Page 165 of 220 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2193

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tezeta View Post
    Thanks for your notes, Kit! Very helpful to all I'm sure. I was pretty impressed with Moonhead, but which bootleg version do you prefer?
    The one on the Early Years disk is not bad, and it sounds nearly identical to some of the older bootlegs I have, but I prefer the one in the Let There Beeb More Light collection. It has more detail and no announcer dialogue, but it could also use some more low end. Something in between the two would be perfect.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Rae View Post
    The one on the Early Years disk is not bad, and it sounds nearly identical to some of the older bootlegs I have, but I prefer the one in the Let There Beeb More Light collection. It has more detail and no announcer dialogue, but it could also use some more low end. Something in between the two would be perfect.
    I am doing a meticulous comparison of all the BBC tracks, compared to several boots (Harvested BBC Archives Rev.B from 2009, Let There Beeb More Light, The SB Tapes, and other great sources shared mainly by our friend NeonKnight). A compilation with the best versions for BBC 67-69 would not be as simple as that. For some tracks it would be the Early Years, for some it would be HRV, for others Let There Beeb More Light (that copies a LOT from HRV, except the 1967 sources)...
    I'll post my conclusions later, but it is not as simple as combining 1 boot and the Early years. There are various sources, each with pros & cons.
    Last edited by MOB; 2016-11-19 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,125 Times in 104 Posts

Looking forward to your conclusions MOB. As I've said earlier all the material on the Let Their Beeb More Light compilation seems to have been compiled from existing sources, one of them the HRV release as you mention, as well as mp3 and other lossy sourced material, and as far as I was able to determine none of it was actually new to Yeeshkul.
    Last edited by Bert13; 2016-11-19 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    From everything I've seen, those Oppo machines are the shining exception.

Nice upgrade from the Q8 isn't it!
    Guess it's time for me to put my UK Q8 on Ebay

Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 144 Posts

There should be a get together in the light of this box set. Harvested releases are far more superior. The only difference with this release and the good sounded bootlegs are the fade outs in the tracks. Meddle and Pompeii are a mess and the fact that no one has reported that some of the track are lossy sourced is a headache. There is a better version of The Man And The Journey available here on Y, and also the Dramatis-ation disc sounds flooded with sound, too high, and barely a bass drum to be heard
    Last edited by radiowaves; 2016-11-19 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,125 Times in 104 Posts

Regardless the sub-par sound quality of the early BBC tracks on the Early Years set, when lossy sourced material sounds better than any available lossless sources I don't have any problems with them being lossy. Ultimately I judge sound quality with my ears, not with my eyes or with a pre-conceived conception of lossy sources being inferior.
    Last edited by Bert13; 2016-11-19 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 144 Posts

I have in my collection a version of Meddle from the pressing in Swindon. It has the most vibrant and flawless version I have ever heard of Echoes. My comparisons come from this pressing. If they were able to achieve the sound like this on a bootleg that was officially released, there would be no debate. Echoes stands alone as the making of DSOTM, as we all know. This collection could have done better with Pompeii, and the other recordings chosen by whoever created it.

Where is Dan Lynch and Wromanus when you need an opinion ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    Regardless the sub-par sound quality of the early BBC tracks on the Early Years set, when lossy sourced material sounds better than any available lossless sources I don't have any problems with them being lossy. Ultimately I judge sound quality with my ears, not with my eyes or with a pre-conceived conception of lossy sources being inferior.
    Well put Bert! It will take measured consensus in the community before we can label any particular cut as "better-sounding" on the box, or this boot, or that boot.
    COME AND SEE THE PRETTY LIGHTS

Thanks
    Thanked 10,747 Times in 129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Guess it's time for me to put my UK Q8 on Ebay
    I've enjoyed listening to that tape many times now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Indeed it is not a plot by PF or their management, but it IS a useless plot by the industry. Why "protect" something that can be ripped anyway only to exclude the "honest" people w/ a standalone BD player? It's complete lunacy!

And yet another reason to think twice about buying Blurays. Because I now appear to need to:

1. Check the audio format on the BD. Why? Because if no Dolby Digital 5.1 or old-fashioned DTS "core" audio: no multi channel audio for me even-though I payed a hefty price for my "Surround Amplifier".
    2. If no DD 5.1 or DTS audio on the BD: then buy a new amplifier.
    3. If a "new" encryption key is used on the darn disk: buy a new BD player. How the hell I'm supposed to determine if my player will work w/ disc X is a complete mistery. And even more so if it'll work in the (near) future.

So to listen to a (Pink Floyd) BD I might need to buy TWO new devices: a new amplifier (very expensive!) AND a BD player. Are they completely out of their minds??? Just include the bloody audio in DD 5.1 and "old fashioned" core audio compatible DTS apart from the 'all new and improved' DD and DTS formats and what have you not, darnit! This irritating fiddling w/ audio formats is getting silly (to speak w/ Monty Python). Now I know why some movies are released in packaging containing a Bluray and a DVD. It's not to please the people who don't have a BD player, but its to please those who do.
    Your Blu-ray player should be able to play any Blu-ray disc from your region if the firmware is up to date. Also, my old Samsung model player (not the only one, either) would down convert any of the new audio formats (even multichannel pcm) to DTS for output to an older amp via spdif - this was the system I used for years and it sounded pretty good. So, you shouldn't have to buy anything new if you have a player that will do that and it's up to date.

I'm currently using a Sony blu ray player that is several years old and hasn't been updated in years and it plays everything just fine (I was lucky not to get one of the early years discs with manufacturing issues.)

Also, the new DTS (and Dolby digital?) formats have "core" streams that should be completely backwards compatible with your old decoder.