Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 95

Thread: Rip and convert DVD and Blu-ray

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,164
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 3,892 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    This same idea started up again after bluray came around too.
    As long as it fits, burn the bluray file structure to a DVD instead.
    Now you can play it in an older DVD-only player and your receiver sees a bluray data stream coming in. Now you're working around any DVD format lockouts. (eg. A Sony DVD player that is disabling DVDA playback.)
    Huh? Am I misunderstanding what you are saying here? My understanding from what you said is that I can essentially take a file and widdle it down to fit on a DVD, author that in a BD file structure and play that on a normal DVD player, but in reduced HD video quality? My understanding is/was different. I thought it was the other way around kinda. Using a program like tsMuxer or multiAVCHD you can take a compliant file and create a AVCHD file structure or BD structure, burn that to a regular DVD and play it in a BD player, avoiding the need to have a BD disc. Something tells me I am misinterpreting what you mean.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a salad at the hotel
    Posts
    910
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    This same idea started up again after bluray came around too.
    As long as it fits, burn the bluray file structure to a DVD instead.
    Now you can play it in an older DVD-only player and your receiver sees a bluray data stream coming in. Now you're working around any DVD format lockouts. (eg. A Sony DVD player that is disabling DVDA playback.)
    This makes so sense. A DVD only player will not read the BD file structure. Sure some might play mp3 and other files on a DVD-R, but they cannot process a BD file structure.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,392
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 6,058 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    I'm sorry, I said that all wrong.

    The idea is to get around not having a bluray burner. You burn the bluray file structure to a DVD. Then you play that in your bluray or multidisc player.


    Speaking of twisting things around...
    What's up with that rumor that you can rip an SACD with an Oppo machine?
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-08-11 at 01:11 AM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,164
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 3,892 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    I'm sorry, I said that all wrong.

    The idea is to get around not having a bluray burner. You burn the bluray file structure to a DVD. Then you play that in your bluray or multidisc player.


    Speaking of twisting things around...
    What's up with that rumor that you can rip an SACD with an Oppo machine?
    Yes yes, that makes sense now and what I thought you meant at first Lol, it's all good, usually when I try to explain something it comes out wrong

    I have no idea about about the SACD ripping unfortunately. I do have a legit PS3 but don't really have any SACD's other than DSotM.
    Last edited by buffalofloyd; 2016-08-11 at 03:22 AM.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    [...] Now you're working around any DVD format lockouts. (eg. A Sony DVD player that is disabling DVDA playback.)
    Bloody hell. Does a DVD standalone player ply DVDA but not if its a Sony one? How about a computer? All I have to do then is play the audio_ts foler w/ VLC, right? At least, I hope so. I see on Wikipedia that it's uncompressed LPCM multi-channel audio. I guess that can not be played via s/pdif. Guess you'll need an Amplifier w/ HDMI in, right? And let VLC pass the audio stream to HDMI (if your PC has it).

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a salad at the hotel
    Posts
    910
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    I'm sorry, I said that all wrong.

    The idea is to get around not having a bluray burner. You burn the bluray file structure to a DVD. Then you play that in your bluray or multidisc player.


    Speaking of twisting things around...
    What's up with that rumor that you can rip an SACD with an Oppo machine?
    It's no rumor. The BDP103/105 players can now be used to rip SACD's over the network to your PC's hard drive.


    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...ts-true-29251/

    I've ripped 20 SACD's with this so far.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,392
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 6,058 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    It's no rumor. The BDP103/105 players can now be used to rip SACD's over the network to your PC's hard drive.


    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...ts-true-29251/

    I've ripped 20 SACD's with this so far.
    That's... surprising honestly. A really useful logical feature on a standalone hardware disc player... Next you'll be telling me your cat sleeps with your dog.

    I bet that sells a lot of these machines for them to everyone that needs to rescue their SACD collection (or... actually hear the HD content for the very first time) and didn't want to invest in a Playstation. I suppose you could decide to invest in an Oppo instead of a bluray drive (if you didn't already have one for the computer) and take care of ripping blurays and DVDs with it too.

    Can you just open those machines up and replace the optical drive when it wears out? (Optical drives are consumables.)

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    It's no rumor. The BDP103/105 players can now be used to rip SACD's over the network to your PC's hard drive.


    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...ts-true-29251/

    I've ripped 20 SACD's with this so far.
    Wow! Thanks for that link, man. From the mentioned players there only the Pioneer BDP-180 is affordable (~ € 220, link1, link2). [edit] The Pioneer 180 appears NOT to be able to rip SACD's. Its predecessors (which aren't sold anymore) can. Bummer.

    Wonder if one can rip Blu-ray's too w/ such a machine. Would spare you the hassle of an BD drive in your computer. Playing and/or ripping BD's on a PC is always troublesome. They switch copy-protection methods sometimes, or so I've heard (link). Quote from that site: "The older your Blu-ray disc is, the more likely it will work. Newer Blu-ray discs use BD+ disc encryption, while older ones used the more easily bypassed AACS encryption. Newer Blu-ray discs also blacklist some of the known keys used to play older Blu-ray discs in this way. If you have a very new disc, you may not get it to play at all.".


