Page 41 of 220 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

Imagine how this thread might read if we had never had the benefit of HRV and others. This is how the record company is perceiving the release will be met by fans who haven't heard the vast majority of this material before.

They are giving us a (near) full TM&TJ show from 1969 in pristine quality; they are giving us a complete 1967 live recording, and they are giving us never-before-circulated Barrett-era studio recordings. It is a wonderful release. Imagine you'd never previously heard (most of) these first two recordings and ponder your, 'I can't believe this is happening' post. This is how some people will react, although if you are that keen a fan, you'd have probably already investigated further, so in reality there mightn't be many of these people around.

I can't see us getting any further material from this period unless they can be persuaded to go down the 'releasing FLAC soundboards' route. I can imagine perhaps another set, maybe 1972-1983, including more material from 1972 such as the early Dark Side recordings. Hope so....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    By the way, is anybody considering to buy one or more of the 6 volumes when they come available separately? You'll miss out on the 7th volume called "BONUS CONTINU/ATION" then (see superdeluxeedition.com). And I think won't get the vinyl singles. The 7 volumes are:

1. 1965-67 CAMBRIDGE ST/ATION (2 CD's + 1 video disk)
    2. 1968 GERMIN/ATION (1 CD + 1 video disk)
    3. 1969 DRAMATIS/ATION (2 CD's + 1 video disk)
    4. 1970 DEVI/ATION (2 CD's + 2 video disks)
    5. 1971 REVERBER/ATION (1 CD, 1 video disk)
    6. 1972 OBFUSC/ATION (1 CD + 1 video disk)

The "Bonus Continuation" 7th volume consists of 1 CD and 2 video disks. What you'll miss out on then is, in my opinion, some pretty interesting and essential stuff like:

• CD: The BBC sessions with Syd Barrett (!!!) from 25-9-'67 and 20-12-'67.
    • CD: Echoes live (the encore that was, I believe, not included in the DSotM box)
    • DVD/Blu-ray: Atom Heart Mother live in Amsterdam, Holland, 22-5-'72. (I've no idea who might have filmed this; I think it's audio only, even though it's on a video disk)

And then there's the 2 CD edition of "highlights" called "CRE/ATION" (for the friendly price of about 20). Interesting and essential things you'll get for your 20 Euro's are in my opinion:

• In The Beechwoods (never heard of it, prev. unreleased, WITH Syd Barrett!!!)
    • A 10+ minute version of 'Embryo' the way it was meant to be heard (BBC Session, 16 July 1970)
    • Live (band only) version of AHM
    • 'Nothing, part 14' (Echoes work in progress, 7.06 minutes)

Looking at the price tags and contents I might go for the separate release of volume "Cambridge Station" (because I love the Barrett stuff w/ Pink Floyd, Syd solo is only for die-hards). Might consider "Reverberation" because of the quad mix of Echoes (why not the whole Meddle album in 5.1 and Quad? I'd love to hear 'One of these Days' in quad). And the "Bonus Continuation", also because of the Syd stuff. But.... but... the Bonus Volume isn't separately released. Aaarghhh.
    The Amsterdam '72 show was non professional filmed. ... There once was a b/w film on YouTube.
    Maybe they do use this for the box.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks

IIRC the band was never satisfied with the mixing of Obscured By Clouds, could it be?. It always seemed very different soundwise to everything else they did, a very underrated album from their discography.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Journey Man View Post
    Imagine how this thread might read if we had never had the benefit of HRV and others. This is how the record company is perceiving the release will be met by fans who haven't heard the vast majority of this material before.

They are giving us a (near) full TM&TJ show from 1969 in pristine quality; they are giving us a complete 1967 live recording, and they are giving us never-before-circulated Barrett-era studio recordings. It is a wonderful release. Imagine you'd never previously heard (most of) these first two recordings and ponder your, 'I can't believe this is happening' post. This is how some people will react, although if you are that keen a fan, you'd have probably already investigated further, so in reality there mightn't be many of these people around.

I can't see us getting any further material from this period unless they can be persuaded to go down the 'releasing FLAC soundboards' route. I can imagine perhaps another set, maybe 1972-1983, including more material from 1972 such as the early Dark Side recordings. Hope so....
    Yes it is a great release, it is really finally opening the vaults and piecing together the best sources for alot of this material. It is just odd the missing pieces we know to exist and should be pretty easy to obtain and or clean up. Wish someone in the Floyd camp could just quickly address the missing pieces and why they were kept off as it would probably squelch the minor complaints about the set.

