Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip and convert DVD and Blu-ray

Thanks
    Thanked 6,982 Times in 93 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    Thanks for your explanation. Anyway, read the forum 'bout ripping SACD's and the Pioneer 180 appears NOT to be able to rip SACD's. Its predecessors (which aren't sold anymore) can. Bummer.

What I meant was: you asked if the drives could be replaced. That means to me that SACD's can be read w/ a Blu-ray drive. To me that means that BD's and SACD's are in some way hardware compatible. I mean: the amount of "windings" is the same (a CD, an LP a DVD and a Blu-ray are discs that consist of a long spiral of windings. On a CD there are pits and lands on that spiral (i.e. zero' and one's) and on an LP the signal on the spiral is analog). A DVD contains such a long and "thin" spiral that the laser from a CD player cannot read it.

And I was afraid that MakeMKV could not decrypt the newer BD's w/ better copy-protection. Apparently that fear of mine is wrong. Another fear of mine is of upgrading firmware of drives to get rid of copy problems. If it goes wrong that your drive is broken. Do you have any experience of having to upgrade the firmware of you computer BD drive to be able to play BD's?
    The firmware upgrade applies to the standalone hardware disc player like the Oppo. NOT to the bluray reader/burner drives you install in your computer! The concern with bricking something as a result of having to update codes applies to the hardware disc players, not the computer.

One fun fact about the SACD: The drive needs to spin backwards vs. blurays, DVDs, CDs.
    A standard bluray compatible drive for the computer does not include that ability. Being that the SACD is now very obsolete, it likely never will. Same reason newer models of the Playstation and the Pioneer no longer support the format. Oppo looks to be jumping in to fill the hole to sell a service to help out consumers who bought into SACD. I imagine someone could do the same thing with a computer optical drive. Even though it's obsolete, there are probably still licensing fees and the like still in play.

Who knows...

I still think the computer is the best, most flexible solution for managing and playing media. But I'm happily blown away to see a product with these features! Just like all the HD and surround music being released these days... if you would have suggested this happening 5 years ago, I would have laughed and just been 100% certain that it never would.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 44 Posts

Using a stand alone player to rip a Blu Ray/CD/DVD would be too time consuming. The player doesn't rip at high speeds. With the Oppo/Pioneer Hack, ripping is at about 2.8MB/S which is about 20mins or so for a SACD layer rip.

The SACD layer is actually the pit size and pitch as a DVD but requires extra hardware to authenticate the SACD layer which a standard non-SACD drive cannot do. So no, you can't rip the SACD layer in a standard Blu Ray or DVD computer drive.

The Oppo hack is possible because of the chipset used in the players. Someone just had to write the instructions for the chip to be able to rip the SACD layer once it authenticates.

Thanks

@jimfisheye and @Arnold_Layne: thank you both again for the explanations. A computer Blu-ray drive is the way to go then. Else: no backing up of your BD's. And as for SACD's: I don't own one yet but will avoid like hell to ever buy one. Luckily the Floyds multi-channel albums are in BD format. Makes me wonder: are there any bands that relesed multi-channel mixes of their work ony SACD only? I.e.: no re-release on DVD-A or Blu-ray?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 101 Posts

I really know nothing about SACD's but I've had DSotM in SACD since it was released. I have a PS3 that will play it but never bothered. Is it any different than the 5.1 release of the Immersion set? Same mix?

Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,982 Times in 93 Posts

@jimfisheye and @Arnold_Layne: thank you both again for the explanations. A computer Blu-ray drive is the way to go then. Else: no backing up of your BD's. And as for SACD's: I don't own one yet but will avoid like hell to ever buy one. Luckily the Floyds multi-channel albums are in BD format. Makes me wonder: are there any bands that relesed multi-channel mixes of their work ony SACD only? I.e.: no re-release on DVD-A or Blu-ray?
    Sadly, yes.

That's why I want to see this information discussed.

Why would anyone do that?!
    What happens is...

Just like the first few times you might have heard a vinyl record that sounded better than a CD (ie. had a more accurate, artifact free copy of what the original studio master sounded like than the CD version). You hear a few of these and conclude: vinyl sounds better than CD. Well, it turns out there are more variables than that. The big one being that the worst sounding CD's were actually mastered for ultra portable devices and the master actually sounds a world better. When you finally hear the newer 24 bit HD copy of it, you finally hear that. And oh look, it sounds better than that vinyl copy now!

