Page 49 of 220 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    What did Zappa's kids do then? I thought they respected their father's legacy: Dweezil plays his fathers stuff live if I'm not mistaken.
    long and sad story that would derail this thread even more...

but to get a good idea check out this podcast:
    http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...-dweezil-zappa

but yeah, the zappa trust story was what came to my mind as well.
    money coming into play, it will destroy families, friendships, legacies... very sad.

Thanks
    Thanked 38,286 Times in 444 Posts

Has anybody ever directly asked Nick or any other member of the band whether Games For May was recorded? Somebody should when they start doing promotional interviews for the set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    First off keep in mind that I was very clear about posting a rumor. It started when I received a very mysterious PM on another forum from a member I had never heard of before (he joined last month). His PM was in the form of a 3 act play where the character's names weren't revealed but it wasn't too hard to figure out who they were. It seemed that he had some inside info to what went down but because I can't confirm any of this I don't want to post all the details. Instead, let's speculate on the facts:

OBC + Meddle in 5.1 were obviously planned for this release, the ad confirming this was almost immediately pulled the day before the official announcement. The next day those 2 mixes were gone. This means that someone pulled these mixes at the 11th hour and now a lot of expense had to go into reworking the contents and liner notes at the last minute. I'm assuming that the 5.1 mix of OBC was mixed down to stereo to be included as a new 2016 mix and that's why it's there. Only 2 people could have pulled these mixes, Gilmour or Waters.

Gilmour could have pulled these in order to milk them as future independent releases but not at the expense of swallowing the cost of reworking the contents, artwork, and liner notes. Plus the fact that they still could have seen independent releases in the future.

So why would Waters pull these 2 releases? And can he even outvote the other 2 members on something like this? I have my own theory (based on the PM) that involved someone else connected to the band but I want to see what the Y experts have to say about this first.
    This sort of weird shit has happened before w/ Floyd. Deep Purple has released complete live show after live show w/ liner notes by somebody from the fan club. Even Led Zeppelin released BBC sessions and complete shows after the famous DVD box set in 2003. Same thing goes for Iron Maiden, Zappa, etc. Why some stuff is released in a crippled form by the Floyd is a mystery to me and very often it seems like a war between Waters and Gilmour is the cause. All Barrett solo stuff (even the worst of the worst takes) has been released, but until now (49 years after 1967) Syd's stuff that's under the embargo of the Pink Floyd name (which he bloody invented!) has been held back. Barrett's family couldn't be the problem and finding the master tapes either.

I've no idea why the Floyds (read: Gilmour vs. Waters) are so bloody nervous 'bout releasing demo's and, especially, live stuff. They have nothing to be ashamed of. But if I look at the recent re-imaging of 'Amused to Death' and 'The Wall Live DVD' (2015) I have a feeling that Waters likes to fiddle with it. He has "George Lucas Syndrome" (GLS). It's typical that on the 'Wall Immersion Box' the demo's (luckily) are released, but abbreviated and fiddled with: some demo's appear twice, one long version and a snippet on another CD. Weird shit man!

One can only speculate. Maybe Waters is the bottleneck, maybe Gilmours producer friends actually do make horrble 5.1 mixes (I dunno who mixed the SACD to 5.1 but if you compare that one to Alan Parson's quad mix you get a sense of shame). Probably it's Waters though. Ha ha. He's always been a pain in the arse.
    Last edited by meneerjansen; 2016-08-03 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Has anybody ever directly asked Nick or any other member of the band whether Games For May was recorded? Somebody should when they start doing promotional interviews for the set.
    If i remember correctly (long thread)someone in this thread once spoke to Peter Jenner and he said that Games for may wasn't recorded((

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,673 Times in 137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fatoldpig View Post
    I wish there was a full 1972 show especially one with pic rant (nov,dec show).

Interstellar Overdrive with Frank Zappa shows only 11.26 min. Isn't it over 20 min long? Did they only record 11 min of video or parts of it edited out?

Any "Echoes" with early lyrics?
    I wish there was a full show from (starts listing nearly every show from 1970 - 72)...

I wish there was ANY show with the live surround mix recorded! I'd love to be wrong but I just know that nobody ever patched a multitrack deck to the outputs of their quad mixer. (The trippy part in quad AHM Suite and some of the parts in the Quad Pompeii are as close as we might ever get in full professional fidelity.)

Hearing the Games for May show (that was the first Azimuth Coordinator show right?) would have been mind bending back then! Hardly anyone had started flying sounds back and forth in stereo yet let alone spinning around the room.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    I wish there was a full show from (starts listing nearly every show from 1970 - 72)...

I wish there was ANY show with the live surround mix recorded! I'd love to be wrong but I just know that nobody ever patched a multitrack deck to the outputs of their quad mixer.

