Page 52 of 220 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    There's an affordable (it's either $40-ish or donation-ware) app called DVD Audio Extractor that seems to work a little better than DVDAE available now. When it first came on the scene a few years ago, it wasn't really working very well but someone stepped things up and it's a very useful tool now. Except for one glaring omission: The DTS2496 format (which is "almost lossless" and it's actually pretty much impossible to tell there's any loss when decoded correctly) gets "core dts" decoded only and sounds quite awful that way. This format is a "ringer" for some hardware machines too (same faux pas). You'll see terrible reviews going off on how DTS2496 absolutely destroys the sound and it's because of improper decoding. It looks for all the world like was done intentionally to try to coax people into upgrading to more expensive machines or media player suites.

I think at this point it's going to take me a year to catch up to Neonknight!
    Hey Jim and others, just to go back to ripping for personal playback. I have found that free program AudioMuxer can achieve this with perfect results, clean track changes and the ability to tag as well. I just tested this using the Immersion WYWH 2.0, 4.0, & 5.1 sets. Just a heads up.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
    Okay, I'm really going off the deep end here...

Photo from euroshop.pinkfloyd.com:
    https://bandstores-completelyindepe.netdna-ssl.com/prodimages/afbaf9fb81b84caab847cba84cb5db11_huge.jpg

Zoom in and you'll see it's the 1972 Obfusc/ation volume, consisting of FOUR discs, one more than the single CD, DVD and Blu-ray from the revised tracklisting. Did they really throw out an entire disc at the last minute, with all the manufacturing problems it would probably entail?
    Gotta think a few were produced. There's a collector's item for you to obsess over!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, I'm wondering if they'll adopt a similar approach to that used by Jimmy Page on the Led Zeppelin DVD set where each menu contained some unique piece of footage not part of the main items like a clip of them onstage in Iceland, backstage at the Albert Hall with Jeff Beck, home movie clips... one would like to think Nick Mason has bits and pieces of odd footage like the alleged one of the 5 man Floyd backstage dancing which would be a nice easter egg used as menu footage or genuinely hidden away somewhere on one of the discs...
    If the drab looking individual boxes and disc artwork is anything to go by, I doubt it. It would be nice to hope they have held back revealing the actual finished appearance of the boxes and discs, but again, unlikely.

So I think we can expect more of the same for the DVD menus, probably arty graphics as per previous releases

Thanks

My personal opinion is that they are bootlegging the bootleggers to some extent.

The stuff that has got me frothing is...

‘More’ album non album tracks
    - Hollywood
    - Seabirds

Nothing pt 1-14
    and the 1969 Atom Heart Mother demo

the rest i feel i've already got. hopefully the 1967 gig will be of much better quality but i'm not really banking on it. Everything i want is on the 2cd version except for the More content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mydisease View Post
    My personal opinion is that they are bootlegging the bootleggers to some extent.

The stuff that has got me frothing is...

‘More’ album non album tracks
    - Hollywood
    - Seabirds

Nothing pt 1-14
    and the 1969 Atom Heart Mother demo

the rest i feel i've already got. hopefully the 1967 gig will be of much better quality but i'm not really banking on it. Everything i want is on the 2cd version except for the More content
    Yes we have seen much of the content before but I'd like to place a bet that the quality will be better than we have seen before. Can be that for some clips they haven't been able to find better than the best we have, but for the majority I'm sure it's better ☺
    And there's still room for some good easter eggs, both audio and visual.

I agree that Seabirds is really a treat. Really looking forward to finally listen to it without voiceover. I can't believe they would actually include it if it wasn't from the original master tape or at least a copy of that.

Nothing 1 - 14? Doesn't it only state Nothing 14?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Nothing 1 - 14? Doesn't it only state Nothing 14?
    Work on the track 'Echoes' started out as "nothing, parts 1 to ...". Sometimes 'Echoes' is called (by bootleggers?) 'Return of the Sons of Nothing'.

P.S. Could the discussion 'bout ripping DVD's Blu-rays and converting them be done in a separate topic? It interests me and the info 'bout this is really difficult to find in this topic. O, and by the way, MakeMKV is free. You just have to renew your key every once in a while.

P.S.2 Made a separate topic about converting DVD/Blu-ray.
    Last edited by meneerjansen; 2016-08-04 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Work on the track 'Echoes' started out as "nothing, parts 1 to ...". Sometimes 'Echoes' is called (by bootleggers?) 'Return of the Sons of Nothing'.
    Yes I know, they did Nothing 1 to 24.
    But it seems we will only get part 14.

Thanks

storm

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Yes I know, they did Nothing 1 to 24.
    But it seems we will only get part 14.
    Maybe Part 14 is the fun acoustic bit David did on the Remember That Night DVD .. lol

Thanks

There once was an excerpt of a take played at a bbc radio special... There was a snippet with the original lyrics...
    Possibly they used this for the box

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,679 Times in 137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    I heard some of your surround mixes for the first time a couple of months ago, at long last, and really enjoyed them. It might be interesting for us to take a look at 1969-04-14 at some point 
    Good to hear that and good to hear from you!

I'm looking forward to catching up with your uploads and getting into some projects again.
    I really could get sucked into a surround project with something from 69 or 70! I don't know if the right recordings from useful strategic locations exist, but if they do we need to do something with that.

There's room for improvement on that 1977 show I restored to 5.1 too (including that missing bit from one of the recorders that you uncovered later on). Frankly, there's probably room for improvement on all of them at this point.

The newer DAW technology now will let me do a lot better sync work and it wont be so 'labor of love' brutal. I pushed Protools HD way past what it was intended to do with those projects and it took a lot of time. Ended up being pretty good training for when I got my hands on the quad Pompeii though.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-08-04 at 04:56 PM.