Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 95

Thread: Rip and convert DVD and Blu-ray

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,340
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 59 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
    welcome to the world of being a hobbyist - and during an era when people expect all software to be free.

    I'm just glad we have TLH and other tools available - more than one of them created by other hobbyists.
    Free? Nah.

    I just expect not to get bait & switch for premium prices!
    It feels like someone's being greedy and generates questions.

    Or at least tell me the final full price without being cagey about it!
    Take bluray for example.
    Sony decided they needed an after market tax (in the form of part of that $50 for MakeMKV or part of the cost of that standalone hardware DVD player). OK... Couldn't just make the price be the price you wanted up front? Do you really wonder why people are giving you that 'look' when you behave like that?

    If everyone would just download HD FLAC files directly and ignore greed driven formats I suppose they would go out of business. That would be too easy right?

    Offer me a product that sounds better and I'll be handing you my money.
    Take someone's album and degrade the sound and then make the original only available as a deluxe version in a proprietary format that will itself degrade the sound unless you pay even more for an 'accessory' to decode it properly... go **** yourself ya greedy ****! Honestly...

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    [...]
    Sony decided they needed an after market tax (in the form of part of that $50 for MakeMKV or part of the cost of that standalone hardware DVD player).
    It is a very persistent rumor here that one has to unavoidable pay $50 for MakeMKV. One does not. You may prolong the trial/beta key via the official forum every month or so: www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    It is a very persistent rumor here that one has to unavoidable pay $50 for MakeMKV. One does not. You may prolong the trial/beta key via the official forum every month or so: www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Yes, this is true of course. I wonder when it will come out of beta and a fee will be required to use the software.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,340
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 59 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    It is a very persistent rumor here that one has to unavoidable pay $50 for MakeMKV. One does not. You may prolong the trial/beta key via the official forum every month or so: www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    When it first came out (when bluray was brand new) it required the license to even rip the disc. Demo mode was restricted. They changed it later on. The early stand alone bluray players were crude to the point you couldn't easily connect them to your favorite DAC or rip the disc to your hard drive. (Not to mention a regression to a stand alone hardware player.)

    I decided a $100 bluray drive/burner and a $50 app was the way to go. It's been working out just fine.

    I do think it's absurd to still see physical discs sold like this! I'd much prefer nice error free downloads. But when a band you like only releases their HD and 5.1 masters on a round shiny disc format, the choices are: not ever hear it, pirate it, or buy the stupid machine they're promoting.

    Sony. They're one of the reasons we all can't have nice things.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-12-06 at 07:42 PM.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    869
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 466 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    ...I'd much prefer nice error free downloads...
    If I could go a year with error-free downloads, I might be inclined to agree with you. I've had one bad CD in my life (not counting one I left in the car over the summer and it melted and got warped). Even this year I've had two separate download issues.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    If I could go a year with error-free downloads, I might be inclined to agree with you. I've had one bad CD in my life (not counting one I left in the car over the summer and it melted and got warped). Even this year I've had two separate download issues.
    I've never been unlucky with a bad disc or download, except for this last box set which a few people had some bad discs. I'm still waiting for a replacement disc but more importantly I haven't decided where to keep this box, it's big and cumbersome, it won't even fit under my bed lol
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    When it first came out (when bluray was brand new) it required the license to even rip the disc. Demo mode was restricted. They changed it later on. The early stand alone bluray players were crude to the point you couldn't easily connect them to your favorite DAC or rip the disc to your hard drive. (Not to mention a regression to a stand alone hardware player.)

    I decided a $100 bluray drive/burner and a $50 app was the way to go. It's been working out just fine.

    I do think it's absurd to still see physical discs sold like this! I'd much prefer nice error free downloads. But when a band you like only releases their HD and 5.1 masters on a round shiny disc format, the choices are: not ever hear it, pirate it, or buy the stupid machine they're promoting.

    Sony. They're one of the reasons we all can't have nice things.
    Clear your box bro
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    When it first came out (when bluray was brand new) it required the license to even rip the disc. Demo mode was restricted. They changed it later on. The early stand alone bluray players were crude to the point you couldn't easily connect them to your favorite DAC or rip the disc to your hard drive. (Not to mention a regression to a stand alone hardware player.)

    I decided a $100 bluray drive/burner and a $50 app was the way to go. It's been working out just fine.

    I do think it's absurd to still see physical discs sold like this! I'd much prefer nice error free downloads. But when a band you like only releases their HD and 5.1 masters on a round shiny disc format, the choices are: not ever hear it, pirate it, or buy the stupid machine they're promoting.

    Sony. They're one of the reasons we all can't have nice things.
    I agree w/ you that physical discs aren't the best medium anymore to distribute music. But I for one hate downloads. I want to be able to physically hold something in my hands. And I like to take my music/movies with me to my friends houses to watch them in a group of people. And waiting for the day that everybody has computer equipment attached to their stereo equipment that can handle every format.... Takes too long. People buy DVD or Blu-ray players.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 42 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    I agree w/ you that physical discs aren't the best medium anymore to distribute music. But I for one hate downloads. I want to be able to physically hold something in my hands. And I like to take my music/movies with me to my friends houses to watch them in a group of people. And waiting for the day that everybody has computer equipment attached to their stereo equipment that can handle every format.... Takes too long. People buy DVD or Blu-ray players.
    I have more than one USB stick from bands who have tried to release things via that physical medium. Done right, that can have accompanying art work, but self-publishing bands have to manage the economics of it all quite carefully. And yeah, USB sticks (though physical) probably fall foul of your "stereo equipment compatible with computer equipment" observation. Though iPod docks were starting to get quite popular on equipment for a while back then.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    My imagination most of the time...
    Posts
    2,340
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 59 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    I agree w/ you that physical discs aren't the best medium anymore to distribute music. But I for one hate downloads. I want to be able to physically hold something in my hands. And I like to take my music/movies with me to my friends houses to watch them in a group of people. And waiting for the day that everybody has computer equipment attached to their stereo equipment that can handle every format.... Takes too long. People buy DVD or Blu-ray players.
    I like physical things too and I miss vinyl album artwork.
    But, you know, lets make the best of the situation and embrace the good parts of digital technology. Perfect delivery of music and including surround sound with that is a really wonderful thing. I honestly felt ripped off about 85% of the time with vinyl delivering a poor copy of the master. CD's were a regression for those of us with higher end systems. DVDA and bluray deliver the same lossless perfection as a download but it's still a regression. Formats that revert to lo-fi "core" versions to support older equipment... Now we're just screwing around for no good reason. The music is the focus, not the packaging. It really does make sense to focus on that first and foremost. Anything less makes any talk of packaging a moot point.

    If someone has some creative ideas I think we're all listening. But let's at least take advantage of the good parts we have now. Everyone started using their computers for music servers 10 - 15 years ago. You almost have to go out of your way to stubbornly avoid it now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •