Page 51 of 219 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks

storm

Quote Originally Posted by jjy View Post
    ...."Why include these 2 mixes in a box for $400 and sell 1 million of them when we can sell a million Early years boxes and then a million Meddle SACDs and then a million OBC SACDs?".
    You may be onto something there. Pathetic, but I would line up for both of those as I love SACD surround! ATD and WYWH are sublime on SACD, imho. All I know is that if the surround mixes have been nixed, then we, the fans, end up losing (again). Having said that, I think it's wonderful that they've decided to release so much of the earlier stuff after dismissing it for so very long...

Guthrie, Jackson, whomever, let's hear those 5.1 mixes please!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    I'm assuming that the 5.1 mix of OBC was mixed down to stereo to be included as a new 2016 mix and that's why it's there.
    Downmix instead of dedicated stereo? I assumed they were going the Steven Wilson route and doing first stereo, then surround dedicated mixes. Can't see how a downmix would solve any perceived mixing problem, unless Guthrie just thought the rears were too aggressive or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,525 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
    Downmix instead of dedicated stereo? I assumed they were going the Steven Wilson route and doing first stereo, then surround dedicated mixes. Can't see how a downmix would solve any perceived mixing problem, unless Guthrie just thought the rears were too aggressive or something.
    Yeah, a surround mix that can also be downmixed to stereo and still work is a compromised surround mix. This is done intentionally for broadcast mixes - TV sports and the like where the dialog is in the C channel and then crowd sounds and the occasional athlete swearing near a mic in the surrounds. This is quick day to day work as opposed to a fussed over work of art. Music surround mixes do not fold down to stereo well, nor should they. They need to be separate intentional mixes.

I think a lot of people start a mix in stereo and then expand to surround. In the same way you might use small speakers in near field and/or low monitor levels to get a basic mix up (so as not to be distracted by the ear candy factor initially), starting in stereo is a similar workflow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    Guthrie, Jackson, whomever, let's hear those 5.1 mixes please!!!
    O, we will. You can count on that. The question is: when? The remasters from the 'Shine On' box were released on separate CD's too (after 20+ years I still don't know exactly what a remaster is and still don't hear the difference). Because if they hadn't then nobody would have heard them remasters. If we're lucky it's weeks, if we're out of luck then they'll wait 6 years, just like w/ the remixes of Syd's stuff in the 'Early Years' über box. But we'll get those 5.1 remixes of OBC and Meddle. Come to think of it, it would be pretty silly not to release 'Animals' in 5.1 then. 'Animals' is a much more essential album than OBC (which I consider to be of very marginal importance/interest).

Come to think of it even more: would be nice of them to release a 5.1 version of 'The Wall' too. But 'The Wall' is a different and difficult story. To begin with it's not an album from a typical multi-channel era (i.e. quad nor 5.1 was the fashion at the time of The Wall). Secondly, the (master) tape on which The Wall is recorded is in bad shape. The glue that the manufacturer used on professional tapes from around 1980 (i.e. The Wall and The Final Cut) became bad or "brittle" over time (as y'all know already from the interview w/ Gilmour about this issue). You have to bake them in an oven at approx. 50 degrees Celcius to be able to play them. You can see this in Vernon Fitch's book 'Comfortably Numb' for instance on page 70 on the photograph of the master tape of side 1. It says "Baked 1 hrs @125 °F 9/15/97 TML" (probably for some remaster). How the multi-track tapes at the time were, dunno. But 'The Wall' was recorded in quite a complex way. If I remember well from Vernons book then they created two tapes that could be used to record the orchestra somewhere else. These contained some sort of click track to keep them synched when the (stereo) master tapes were made. At least, that's what I understood from the technical side from it.

These are confusing but very, very good times for us Floydians. Finally a live version of DSotM (in an expensive box) and allmost al video from before 1972 that we can dream of and stuff of which we didn't even know the orig. tapes/film existed anymore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    So why would Waters pull these 2 releases? And can he even outvote the other 2 members on something like this? I have my own theory (based on the PM) that involved someone else connected to the band but I want to see what the Y experts have to say about this first.
    Well, maybe if you would share the info found on the PM with all the experts here they could come up with their own well informed opinions and theories.

For now, I guess I will just put my money on Roger finding a problem with the sibilants on the Obscured by Clouds 5.1 mix...

Now, the one who REALLY benefits the most from the multiple releases scenario (early years box + Meddle SACD + OBC SACD) since most of his income still comec from album sales and not touring, would be MASON.

So maybe Roger just showed some solidarity to his old bandmate, because after the obscene amount of money he surely has made out of all those Wall tours he has done in recent years, I really can't see him being THAT interested in the maximizing profits business.
    Last edited by danielcaux; 2016-08-04 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks

My speculative brain is running rampant at the moment...

If we assume that they had to have some CD content for 1972, then that would have to be the new stereo for OBC since there's no other 1972 audio in the box. That means it was always a part of it, unless they threw something else out. They couldn't very well have had two DVDs and no CD for 1972, or could they? And would the 5.1 even fit on the single DVD as it is?

Now, Meddle... 1971 is a single CD as opposed to every year except 1968 and 1972. So a second CD of new stereo Meddle would fit in nicely. Yet, no such thing. 1971 DVD is on the short side, so 5.1 might have fit and been thrown out.

In conclusion... I cannot arrive at any conclusion.

Thanks

If James Guthrie want to do The Wall, it is a no-brainer. He was there during the recording sessions, he knows exactly what the original intent was, and what should go where. I wouldn't have nobodt else oding it, he has a real legitimacy for this endeavour. That being said...

He IS undoubtedly a very slow man. On every forum you will see complaints from EVERYONE about it's working pace. He is slow, very very very slow. Ironically, he could be the best man for this, as the band was historically known for being very slow in the studio too at some times. For the moment, it is a rumor, nothing else. But what does it have to be him? WHy does it have to absolutly be him doing the remixes?

I'd like to say the mixes done by Andy Jackson were quite good, I don't mind them at all. He IS good too. He has a different approach to Guthrie, but it suits the Floyd very well. He obviously get it. Why couldn't it be him doing the work?

Thanks
    Thanked 35,748 Times in 430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    My surround obsession aside, I'd be overjoyed with that!
    I heard some of your surround mixes for the first time a couple of months ago, at long last, and really enjoyed them. It might be interesting for us to take a look at 1969-04-14 at some point 😎

Thanks

Okay, I'm really going off the deep end here...

Photo from euroshop.pinkfloyd.com:
    https://bandstores-completelyindepe.netdna-ssl.com/prodimages/afbaf9fb81b84caab847cba84cb5db11_huge.jpg

Zoom in and you'll see it's the 1972 Obfusc/ation volume, consisting of FOUR discs, one more than the single CD, DVD and Blu-ray from the revised tracklisting. Did they really throw out an entire disc at the last minute, with all the manufacturing problems it would probably entail?
    Last edited by Meddler; 2016-08-03 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
    Okay, I'm really going off the deep end here...

Photo from euroshop.pinkfloyd.com:
    https://bandstores-completelyindepe.netdna-ssl.com/prodimages/afbaf9fb81b84caab847cba84cb5db11_huge.jpg

Zoom in and you'll see it's the 1972 Obfusc/ation volume, consisting of FOUR discs, one more than the single CD, DVD and Blu-ray from the revised tracklisting. Did they really throw out an entire disc at the last minute, with all the manufacturing problems it would probably entail?
    Preserve that image, it is the first and last time we see OBC 5.1 mix.
    Last edited by saperoco; 2016-08-04 at 02:00 AM.
    aka locombiano in pinkfloyd.cl