Hearing the Games for May show (that was the first Azimuth Coordinator show right?) would have been mind bending back then! Hardly anyone had started flying sounds back and forth in stereo yet let alone spinning around the room.
    Yeah! Thats why its my dream-to hear concert!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks

I have a feeling that Waters likes to fiddle with it. He has "George Lucas Syndrome" (GLS).
    I can see this and understand it to a point -most of the words/song ideas are his and I'm sure most artists want to put out their ideal version of the song they have in their head. I'm generally ok with this as long as they don't go down the Lucas road of essentially ignoring/refuse to acknowledge/disavowing the earlier version.
    "You're my family and I love you. But you're terrible, you're all terrible" - Bob's Burgers

Thanks
    Thanked 11,673 Times in 137 Posts

This sort of weird shit has happened before w/ Floyd. Deep Purple has released complete live show after live show w/ liner notes by somebody from the fan club. Even Led Zeppelin released BBC sessions and complete shows after the famous DVD box set in 2003. Same thing goes for Iron Maiden, Zappa, etc. Why some stuff is released in a crippled form by the Floyd is a mystery to me and very often it seems like a war between Waters and Gilmour is the cause. All Barrett solo stuff (even the worst of the worst takes) has been released, but until now (49 years after 1967) Syd's stuff that's under the embargo of the Pink Floyd name (which he bloody invented!) has been held back. Barrett's family couldn't be the problem and finding the master tapes either.

I've no idea why the Floyds (read: Gilmour vs. Waters) are so bloody nervous 'bout releasing demo's and, especially, live stuff. They have nothing to be ashamed of. But if I look at the recent re-imaging of 'Amused to Death' and 'The Wall Live DVD' (2015) I have a feeling that Waters likes to fiddle with it. He has "George Lucas Syndrome" (GLS). It's typical that on the 'Wall Immersion Box' the demo's (luckily) are released, but abbreviated and fiddled with: some demo's appear twice, one long version and a snippet on another CD. Weird shit man!

One can only speculate. Maybe Waters is the bottleneck, maybe Gilmours producer friends actually do make horrble 5.1 mixes (I dunno who mixed the SACD to 5.1 but if you compare that one to Alan Parson's quad mix you get a sense of shame). Probably it's Waters though. Ha ha. He's always been a pain in the arse.
    I've always thought this stuff was the result of marketing greed gone wild. You see it with other bands too. An album gets released as a CD only at first. Then a few months later the HD master comes out with around a $15 price increase. Or the surround mix is only released in a deluxe edition box set for $125. Their expected result: $$$$! Real world result: Most people only ever hear the CD.
    Also the 'leave a unique track off each version of the release' thing. The CD has bonus track A, the vinyl has bonus track B, the bluray has bonus track C, and none have all.

Deep Purple released Machine Head with a new 5.1 remix and no inclusion of the original 4.0. The original mix blows it out of the water too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    It's easy to lose sight of the fact that that show was designed and staged as what we'd now call a multimedia experience where Floyd attempted to take the audience on some kind of experience using music, sound effects, the azimuth co-ordinator, light show, props and things like bubbles being blown in a more controlled environment than the UFO club, hence a full on immersive affair that began the moment you entered the venue as they were playing tapes of sound effects in the foyer. Plus it all had to be "so terribly loud" which in that era was some achievement given how lousy PA systems were. That was one of the Floyd's aims, to try and make live shows an experience, push the boundaries hence Games For May was the first full on exploration of that. Furthermore, there was also an idea - which never came to fruition - of touring with some kind of circus tent set up using the azimuth unit which I guess would had been similar to what they aimed for with Games For May. Waters revisited that idea for The Wall tour but again, was not utilised.

So, I can imagine if anyone did suggest the idea of recording Games For May the idea would had been tossed aside since it would had only captured a part of the experience whereas Floyd were intent on the full on works... an idea they clearly worked on and refined and definitely perfected by the time of The Wall tour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    First off keep in mind that I was very clear about posting a rumor. It started when I received a very mysterious PM on another forum from a member I had never heard of before (he joined last month). His PM was in the form of a 3 act play where the character's names weren't revealed but it wasn't too hard to figure out who they were. It seemed that he had some inside info to what went down but because I can't confirm any of this I don't want to post all the details. Instead, let's speculate on the facts:

OBC + Meddle in 5.1 were obviously planned for this release, the ad confirming this was almost immediately pulled the day before the official announcement. The next day those 2 mixes were gone. This means that someone pulled these mixes at the 11th hour and now a lot of expense had to go into reworking the contents and liner notes at the last minute. I'm assuming that the 5.1 mix of OBC was mixed down to stereo to be included as a new 2016 mix and that's why it's there. Only 2 people could have pulled these mixes, Gilmour or Waters.

Gilmour could have pulled these in order to milk them as future independent releases but not at the expense of swallowing the cost of reworking the contents, artwork, and liner notes. Plus the fact that they still could have seen independent releases in the future.

So why would Waters pull these 2 releases? And can he even outvote the other 2 members on something like this? I have my own theory (based on the PM) that involved someone else connected to the band but I want to see what the Y experts have to say about this first.
    Rumor indeed. Maybe the mixes were just kind of underwhelming in surround? Or they could be sitting on them for another release as suggested, but what and when? Personally, I can live without the surround mixes, but I feel bad for other fans that are really into them...

Since Roger is into playing whole old albums on tour, maybe he's planning on touring Meddle and Obscured by Clouds in 2017 and wants to save the mixes to release in the super deluxe limited edition "Back in '72" box set. :-P