Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Rip and convert DVD and Blu-ray

Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
    welcome to the world of being a hobbyist - and during an era when people expect all software to be free.

I'm just glad we have TLH and other tools available - more than one of them created by other hobbyists.
    Free? Nah.

I just expect not to get bait & switch for premium prices!
    It feels like someone's being greedy and generates questions.

Or at least tell me the final full price without being cagey about it!
    Take bluray for example.
    Sony decided they needed an after market tax (in the form of part of that $50 for MakeMKV or part of the cost of that standalone hardware DVD player). OK... Couldn't just make the price be the price you wanted up front? Do you really wonder why people are giving you that 'look' when you behave like that?

If everyone would just download HD FLAC files directly and ignore greed driven formats I suppose they would go out of business. That would be too easy right?

Offer me a product that sounds better and I'll be handing you my money.
    Take someone's album and degrade the sound and then make the original only available as a deluxe version in a proprietary format that will itself degrade the sound unless you pay even more for an 'accessory' to decode it properly... go **** yourself ya greedy ****! Honestly...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    [...]
    Sony decided they needed an after market tax (in the form of part of that $50 for MakeMKV or part of the cost of that standalone hardware DVD player).
    It is a very persistent rumor here that one has to unavoidable pay $50 for MakeMKV. One does not. You may prolong the trial/beta key via the official forum every month or so: www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Thanks
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    It is a very persistent rumor here that one has to unavoidable pay $50 for MakeMKV. One does not. You may prolong the trial/beta key via the official forum every month or so: www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Yes, this is true of course. I wonder when it will come out of beta and a fee will be required to use the software.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

When it first came out (when bluray was brand new) it required the license to even rip the disc. Demo mode was restricted. They changed it later on. The early stand alone bluray players were crude to the point you couldn't easily connect them to your favorite DAC or rip the disc to your hard drive. (Not to mention a regression to a stand alone hardware player.)

I decided a $100 bluray drive/burner and a $50 app was the way to go. It's been working out just fine.

I do think it's absurd to still see physical discs sold like this! I'd much prefer nice error free downloads. But when a band you like only releases their HD and 5.1 masters on a round shiny disc format, the choices are: not ever hear it, pirate it, or buy the stupid machine they're promoting.

Sony. They're one of the reasons we all can't have nice things.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2016-12-06 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks

...I'd much prefer nice error free downloads...
    If I could go a year with error-free downloads, I might be inclined to agree with you. I've had one bad CD in my life (not counting one I left in the car over the summer and it melted and got warped). Even this year I've had two separate download issues.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    If I could go a year with error-free downloads, I might be inclined to agree with you. I've had one bad CD in my life (not counting one I left in the car over the summer and it melted and got warped). Even this year I've had two separate download issues.
    I've never been unlucky with a bad disc or download, except for this last box set which a few people had some bad discs. I'm still waiting for a replacement disc but more importantly I haven't decided where to keep this box, it's big and cumbersome, it won't even fit under my bed lol

Thanks

When it first came out (when bluray was brand new) it required the license to even rip the disc. Demo mode was restricted. They changed it later on. The early stand alone bluray players were crude to the point you couldn't easily connect them to your favorite DAC or rip the disc to your hard drive. (Not to mention a regression to a stand alone hardware player.)

I decided a $100 bluray drive/burner and a $50 app was the way to go. It's been working out just fine.

I do think it's absurd to still see physical discs sold like this! I'd much prefer nice error free downloads. But when a band you like only releases their HD and 5.1 masters on a round shiny disc format, the choices are: not ever hear it, pirate it, or buy the stupid machine they're promoting.

Clear your box bro

Thanks

I agree w/ you that physical discs aren't the best medium anymore to distribute music. But I for one hate downloads. I want to be able to physically hold something in my hands. And I like to take my music/movies with me to my friends houses to watch them in a group of people. And waiting for the day that everybody has computer equipment attached to their stereo equipment that can handle every format.... Takes too long. People buy DVD or Blu-ray players.

Thanks

I agree w/ you that physical discs aren't the best medium anymore to distribute music. But I for one hate downloads. I want to be able to physically hold something in my hands. And I like to take my music/movies with me to my friends houses to watch them in a group of people. And waiting for the day that everybody has computer equipment attached to their stereo equipment that can handle every format.... Takes too long. People buy DVD or Blu-ray players.
    I have more than one USB stick from bands who have tried to release things via that physical medium. Done right, that can have accompanying art work, but self-publishing bands have to manage the economics of it all quite carefully. And yeah, USB sticks (though physical) probably fall foul of your "stereo equipment compatible with computer equipment" observation. Though iPod docks were starting to get quite popular on equipment for a while back then.

Thanks

I like physical things too and I miss vinyl album artwork.
    But, you know, lets make the best of the situation and embrace the good parts of digital technology. Perfect delivery of music and including surround sound with that is a really wonderful thing. I honestly felt ripped off about 85% of the time with vinyl delivering a poor copy of the master. CD's were a regression for those of us with higher end systems. DVDA and bluray deliver the same lossless perfection as a download but it's still a regression. Formats that revert to lo-fi "core" versions to support older equipment... Now we're just screwing around for no good reason. The music is the focus, not the packaging. It really does make sense to focus on that first and foremost. Anything less makes any talk of packaging a moot point.

If someone has some creative ideas I think we're all listening. But let's at least take advantage of the good parts we have now. Everyone started using their computers for music servers 10 - 15 years ago. You almost have to go out of your way to stubbornly avoid it now.