Page 53 of 220 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks
    Thanked 11,667 Times in 137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    Hmm... I will have to look at that program. Thanks Jim. Have you abandoned using DVDAE in favor of DVD Audio Extractor? We aren't talking about the same program, are we? The program I was thinking of is DVD Audio Explorer or something.
    Yes DVDAE is DVDA Explorer.
    DVD Audio Extractor is the newer one.

I have ended up using DVD A E just for convenience. I think DVDA E stopped development a few years ago now and there ended up being something added to the DVDA format later on that it couldn't read.

Between DVD A E and MakeMKV, everything is pretty convenient now. Really, the only ringer is decoding the DTS2496 format. I ended up grabbing the codec from this Arcsoft product that was bundled with something else for a short time a few years ago. They wanted you to buy some $1200 media player suite or some such. I wasn't playing along. The thing it was bundled with was only written for Windows, so I have this kludged mess of a combination of this other Windows app AudioMuxer with the Arcsoft codec hacked in that I run in OSX with Wine.
    I think the media player suite apps are down to around $400 these days but I'm still not playing. I still use the free app Songbird. I like that you can just set Core Audio to 5.1 and forget it. Mix and match formats in a playlist (5.1, 4.1, 4.0, 2.0, etc) and everything comes out the correct speakers.

I'm conformable enough with the decodes to buy the discs that come along. The Tull DVDs have been released in this awful format and I decided I can't live without hearing those Steve Wilson 5.1 remixes.

I gotta say though, it's getting harder to find things to complain about with all the HD music releases (and at least a few of them surround) these days. If someone would have told me a few years ago that the Yes and Tull catalogs were going to be remixed in 5.1 and further they were going to be done right - truly right - I would have laughed in their face. Like, that wasn't allowed to happen in the alternate universe where Jimi Hendrix is still with us.

Someone has to go out of their way being greedy now... as we've been discussing in the thread.

PS. Sorry about the tech corner digressions. If someone is getting upset, just let me know.

MOD EDIT: Please take the tech discussion to the other thread and leave this for the Early Years release.
    Last edited by mooncusser; 2016-08-05 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    PS. Sorry about the tech corner digressions. If someone is getting upset, just let me know.
    You might want to consider discussing it in this topic that I started especially for the tech part of DVD/Bly-ray. I don't know if your problem is re-encoding DTS 24 bit / 96 kHz to another format (shouldn't be too diffiult w/ the free opensource ffmpeg) or that your problem is playing it on equipment. But we might go itno that in the other topic. I'd like to know how y'all convert, rip and play DVD/Blu-ray.

Thanks

I''d like to see the Kqed show without the special effects/aerial footage. I'm assuming this isn't going to be the case, as the preview trailer shows "Green is the colour" with the effects overlay. I guess that probably won't come to fruition, but i'm happy nonetheless to just have it as is in pristine quality. Already preordered on Amazon. Hope that just maybe they have an option to view the video track for that particular show in it's unaltered state.
    Last edited by mandog23; 2016-08-05 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandog23 View Post
    I''d like to see the Kqed show without the special effects/aerial footage. I'm assuming this isn't going to be the case, as the preview trailer shows "Green is the colour" with the effects overlay. I guess that probably won't come to fruition, but i'm happy nonetheless to just have it as is in pristine quality. Already preordered on Amazon. Hope that just maybe they have an option to view the video track for that particular show in it's unaltered state.
    That has been a dream of mine for a long time.
    KQED without that special colour overlay and the field footage in the beginning of AHM. I once was told that such a version actually exists but for some reason it will not see the light of day, I hope I'm wrong though. I love KQED and just to have it in the best available quality will be amazing. I hope they also cleaned up St. Tropez and presents it without the scrolling text in the bottom that spells Gilmour as Gilmore if I remember correctly (or is that in the end titles for KQED??)

Thanks

Amazon US price is down to $599.99, hopefully more to come since it's still $50 over the official band website
    I am you and what I see is me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
    Amazon US price is down to $599.99, hopefully more to come since it's still $50 over the official band website
    I ordered from Amazon UK for $430.88 USD. That is the best price I've found so far.

Thanks

I pre-ordered, but the rumo(u)r about the 5.1 mixes being nixed at the last second makes me want to cancel it in protest.

What do you guys think, if we start beating the drum now, tweeting and facebooking and hollering to Rog and Gilmour and Nick and Pink Floyd official - will that work?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,070 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhibes View Post
    I pre-ordered, but the rumo(u)r about the 5.1 mixes being nixed at the last second makes me want to cancel it in protest.

What do you guys think, if we start beating the drum now, tweeting and facebooking and hollering to Rog and Gilmour and Nick and Pink Floyd official - will that work?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... nope
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markbot View Post
    I ordered from Amazon UK for $430.88 USD. That is the best price I've found so far.
    yup, the Amazon UK/Euro prices look like the ones to beat for now.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhibes View Post

canceling your order is unlikely to have an effect, especially unless they know why. certainly feel free to complain and let your thoughts be known.
    I am you and what I see is me.

Thanks

I seem to recall that fans were able to get Jethro Tull to put a Blu-Ray in the Aqualung set (or make some other modification) by begging and pleading.

Can it hurt for us to make a fuss? If you think it will, why?
    Last edited by DrPhibes; 2016-08-05 at 03:11 AM.