    P.S. Is an SACD in fact a blu-ray disc? Just like a CD-ROM, an Audio-CD and a CD-video are all simply CD's w/ different formatting.
    Last edited by meneerjansen; 2016-08-11 at 05:27 PM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,392
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 6,058 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Wow! Thanks for that link, man. From the mentioned players there only the Pioneer BDP-180 is affordable (~ € 220, link1, link2)

    Wonder if one can rip Blu-ray's too w/ such a machine. Would spare you the hassle of an BD drive in your computer. Playing and/or ripping BD's on a PC is always troublesome. They switch copy-protection methods sometimes, or so I've heard (link). Quote from that site: "The older your Blu-ray disc is, the more likely it will work. Newer Blu-ray discs use BD+ disc encryption, while older ones used the more easily bypassed AACS encryption. Newer Blu-ray discs also blacklist some of the known keys used to play older Blu-ray discs in this way. If you have a very new disc, you may not get it to play at all.".


    P.S. Is an SACD in fact a blu-ray disc? Just like a CD-ROM, an Audio-CD and a CD-video are all simply CD's w/ different formatting.
    They continually make new copy protection codes for blurays.
    It's not a thing where you can wait for them to get older and they start to work either!

    You really do need to either buy one of the $50 apps or invest in the hardware machine.

    Pretty much every new bluray you buy (unless you're buying new music every week or something) you're going to end up downloading the new update of MakeMKV (again, free after buying it the 1st time) or downloading and flashing new firmware into the hardware disc machine.

    Pick your battles. You'd be investing a LOT more than $50 worth of time trying to bypass the copy protection codes.
    Considering the level of the format wars a few years ago and the intentionally crippled products they were trying to push, it's really stunning to see a logical straightforward feature like this! A few years ago they were writing features into disc players to degrade the audio output in the name of copy protection ("If they can't even listen to it, they can't pirate it!"). Pretty big 180 there!

    All those disc formats have different file systems. Audio CD doesn't have a mountable file system.
    Again, SACD uses DSD digital encoding. The ones and zeros have different meaning (ie. a different language) than PCM digital and you literally need different hardware DA converters to listen to it natively. It's HD just like 24/96 or 24/88.2 PCM digital and can be converted back and forth with imperceptible loss.

    Sony gave up on convincing every studio and consumer on the planet to replace the most expensive piece of gear they own with something that was just as good. Bluray supports standard HD PCM digital, not DSD.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-08-11 at 04:58 PM.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    They continually make new copy protection codes for blurays.
    It's not a thing where you can wait for them to get older and they start to work either!

    You really do need to either buy one of the $50 apps or invest in the hardware machine.

    Pretty much every new bluray you buy (unless you're buying new music every week or something) you're going to end up downloading the new update of MakeMKV (again, free after buying it the 1st time) or downloading and flashing new firmware into the hardware disc machine.

    Pick your battles. You'd be investing a LOT more than $50 worth of time trying to bypass the copy protection codes.
    Considering the level of the format wars a few years ago and the intentionally crippled products they were trying to push, it's really stunning to see a logical straightforward feature like this! A few years ago they were writing features into disc players to degrade the audio output in the name of copy protection ("If they can't even listen to it, they can't pirate it!"). Pretty big 180 there!

    All those disc formats have different file systems. Audio CD doesn't have a mountable file system.
    Again, SACD uses DSD digital encoding. The ones and zeros have different meaning (ie. a different language) than PCM digital and you literally need different hardware DA converters to listen to it natively. It's HD just like 24/96 or 24/88.2 PCM digital and can be converted back and forth with imperceptible loss.

    Sony gave up on convincing every studio and consumer on the planet to replace the most expensive piece of gear they own with something that was just as good. Bluray supports standard HD PCM digital, not DSD.
    Thanks for your explanation. Anyway, read the forum 'bout ripping SACD's and the Pioneer 180 appears NOT to be able to rip SACD's. Its predecessors (which aren't sold anymore) can. Bummer.

    What I meant was: you asked if the drives could be replaced. That means to me that SACD's can be read w/ a Blu-ray drive. To me that means that BD's and SACD's are in some way hardware compatible. I mean: the amount of "windings" is the same (a CD, an LP a DVD and a Blu-ray are discs that consist of a long spiral of windings. On a CD there are pits and lands on that spiral (i.e. zero' and one's) and on an LP the signal on the spiral is analog). A DVD contains such a long and "thin" spiral that the laser from a CD player cannot read it.

    And I was afraid that MakeMKV could not decrypt the newer BD's w/ better copy-protection. Apparently that fear of mine is wrong. Another fear of mine is of upgrading firmware of drives to get rid of copy problems. If it goes wrong that your drive is broken. Do you have any experience of having to upgrade the firmware of you computer BD drive to be able to play BD's?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •