Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 95

Thread: Rip and convert DVD and Blu-ray

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,701
    Thanks
    1,416
    Thanked 4,142 Times in 307 Posts

    Default

    Well, I used "Crossover" some years before. It was nice, but then it permanently hanged up and there were no helpful updates. So I uninstalled it and didnīt went back anymore...

    Iīm the opinion if you really need only one, or two Windows applications from time to time why pay for it, especially if an nice freeware is around? You can donate to the author nonetheless.

    Had no issues with WineBottler till now and itīs really not so hard to handle even in the advanced section...
    "Iīm full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McBoots View Post
    A bonus is that i ended up with an .iso file small enough to burn to a single layer DVD. It still has to be played in a Blu-ray player but a DVD-R is cheaper
    than a BD-R and can be burned with a DVD burner.
    That's brilliant! Thanks for the info.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bath, UK
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 709 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspace View Post
    Small Fish, the easiest way is to install WineBottler: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

    No need to bother with the Terminal if you donīt like...
    That's brilliant, thanks. Will try a free version before I start buying anything!

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,429
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Fish View Post
    Thanks JFE. Wine looks like it could be useful, but I'm not too experienced in using Terminal. Is there an easy step by step guide anywhere that will help me install it?
    The headquarters: https://www.winehq.org/

    A tutorial (using Homebrew): https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
    (There's also Macports)

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Fish View Post
    That's brilliant, thanks. Will try a free version before I start buying anything!
    I recall Winebottler being out of date vs Wine 'proper' but that was a number of years ago that I tried it. It WAS a simplified version to install though.

    PS. Wine is free. If someone is trying to sell it to you, they're a fake/scam.

    PPS. Allowing Windows apps to run in OSX means Windows malware can run in OSX. Careful out there!
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-11-23 at 09:12 PM.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 43 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    PS. Wine is free. If someone is trying to sell it to you, they're a fake/scam.
    Sorry, but that's not really true. Wine is "free" as in GPL "free". Part of the GPL freedom is the freedom to make money by adding value through repackaging and providing support. You just have to make available your source code changes to the free parts of the code. In any case, Crossover isn't selling you Wine, it's selling your their equivalent to the bottling system, plus support etc. So Crossover isn't fake or a scam.

    As for WineBottler, I guess I tried it in 2006 or 2008, so while it was very rough then it may well have improved by now, which is good to know.
    Last edited by snagu; 2016-11-23 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Clarification

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    880
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 478 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    It seems that every single operation requires its own tool.
    • 1/2 channel FLAC -> DVD-V: lplex
    • FLAC <-> WAV: TLH
    • DVD or Blu-Ray -> MKW: makemkw
    • MKW -> FLAC: Audacity
    • Multichannel FLAC -> DVD or Blu-Ray: AudioMuxer (I haven't tried this yet)
    • 24/96 -> 16/44.1: SOX
    • and so on


    I'm just a simple caveman. Well, this isn't actually true, but given all of the other chaos in my life, it is frustrating to keep it all sorted out. Plus I'm nearly through with my trial period of makemkw and licensing multiple tools is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

    Is there not a better way? I'd like to think that in this day and age someone would make and sell a more fully-featured tool that doesn't force me to learn 7 different tools, each with a completely different UI. These operations are common-place in this digital era. Has no one built this product?
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Near a Man-Made Island
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 202 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    welcome to the world of being a hobbyist - and during an era when people expect all software to be free.

    I'm just glad we have TLH and other tools available - more than one of them created by other hobbyists.
    I am you and what I see is me.



  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    880
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 478 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
    welcome to the world of being a hobbyist - and during an era when people expect all software to be free.

    I'm just glad we have TLH and other tools available - more than one of them created by other hobbyists.
    And that's why I said "product". I'm willing to pay, but I'm not willing to pay $50 for a tool with only one use (makemkw), especially when I probably won't rip 50 discs in my life.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    It seems that every single operation requires its own tool.
    • 1/2 channel FLAC -> DVD-V: lplex
    • FLAC <-> WAV: TLH
    • DVD or Blu-Ray -> MKW: makemkw
    • MKW -> FLAC: Audacity
    • Multichannel FLAC -> DVD or Blu-Ray: AudioMuxer (I haven't tried this yet)
    • 24/96 -> 16/44.1: SOX
    • and so on


    I'm just a simple caveman. Well, this isn't actually true, but given all of the other chaos in my life, it is frustrating to keep it all sorted out. Plus I'm nearly through with my trial period of makemkw and licensing multiple tools is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

    Is there not a better way? I'd like to think that in this day and age someone would make and sell a more fully-featured tool that doesn't force me to learn 7 different tools, each with a completely different UI. These operations are common-place in this digital era. Has no one built this product?
    Ha ha. Yep, converting multimedia is pretty technical. But you don't have to pay for MakeMKV. One has to prolong the trial/beta key via the official forum every month or so: www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    It seems that every single operation requires its own tool.
    • 1/2 channel FLAC -> DVD-V: lplex
    • FLAC <-> WAV: TLH
    • DVD or Blu-Ray -> MKW: makemkw
    • MKW -> FLAC: Audacity
    • Multichannel FLAC -> DVD or Blu-Ray: AudioMuxer (I haven't tried this yet)
    • 24/96 -> 16/44.1: SOX
    • and so on


    I'm just a simple caveman. Well, this isn't actually true, but given all of the other chaos in my life, it is frustrating to keep it all sorted out. Plus I'm nearly through with my trial period of makemkw and licensing multiple tools is going to be death by a thousand cuts.

    Is there not a better way? I'd like to think that in this day and age someone would make and sell a more fully-featured tool that doesn't force me to learn 7 different tools, each with a completely different UI. These operations are common-place in this digital era. Has no one built this product?

    1/2 channel FLAC -> DVD-V: lplex --- AudioMuixer can do this (if I understand what you mean here)
    FLAC <-> WAV: TLH --- AudioMuixer can do this
    DVD or Blu-Ray -> MKW: makemkw --- either MakeMKV or AnyDVD, kind of unavoidable
    MKW -> FLAC: Audacity --- AudioMuixer can do this
    Multichannel FLAC -> DVD or Blu-Ray: AudioMuxer (I haven't tried this yet) --- AudioMuixer can do this
    24/96 -> 16/44.1: SOX --- AudioMuixer can do this (I can't say how good because I don't use this feature)
    Last edited by buffalofloyd; 2016-12-05 at 06:52 PM.

    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •