Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip and convert DVD and Blu-ray

Thanks
    Thanked 3,892 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Small Fish View Post
    Thanks for this. One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm on a Mac. MakeMKV looks good, I will try that, but AudioMuxer is Windows only by the looks of it
    If AudioMuxer only works on Windows than I'm sorry, but I don't know of any alternatives for a Mac.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    If AudioMuxer only works on Windows than I'm sorry, but I don't know of any alternatives for a Mac.
    Try Pavtube HD converter. Nice machine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8rV...layer_embedded

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,055 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    AudioMuxer runs just fine in OSX. You just need to have Wine installed to run Windows apps natively in OSX.

I haven't found a replacement for these older apps yet either but I haven't been looking very hard.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,360 Times in 249 Posts

Wine is fine, but it doesn´t run every Windows application under Mac OS X - at least for me.

VirtualBox is another secure alternate, but then you would need an Windows copy for it.
    "I´m full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,055 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspace View Post
    Wine is fine, but it doesn´t run every Windows application under Mac OS X - at least for me.

VirtualBox is another secure alternate, but then you would need an Windows copy for it.
    But whisky's quicker?

Haven't really found anything that doesn't run in OSX yet but I only use a handful of Windows apps.

I feel like there should be better media player and converter apps available here in 2016 but I haven't looked seriously enough recently (and nothing is jumping out at me). Definitely keeping my machine free of Microsoft anything though.

The dts formats and how they like to revert to awful sounding 'core dts' badness makes for a lot of busywork!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    But whisky's quicker?

Haven't really found anything that doesn't run in OSX yet but I only use a handful of Windows apps.

I feel like there should be better media player and converter apps available here in 2016 but I haven't looked seriously enough recently (and nothing is jumping out at me). Definitely keeping my machine free of Microsoft anything though.

The dts formats and how they like to revert to awful sounding 'core dts' badness makes for a lot of busywork!
    Whisky´s are indeed quicker like Ozzy used to say.... Suicide is slow with liqueur.

Also use very few Micromoney stuff. The only exception is an banking app in use for many years and which I need for my freelancer job and the awful taxes stuff. There is nothing here which is comparable for OS X sadly.

Had nothing in common with dts-files since yesterday and the Meddle-Mix. It just played fine with VLC. Tried to convert it into aiff with iSkysoft Video Converter and at first all seems to be fine. But when I tried to listen the result were endless audio tracks with single, strange, muffled instruments. But very psychedelic the whole thing.... LOL

The Compressor app from Apple is an mess and it even doesn´t start with the newest "update" anymore...

My all time favourite is still the freeware "Handbrake" which converts nearly everything into everything and is perfectly for ripping DVDs also. Use it since more than 15 years now. "Toast Titanium" I use rarely - to bloated the whole thing.
    Last edited by Cyberspace; 2016-11-21 at 09:59 PM.
    "I´m full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

Thanks

Here are some other options for software that I like to use.

DVDFab 9
    TMPGenc Authoring Works 5
    multiAVCHD 4.1
    MKVToolNix GUI
    iDealshare VideoGo

REVERBER/ATION Disc as an example.

DVDFAB 9 Copy Full Disc mode to rip the Blu-Ray to
    hard drive.
    I end up with BDMV and Certificate folders. In the
    BDMV > STREAM folder you find the .m2ts files.
    00000.m2ts is the main file 01:09:48
    00001.m2ts is the "hidden" Meddle file 00:46:49
    00002.m2ts is Echoes original quad mix

These files play through the USB port of my Blu-Ray
    player perfectly. I have an OPPO player and a Denon
    receiver that both support DTS-HD MA. The files don't
    have markers for each song.

If you like playing around with audio/video:

MKVToolNix Gui will open the .m2ts files and allow you to save
    the audio or video as separate files.

iDealshare VideoGo will decode DTS-HD MA to separate WAV
    files for each channel so you can do a little remixing if you like.
    It has a limit on file sizes, for larger audio files you have to do
    it in pieces and then join the files in whatever audio program you
    are using.

I used TMPGenc Authoring Works 5 to make my own Blu-Ray of Meddle
    with a Menu for song selection and a choice of PCM 24/96 stereo or
    DTS-HD MA 5.1 24/96 audio tracks. Smart Rendering was used so there
    was no re-encoding of any of the tracks.
    Since TMPGenc software doesn't do DTS, I authored a disc with 2 PCM
    tracks and then used multiAVCHD 4.1 to replace one of the PCM tracks
    with DTS-HD MA. It is a fairly simple workaround.
    A bonus is that i ended up with an .iso file small enough to burn to a single
    layer DVD. It still has to be played in a Blu-ray player but a DVD-R is cheaper
    than a BD-R and can be burned with a DVD burner.

I also created a DVD version with 16/48 PCM stereo and DD5.1 where I converted the audio.
    Last edited by McBoots; 2016-11-22 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    AudioMuxer runs just fine in OSX. You just need to have Wine installed to run Windows apps natively in OSX.

I haven't found a replacement for these older apps yet either but I haven't been looking very hard.
    Thanks JFE. Wine looks like it could be useful, but I'm not too experienced in using Terminal. Is there an easy step by step guide anywhere that will help me install it?

Thanks

Small Fish, the easiest way is to install WineBottler: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

No need to bother with the Terminal if you don´t like...
    Last edited by Cyberspace; 2016-11-23 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspace View Post
    Small Fish, the easiest way is to install WineBottler: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

No need to bother with the Terminal if you don´t like...
    Not the easiest way... If you are willing to pay money for software, you could buy Crossover for Mac. It's basically a far, far better packaged version of Wine, really easy to use, and they do contribute back to the actual Wine project. I'm actually really technical, but even I found WineBottler tedious to deal with and I just figured my time was worth the cost of buying a Crossover license for the ease of use it brought me.