Variables...

So, someone gets a SACD player with better DA converters than their old DVD player. Or a few SACD releases that were mastered better than the DVDA discs they happened to have. Or the SACD in question was mastered 0.2db louder than the DVDA. Or they have a more proper connection from their SACD player to their receiver (and a lossy dolby connection or somesuch for the DVD player). Or a combination of all the above. And then they say: Hey, DSD is better than HD PCM! Listen!

Whereas if you had an accurate copy (that means no "portable device" mastering and/or brick wall silliness) of that master in both DSD and PCM formats and had your system set up accurately for playback of both, you would find they sound truly exactly the same. You can even convert between the two formats and not approach ANY of the lossy or compromising issues discussed.

Those of you around here who work with recordings know exactly what I'm talking about. Even a slight volume difference can throw people off. Louder always sounds instantly better to human perception (unless something is over the top distorted). You can't even A/B compare two recordings unless you match their volume level by within 0.1db. Otherwise the louder one sounds better.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-08-12 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks

Makes me wonder: are there any bands that relesed multi-channel mixes of their work ony SACD only? I.e.: no re-release on DVD-A or Blu-ray?
    For starters: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...nd-SACD-Corner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seremetcc View Post
    I'll add to that: https://audiofidelity.net/category/sacd
    A few 4.0 quad mixes and 5.1 releases only on SACD (no DVD-A or Blu Ray).

Thanks

I have a couple of questions which I hope are relevant to this thread?

1. I have two small children who love using DVDs as playthings which inevitably mean they get scratched to oblivion. I've recently taken to making 1:1 copies of everything we buy using MDRP (http://www.macdvdripperpro.com) which is great as it preserves the menus, extras etc. Is there a similar way of doing this for Blu-ray? If so, what's the best program(s) to use?

2. I've just bought the Highresaudio version of Cre/ation in 24/96. Is there a way to burn these to bluray or something to play through my player? I have a Sony BDP-S570B, which doesn't support FLAC and I've tried burning a DVD with WAV files on but it doesn't seem to recognise them. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Small Fish View Post
    I have a couple of questions which I hope are relevant to this thread?

1. I have two small children who love using DVDs as playthings which inevitably mean they get scratched to oblivion. I've recently taken to making 1:1 copies of everything we buy using MDRP (http://www.macdvdripperpro.com) which is great as it preserves the menus, extras etc. Is there a similar way of doing this for Blu-ray? If so, what's the best program(s) to use?

2. I've just bought the Highresaudio version of Cre/ation in 24/96. Is there a way to burn these to bluray or something to play through my player? I have a Sony BDP-S570B, which doesn't support FLAC and I've tried burning a DVD with WAV files on but it doesn't seem to recognise them. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    1. MakeMKV will suit your need for preserving a 1:1 BD file structure using the "backup" function. You will probably need to go to http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 and enter the code within the program to use the decrypting feature. meneerjansen had stated this earlier in the thread and I didn't think it was possible but I think I was incorrect.

Any DVD is another program I've used in the past with great success. There is a licensing fee, so be aware.

2. AudioMuxer is the program you will want for this task. It's a fantastic program I use all the time to convert some audio and to extract HD audio from BD. It has the ability to also make a BD with simple menus and pictures with whatever kind of audio files you'd like to use. Very useful program.

Good luck!

Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    1. MakeMKV will suit your need for preserving a 1:1 BD file structure using the "backup" function. You will probably need to go to http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 and enter the code within the program to use the decrypting feature. meneerjansen had stated this earlier in the thread and I didn't think it was possible but I think I was incorrect.

Any DVD is another program I've used in the past with great success. There is a licensing fee, so be aware.

2. AudioMuxer is the program you will want for this task. It's a fantastic program I use all the time to convert some audio and to extract HD audio from BD. It has the ability to also make a BD with simple menus and pictures with whatever kind of audio files you'd like to use. Very useful program.

Good luck!
    Thanks for this. One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm on a Mac. MakeMKV looks good, I will try that, but AudioMuxer is Windows only by the looks of it