Page 201 of 219 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2189

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 42 Posts

I realize that my post regarding my difficulties getting the ripped hidden 5.1 Meddle track to play got lost in the server crash over the weekend, a post that some of you may have read, with Ron, Buffalofloyd, and some others offering helpful advice.
    I'm a Linux user, so after ripping the entire disk using MakeMKV, then using FFMPEG, I directly copied the 5.1 DTS-HD MA (lossless) audio and MPEG4 video streams into a single MKV container format file.
    Not having blank Blu-Ray disks to burn to at the time, I had assumed that I could simply copy the newly created MKV to a flash drive, then play it with my standalone Blu-Ray player, since the manual specifically states that MKV container format files are supported through the USB port.
    Well, the file shows up in the menu and the video showing the white on black text showing each song title shows, but the audio is a faint crackle and nothing more.
    Wanting to be sure that the USB worked at all, I put a second MKV file on the flash drive, this time reducing the audio to lossy DTS 5.1, then tried playing that, which worked perfectly at last, but still not directly playing lossless audio obviously.
    Coming to the conclusion that the real source of the problem was likely that the USB port was crippled and unable to directly play the DTS-HD MA stream, I first used tsMuxeR (also available for the Windoze platform, btw) to create a Blu-Ray ISO of the lossless MKV created earlier, then burned to a blank BD-R disk, then inserted the newly burned BD-R into the standalone player.
    Sure enough, my player is now playing the full resolution Meddle now in all its 5.1 glory, and it's astonishingly good!
    There was some criticism of some of the audio for this further back in this thread, but it's amazing, with OotD bouncing back and forth in both side speakers, then in the left and right front.
    What's really surprising is just how cool "San Tropez" and "Seamus" suddenly sound, with the side speakers getting such a workout that my cat was glancing back and forth between them, especially with the dog's barking.
    Listening to the spacy middle section of "Echoes" while typing this, it's so good that it's giving me hackles, and my cat is again glancing back and forth at the speakers.
    I've only listened to and watched about two hours total music/video total, and this is already tied with the wonderful footage (at last!) of Frank Zappa himself on stage as the big biggest highlights of the set so far.
    There's plenty more to listen to and watch, but the Zappa footage and this splendid 5.1 have both already more than made the price of admission totally worth it.
    I just wanted to end by letting my fellow Linux users know that it's possible to go from beginning to end with making this work entirely in Linux without ever needing to boot the hated Windoze, and I'll be happy to walk anyone through it if asked, having to do what little I can to follow Buffalofloyd's (big thanks, man) example when he gave me the basic tips and tools for how to get it done.
    Last edited by oldpink; 2017-01-25 at 09:47 PM.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

storm

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    I realize that my post regarding my difficulties getting the ripped hidden 5.1 Meddle track to play got lost in the server crash over the weekend, a post that some of you may have read, with Ron, Buffalofloyd, and some others offering helpful advice.
    I'm a Linux user, so after ripping the entire disk using MakeMKV, then using FFMPEG, I directly copied the 5.1 DTS-HD MA (lossless) audio and MPEG4 video streams into a single MKV container format file.
    Not having blank Blu-Ray disks to burn to at the time, I had assumed that I could simply copy the newly created MKV to a flash drive, then play it with my standalone Blu-Ray player, since the manual specifically states that MKV container format files are supported through the USB port.
    Well, the file shows up in the menu and the video showing the white on black text showing each song title shows, but the audio is a faint crackle and nothing more.
    Wanting to be sure that the USB worked at all, I put a second MKV file on the flash drive, this time reducing the audio to lossy DTS 5.1, then tried playing that, which worked perfectly at last, but still not directly playing lossless audio obviously.
    Coming to the conclusion that the real source of the problem was likely that the USB port was crippled and unable to directly play the DTS-HD MA stream, I first used tsMuxeR (also available for the Windoze platform, btw) to create a Blu-Ray ISO of the lossless MKV created earlier, then burned to a blank BD-R disk, then inserted the newly burned BD-R into the standalone player.
    Sure enough, my player is now playing the full resolution Meddle now in all its 5.1 glory, and it's astonishingly good!
    There was some criticism of some of the audio for this further back in this thread, but it's amazing, with OotD bouncing back and forth in both side speakers, then in the left and right front.
    What's really surprising is just how cool "San Tropez" and "Seamus" suddenly sound, with the side speakers getting such a workout that my cat was glancing back and forth between them, especially with the dog's barking.
    Listening to the spacy middle section of "Echoes" while typing this, it's so good that it's giving me hackles, and my cat is again glancing back and forth at the speakers.
    I've only listened to and watched about two hours total music/video total, and this is already tied with the wonderful footage (at last!) of Frank Zappa himself on stage as the big biggest highlights of the set so far.
    There's plenty more to listen to and watch, but the Zappa footage and this splendid 5.1 have both already more than made the price of admission totally worth it.
    I just wanted to end by letting my fellow Linux users know that it's possible to go from beginning to end with making this work entirely in Linux without ever needing to boot the hated Windoze, and I'll be happy to walk anyone through it if asked, having to do what little I can to follow Buffalofloyd's (big thanks, man) example when he gave me the basic tips and tools for how to get it done.
    I'm so glad you liked the Meddle 5.1 mix, oldpink. A friend of mine was generous enough to make me an MKV too and I was able to extract a full resolution flac & cue file using Audiomuxer. I then opened the resulting cue file in Foobar and separated (or "converted" really) into 5.1 flac tracks without loss. So I now have 24-96 5.1 flacs of Meddle and a lifelong dream has been realized. Also pulled the 24-96 stereo mix out with Audiomuxer, did the same thing in Foobar. Holy smokes! Meddle sounded absolutely amazing in my car today. My wife said I walked in like the Cheshire Cat. Totally agree about the 5.1 mix, it is just astounding - I still think they messed up the "chorus" part of OOTD but everything else is, well, magical! I heard things I haven't heard before and what I have heard before is just incredibly 'improved'. Perhaps that bit of OOTD isn't quite right because this was not the final mix after all? Perhaps the real reason it's hidden is because it wasn't 100% ready? Either way, well worth the listen and about 90% BRILLIANT. I love this album, always have and now I love it that little bit more....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    I still think they messed up the "chorus" part of OOTD but everything else is, well, magical! I heard things I haven't heard before and what I have heard before is just incredibly 'improved'. Perhaps that bit of OOTD isn't quite right because this was not the final mix after all?
    I think it might well be the reason that this mix was not released. PF's standards are pretty high and the "mess up" of one of their best known tracks is acceptable. I hope they'll fix it for an official release.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,731 Times in 129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    I think it might well be the reason that this mix was not released. PF's standards are pretty high and the "mess up" of one of their best known tracks is acceptable. I hope they'll fix it for an official release.
    That crude editing mistake is pretty glaring for sure. (It sounds like they were to edit together two mixes in mastering and glaringly missed a gain setting.) But the blinding high end mastering disaster happened not only to this but specifically ALL the new remixes. OBC & Pompeii are similarly destroyed. This wasn't held back for that or all 3 would have been. It's got to be an intentional easter egg and it's also got to be an unintentional disaster.

