Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Live compilation exercice: Best-of 1977 North America tour

Thanks

I hope there's something regarding the encores that I don't know about. Honestly, I have yet to hear an encore from this tour that I LOVE performance or quality wise. Boston is pretty ok as I mentioned above... Miami, Dallas... I dunno. Haha

Thanks
    Thanked 3,578 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    I hope there's something regarding the encores that I don't know about. Honestly, I have yet to hear an encore from this tour that I LOVE performance or quality wise. Boston is pretty ok as I mentioned above... Miami, Dallas... I dunno. Haha
    That's been my experience too!

The encores on this tour are more of an exercise in mayhem. The crowd is completely unruly at this point. Then they get 'popular radio hit' unruly. Then you get Dave's solo in Money as this distant sounding under mixed thing punctuated by bursts of super up close sound as it goes screaming past the recording location as it's being gratuitously surround panned around the venue. Then you get Roger trying to tell everyone the next song starts kind of quiet followed by even more screaming when they recognize the tune. Did I mention the "sit down!!!" people? It felt really good spectral editing those assholes out of the Blues encore. Like one of those time travel Star Trek or Dr Who episodes where someone fades out of existence when they get unborn.

I probably went through the versions of Us & Them a little too quickly and settled back to Oakland/NY simply because I heard a little fidelity left. Need to go back through everything with an open mind.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 05-19-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    I probably went through the versions of Us & Them a little too quickly and settled back to Oakland/NY simply because I heard a little fidelity left. Need to go back through everything with an open mind.
    Those really might be the only viable versions. It's hard. Pretty much every version of Us and Them has really bad sax tone with a nice dollup of feedback on it, plus the vocals are pretty sub par. Oakland also has that weird delay artifact where you can hear the vocal mic picking up the drums and repeating things out of time... what a mess. New York for Us and Them?