Page 79 of 220 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink floyd the early years 1965-1972

Thanks
    Thanked 38,253 Times in 444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yyz View Post
    Those "Extraction Tapes" of WYWH and Animals must be in those vaults somewhere
    I bet they aren't. The boxset illustrates how little the band has and how, if they had researched better, it could have been much better. Plenty of gaps will remain, which is good for the future of this site.

Thanks

I'm struggling to fathom the negativity here. I see some genuine gripes with the promo of Granchester Meadows, but this set is just being picked apart like nobody's business.

Why are people proclaiming they'd torrent the set so blatantly? Are we supposed to sympathise with their plight that the set doesn't make sense to them?

Are we forgetting this is Pink Floyd? They always were frugal with their releases. It is only now that David seems to have taken a real interest in releasing a lot. The Gdansk set, the Division Bell 20th Anniversary release, The Endless River package, the Rattle That Lock package - all well done with nice bonus stuff for fans.

This set includes a lot more than I ever hoped for. When the hammer came down on HRV, KQED was the one that was taken as the major offending material. That led many to believe that it would release on DVD. Who knew it would be a part of a massive set such as this?

Ron offered help for this set. The Floyd actually took the pains of sourcing all those various live performances in the best possible form.

I personally believe that the actual stuff on the set won't be bastardised like the promo. I'll reserve my judgement till I get the set. It's just painful when fans themselves talk about pirating this release.

Thanks

prism

Quote Originally Posted by triply View Post
    ...It's just painful when fans themselves talk about pirating this release.
    Fair point except the record companies continue to half-arse release stuff. Agreed, talk of pirating is foolish. But they don't make anything easy - ever.

Why not an entire concert, warts and all?
    Why bits and pieces on different releases (eg Wembley 74)?
    Why have AnYtHiNg be "exclusive" to this set or another.
    Why so MANY remasters?

It's a given that we all love Pink Floyd and we have been treated to amazing stuff over the years. It's the bloody record companies we don't like - actually they don't seem to like US very much.

The next release should be called Alien / ation...

Thanks

I could not agree more.

Returning from holidays I stumbled upon this gigantic thread....I am just very surprised that they release all this stuff. And I am sure it will be all from master tapes. Cymbaline and Grantchester meadows from KQED were broadcast in the video 'An hour with Pink Floyd' and you can see they have a pristine master copy. I expect the rest of the release will also be from master tapes. What else?

I can understand the comments about the price of the box set, though considering how much research, remastering and licensing rights are involved it is understandable that it is high. The 'continuation' disc probably contains material of some lower quality, I'm not expecting too much there. But that is just my educated guess. Can't wait to see what it will actually be.

In short, I am delighted with this release and see no reason to complain, no matter how many dodgy videos they publish on youtube.

One rainy day in February, when I have been through all discs at least twice and have time on my hands, I shall take the HRV BBC 1967-1969 case and artwork and rip the tracks from thel discs in the box set and burn them in the proper HRV order. That will probably the discs I shall spin the most often.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 11 Posts

When the hammer came down on HRV, KQED was the one that was taken as the major offending material.
    There was no hammer. It was a simple and reasonable request without a hint of threat or animosity. KQED was brought up because some asshole bootlegger was selling copies of the HRV release online.

Ron offered help for this set. The Floyd actually took the pains of sourcing all those various live performances in the best possible form.
    That's correct and it actually started out as a video anthology. Wish I knew about the audio content as I could have helped them out in time. As it turns out I had better quality audio for both 1967 BBC broadcasts but the discs were already in production. The real unsung hero of this release is a good friend of mine who was hired by the band for this project. At his request he wishes to remain anonymous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    There was no hammer. It was a simple and reasonable request without a hint of threat or animosity. KQED was brought up because some asshole bootlegger was selling copies of the HRV release online.

That's correct and it actually started out as a video anthology. Wish I knew about the audio content as I could have helped them out in time. As it turns out I had better quality audio for both 1967 BBC broadcasts but the discs were already in production. The real unsung hero of this release is a good friend of mine who was hired by the band for this project. At his request he wishes to remain anonymous.
    I'm happy that we at least have the BBC stuff lacking from the box in pristine quality elsewhere, it will work great as supplement to the box.
    It seems that the have really done the best to ensure the best material and then restore it for best viewing and listening experience.
    I'm still hoping that something similar will be made from 1977-1994. It would be great to have restored music videos from TFC, AMLOR and DB as well as unreleased concert audio and footage and some demos and outtakes. Actually the inclusion of Seabirds in this box gives me hope that we will have at least a chance to hear Peace Be With You some day. I don't know anything about the song other than it is supposed to be one of the best songs from AMLOR but it was rejected because it was too personal or something like that. That would be amazing 😊

Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 Times in 63 Posts

One thing I should say about the price these days. $500 is probably pricey for this release ($300 would be a good price) but then I see $200-400 concert tickets vanish in no time, people drink piss Budweiser/Miller for $10 or more, t-shirt costs $40 or more.

Thanks

Am I the only one here hoping for a complete Nothing cd included in a 5.1/quad Meddle?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    The only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the lack of any newly surfaced video/film footage from the band's vault. I seem to recall Nick Mason hinted that he had tons of footage (most of which lacked audio) but I don't see any of it in this release. There is the possibility it shows up on the menu screens I suppose similar to what Zep did.

I really hope that the 1973 Radio City show eventually gets a release so I can hear the OBC material in pristine quality. When I first heard Raving and YGTBC in soundboard quality it was a stunning revelation. None of the amateur recordings available up to that point came any where near capturing the full power and intensity of those two songs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darryll View Post
    It's pricey because you're forced to pay for 8 or so discs with redundant content. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most people need either Blu-disc or DVD.

Not both. Eliminate either one and the price would come down dramatically.

I cannot justify paying for 8 coasters.
    My DVDs will be going up on eBay no doubt. That should get the cost down.