This bums me out the most in this set because you can still hear the remains of some truly excellent mix work.
    Funnily enough, Meddle is the least damaged and the 5.1 mix can probably be rescued from some restoration mastering work (if they don't correct this later themselves). No chance for the stereo mix though. Same for the stereo only mix of OBC. Too destroyed. Something went way beyond disaster with Pompeii with noise reduction artifacts louder than the music and then subjected to the ear bleeding high end thing.

Between this and the just epic blowing off of the BBC material (with not even the slightest attempt made in mastering help or even finding sources) this set is showing it's colors as a low budget version of this release in contrast to the packaging and price that suggest deluxe edition.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,731 Times in 129 Posts

Default And another thing about Pink Floyd mix standards

Speaking of their high mix standards - which led to most of the early live mono or 2 track mixes not being officially released back in the day - which they even discuss in interviews.

These videos they put on the bluray discs from the nice clean archive copies and the cleanest sound we've heard before and all.
    The audio comes from a completely separate set of mics put up by the film people. This was SOP during this period as the mixing boards didn't have multiple outputs to create sends for the video audio feed and/or do it correctly. So they put up their own mics which you see in the video (which is why you see double mics on the vocals for example).

Now for most bands, this video mix might just turn out better or more complete than a board feed would have. Some live mixes could be pretty crude and the film guys knew this.
    For Pink Floyd however, it was literally the opposite. They had elegant well balanced mixes with live use of delay boxes for ambience and of course a live surround sound mix. So the film mixes are very simple crude mixes from the separate set of mics and they completely miss the elegant live mix the band's engineers had going.

That is what it is. But there would have been SO much opportunity with the clean copies of these film mixes to restore a correct balance and redo some of the live ambience and balance. Even combining live audience recordings that exist for some things. And they didn't even make the slightest attempt to do a single damn thing! It doesn't lessen having these wonderful clean copies but it's a disappointing dismissal to say the least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darryll View Post
    If I could easily sell them that would be fine. But I'm finding the local record stores will not buy a cannibalized box-set. They actually told me if I don't give up the cases (which of course have the booklets attached) they don't want them. Yet I know there would be plenty of Pink Floyd fans who could not afford $700 and would love to buy 8 stand alone Blue-rays (or DVDs) at a bargain price. Oh well...
    There's this thing, I think it's called "The Internet" or some such. I've heard you can buy and sell things there...

FWIW, my copy of the box has some vinyl that I'm likely to never play.
    [Ducks...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darryll View Post
    All great points on how this box-set didn't deserve the high-end pricing.

And not to minimize everything you cover here, but my biggest problem now that I've owned it for just over a month (and before I bought it), is what the hell am I supposed to do with these 8 coasters (Blue-ray or DVD) that I'm never going to need or play.

If I could easily sell them that would be fine. But I'm finding the local record stores will not buy a cannibalized box-set. They actually told me if I don't give up the cases (which of course have the booklets attached) they don't want them. Yet I know there would be plenty of Pink Floyd fans who could not afford $700 and would love to buy 8 stand alone Blue-rays (or DVDs) at a bargain price. Oh well...
    I might be interested in the Dvd's. Send me a pm!

Thanks

MOD EDIT: Keep that sort of thing to Private Messages (PMs).
    Last edited by mooncusser; 2017-01-30 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks

??? Selling on ebay is quite simple.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Just an honest question as I do not even have passing knowledge about these things. JFE said that the remastering on some of the albums on this set has destroyed them with unnecessary fiddling.
    What I wanted to know was, is this something that could easily be picked up using the right tools? If so, why did Andy think it was ok to release these? Are we saying that he didn't do his job properly?