Thanks

I think this little lot is the band "signing off" on their early era. The odds and ends mentioned that are not featured have been omitted for a reason, and I can't see them wading further into this era. Whether they'll go the live shows download route or not remains to be seen. I think a 1973-1983 set is a certainty... that would be the place to unleash the 5.1 mix of "The Wall" James Guthrie has been working on for an eternity and of course it covers the era the band feel much more comfortable with. I'm also certain a 5.1 mix of "Animals" would be appreciated by most! Also, given how visual materials is scarcer during that era, it would also be an ideal container for the Wall live concert footage... time will tell. Maybe a third set covering the Gilmour led era is a possibility since there's no way Waters would want any of his stuff mixed in with that, and we know they worked on revamping AMLOR to remove the 80's sound from it... plenty of concert footage, etc etc.

What I think is important about this 65-72 set is not just the rarities and content but the fact they're finally acknowledging and accepting they actually existed as a band between Syd's departure and the release of DSOTM. That era has been shunned and buried for far too long and there's nothing to be ashamed of either. Sure, sometimes they may have been "blundering in the dark" but it was an interesting journey as they tried out all manner of experiments and concepts that eventually led them to DSOTM and beyond. In some ways the set could actually be subtitled "The Underground Era" as they were regarded as an "underground" band until DSOTM hit the jackpot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    [...] I think a 1973-1983 set is a certainty...
    Apart from all the Immersion overload? Hmmmm. But after seeing this Early Work released I'm very, very carefully getting just that teeny bit less depressed about "The Wall Live Video 1980/81" never seeing the light of day. It most certainly can NOT be more embarrassing for the band - or "not up to their high fidelity, high resolution bling bling, over the top light show" standards - than a non-professional film of the Amsterdam Rock Circus 1972 or their very cheesy lip syncing and playing pretend cricket outside the Belgian TV studio's to promote their early singles in black and white. All shame and standards have been let go for this release. Luckily!

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    What I think is important about this 65-72 set is not just the rarities and content but the fact they're finally acknowledging and accepting they actually existed as a band between Syd's departure and the release of DSOTM. That era has been shunned and buried for far too long and there's nothing to be ashamed of either. Sure, sometimes they may have been "blundering in the dark" but it was an interesting journey as they tried out all manner of experiments and concepts that eventually led them to DSOTM and beyond. [...]
    I totally agree!

P.S. We still have the Harvested release of "BBC Archives 1970 - 1971" or "Mooed Music" for a high quality version of the BBC Paris Cinema session of 30-9-1971.
    Last edited by meneerjansen; 2016-08-01 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 11 Posts

P.S. We still have the Harvested release of "BBC Archives 1970 - 1971" or "Mooed Music" for a high quality version of the BBC Paris Cinema session of 30-9-1971.
    But not for long on this tracker.

Thanks

No mention of whether the Paris Theatre 1970 recording is mono or stereo. As far as I know it only circulates as either mono master or fake stereo?

If it were mono, wouldn't it state this on the track list details. It differentiates between mono/stereo for CD1. Or can we actually expect a true stereo version, or was it only actually recorded in mono?

Thanks

I wonder how much stuff that was retrieved by members here and posted on Y! over the years that is on this release was leaked from one of the members or at least out of their collection (i.e. Nick Mason). I know that there was a lot of collection over the past couple of years by the band as evidenced in the YouTube videos that were taken down and some anecdotal stories I have heard but it makes me wonder if some of the stuff on this release was found by members here and went to the band or was it leaked out and ended up here in a higher generation before this release was even planned. Maybe this was already addressed in some part of this very long thread

Thanks

Apart from all the Immersion overload? Hmmmm. But after seeing this Early Work released I'm very, very carefully getting just that teeny bit less depressed about "The Wall Live Video 1980/81" never seeing the light of day. It most certainly can NOT be more embarrassing for the band - or "not up to their high fidelity, high resolution bling bling, over the top light show" standards - than a non-professional film of the Amsterdam Rock Circus 1972 or their very cheesy lip syncing and playing pretend cricket outside the Belgian TV studio's to promote their early singles in black and white. All shame and standards have been let go for this release. Luckily!

I totally agree!

Mooed Music will always rank as the most precious bootleg to me. It was the first one that I remember downloading from Napster one song at a time. I must have listened to each song a 100 times then. I love it! And the artwork is brilliant too. Always wanted to have it on Vinyl.
    After that comes The Man & The Journey, The Wall Demos and Monopoly (The Wall Live 1981 and bonus tracks from Birmingham 1970). I bought those 3 on silver in 2001 on a trip to Prague with a friend and remember listening to them on my Sony Discman on the bus home to Denmark while looking out at the night. KQED is also very special to me, I remember starting the download in the morning then going to work and only thinking about getting home to watch it 😊
    So this box set has extremely nostalgic values to me and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. November can't come fast enough.