Page 67 of 220 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 11 Posts

Wasn't Embryo recorded in 1968? Why would it have ended up on AHM?

Thanks

I guess Embryo never really had a home. It didn't belong on More, and had no logical place on Ummagumma (or Zabriskie Point). By the time AHM rolled around, their concept of the song had become so different from the studio version that building on the original demo may have felt like trying to resume writing a half-finished, two-year-old love letter to an ex-girlfriend.

Of course there's one other, obvious possibility: Music from the Body, where it would've fit in beautifully. If their record company hadn't gazumped them by "delivering" it prematurely, maybe Embryo would've "seen the light of day" as part of that soundtrack, with uncredited contributions from the group.

Agreed that AHM is sort of Ummagumma 2 in a way, that Gilmour probably recorded all of FOS by himself ŕ la Paul McCartney (he always was the Paul of the band), and that Nick may well have been the driving force behind APB. I've always loved the B-side of that record far more than the title suite -- "Summer '68" is in my Top 5 songs by the band, or Top 10 at the very least -- so I'm glad they did what they did. Splitting the credits also had the bonus of ensuring a roughly equal stream of royalties for all four members.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I guess Embryo never really had a home. It didn't belong on More, and had no logical place on Ummagumma (or Zabriskie Point). By the time AHM rolled around, their concept of the song had become so different from the studio version that building on the original demo may have felt like trying to resume writing a half-finished, two-year-old love letter to an ex-girlfriend.

Of course there's one other, obvious possibility: Music from the Body, where it would've fit in beautifully. If their record company hadn't gazumped them by "delivering" it prematurely, maybe Embryo would've "seen the light of day" as part of that soundtrack, with uncredited contributions from the group.

Agreed that AHM is sort of Ummagumma 2 in a way, that Gilmour probably recorded all of FOS by himself ŕ la Paul McCartney (he always was the Paul of the band), and that Nick may well have been the driving force behind APB. I've always loved the B-side of that record far more than the title suite -- "Summer '68" is in my Top 5 songs by the band, or Top 10 at the very least -- so I'm glad they did what they did. Splitting the credits also had the bonus of ensuring a roughly equal stream of royalties for all four members.
    Yeah! Good point with the royalities!
    I always thought thats why they did the "let'split" Ummagumma Experiment.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Wasn't Embryo recorded in 1968? Why would it have ended up on AHM?
    Because it was "perfected" into it's final form in 1970. See this picture from the BBC Paris Theatre sessions at the time: http://floydart.org/artwork/bbcarchives/bbc_back.jpg

(that picture might ring a bell w/ you, wink wink) In my opinion it wouldn't have been weird for the piece to end up on AHM. The songs that were tried out in 1975 ('Gotta Be Crazy' etc.) ended up in 1977's 'Animals' too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Because it was "perfected" into it's final form in 1970.
    No. It had an unauthorized mix (for Picnic) in 1970. It was recorded and abandoned in 1968. We're discussing the inclusion of this recording, not the live performance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post

No doubt in my mind that FOS is all Gilmour (as are the drums on Ibiza Bar, The Gold It's In The, When You're In, and probably the bass). Side note: I listen to my Onkyo receiver through DLNA via my HD, so it gives me the ability to have Embryo and Biding My Time sandwiched between FOS and Summer '68. It's not a perfect match, but it makes AHM an easier listen as a whole. It also makes it longer so, if I am busy or need to move on to something, I never make it to, barf, APB. Intellectual stuff - I can't follow that.

Thanks

No. It had an unauthorized mix (for Picnic) in 1970. It was recorded and abandoned in 1968. We're discussing the inclusion of this recording, not the live performance.
    The Embryo debuted live in January 1970 in a very different version compared to the 1968 recording, so they must have dusted off the old demo sometime around New Year 1969/1970. It's not a stretch to imagine that they were rummaging around for material for a new album - sessions for which started in February. I'm not sure when in the year the Picnic sampler was issued, but I guess it's safe to say that by that time Embryo was out of the running for AHM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    One thing I can tell you is those are absolutely Dave's electric guitar leads on If.
    Well, fair enough. The lack of vibrato seemed like a giveaway to me, but I may be wrong. Listening to it again, it does sound like that's Rick's touch on the piano, as well, while the (very simple) organ parts might be Waters - Rick would probably play around a bit more with the Leslie speakers and add a bit more expression. But yeah, this is probably described in minute detail in a book somewhere.
    Last edited by TAF; 2016-08-27 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAF View Post
    The Embryo debuted live in January 1970 in a very different version compared to the 1968 recording, so they must have dusted off the old demo sometime around New Year 1969/1970. It's not a stretch to imagine that they were rummaging around for material for a new album - sessions for which started in February. I'm not sure when in the year the Picnic sampler was issued, but I guess it's safe to say that by that time Embryo was out of the running for AHM.
    The Sessions for the "New Album" started in January 1970 whilst they were still working on ZP pieces.
    “Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not.”
    Frank Zappa

Thanks

Aha. That might explain why some think it might have been included and some do not. I agree w/ @TAF above. I personally do not consider Embryo to be a 60's piece but a typical piece of the early 70's Floyd. I was discussing recording the piece for inclusion on AHM, not using the 'demo'.

P.S. the sampler LP 'Picnick - A Breath Of Fresh Air'was released in 1970 considering Glenn Povey in his book 'In The Flesh' (later completely revised into 'Echoes' and now there's even a newer version), p. 251.

Thanks

probably late the party, too many threads to search through, so if this is a repost, forgive me,
    I just stumbled across the track list.pdf today

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/pdfs/C...ck_Listing.pdf