wrong research.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,747 Times in 129 Posts

That UK-only buy one get one free 1 day sale was sure a tease over here!
    That would have been the right price...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MOB View Post
    I rather see this Early Years box as an input for a revised Tree Full Of Secrets.
    In various forums, people keep asking: what could we do to complete Early Years with all other stuff non included?
    While the real question should be: what can we use from Early Years to do an updated version of A Tree Full Of Secrets?

One example for Scream Thy Last Scream: until now we had the Peter Jenner mix (1974) and the Malcolm Jones mix (1987). Now we should add the Andy Jackson mix from the box.
    Same for Vegetable Man: we had the early jam, the 1967 mix, the 1974 mix (Jenner) and the 1987 mix (Jones). The box just offers a new 2010 mix from Andy Jackson.

And for the videos, while there are a lot of visual upgrades in the box, I will keep the precious HRV Anthology, for:
    - better visuals for Tous En Scene
    - Belgian TV show with correct audio (unique mixes of Corporal Clegg and Set The Controls)
    - San Tropez with synched audio

And we know that for the BBC sessions we have to keep the recent boots, at least for the 1967 sessions.

That being said, I really love the new box, even with some mistakes or wrong research.
    I agree with you MOB. But adding anything to the box set would mean new artwork. The Have You Got It Yet has most of the tracks on this release too.
    Last edited by radiowaves; 2016-11-18 at 10:24 PM.