Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: amazon drive unlimited (and the like...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 50 Posts

Default amazon drive unlimited (and the like...)

just got me 3 months of free unlimited amazon drive.
    am planning on paing the 70/year after that as i am convinced this is the way of getting rid of my x HD's of which i never know when they will die, to a secure, remotely accesible from any device solution
    anyone else got experience with this?
    am shifting my recently downloaded but not back up yet Floyd stuff on it now, some 80GB (not including DG or RW) and will continue from there. one all the "not yet backed up stuff" is uploaded, i will continue with the rest. it does not go too fast though. then again, i got time....
    am convinced this is the future.
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen......YESSSSSSS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 91 Posts

http://www.cloudwards.net/best-cloud-storage/

Amazon Cloud is #5 on their list.

So far, I have Dropbox (pro) 80.00GBP for 1tb per year and Microsoft's OneDrive as part of a Office 365 sub - and Apple's iCloud

Dropbox runs quick and the Desktop app is pretty seamless - the Dropbox drive does act like an external drive, which its supposed to. The OneDrive servers are just too damn slow to be of practical use - never use it. iCloud is again pretty useless except for iOS backups - I prefer to do those backups locally anyway.

According to the guys above Dropbox has had major security breaches, but that might be something to do with in that you're allowed to sign in with your Google I.D. You can say that security is a risk with any cloud storage, so I don't think physical drives and media will disappear any time soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjmack View Post
    http://www.cloudwards.net/best-cloud-storage/

Amazon Cloud is #5 on their list.

So far, I have Dropbox (pro) 80.00GBP for 1tb per year and Microsoft's OneDrive as part of a Office 365 sub - and Apple's iCloud

Dropbox runs quick and the Desktop app is pretty seamless - the Dropbox drive does act like an external drive, which its supposed to. The OneDrive servers are just too damn slow to be of practical use - never use it. iCloud is again pretty useless except for iOS backups - I prefer to do those backups locally anyway.

According to the guys above Dropbox has had major security breaches, but that might be something to do with in that you're allowed to sign in with your Google I.D. You can say that security is a risk with any cloud storage, so I don't think physical drives and media will disappear any time soon.
    i am convinced amazon will iron out all the kink and make it the best product. also, 70€ for UNLIMITED space is not offered by anyone else.
    still, thnx for the link TJ

Thanks

Yeah, but make sure you make use of that 3 month trial. As that site says, it may not be as unlimited as Amazon claims.

Thanks

using netdrive to mount it as an external drive it shows as a "100TB" drive. that for me is enough. i estimate to have around 14TB if i get everything sorted.
    it will just take a while, going at 5MB upload speeds.
    i am also hoping the GUI gets a bit faster and user friendlier, but for the time being, as i only upload, and not really "maintain" i can still live with it.
    and most importantly, i can switch off all those power hungry HD's and not have to worry about losing my data at some point (as long as amazon exists....)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 42 Posts

The cloud accounts are really convenient for sharing files and hosting stuff for yourself for convenient remote access. I wouldn't use them for a backup though! It's still a hard drive somewhere. And it's on someone else's computer system that you can only access with an internet connection. File transfers over online connections are susceptible to errors, so you need to use checksums and verify files if it's something important.

At the end of the day, it's cheaper to buy your own hard drives (primary and backup) than to pay for the service.

If you do use the cloud services, I recommend not using the sync'd mirrored folder feature. Use it as additional offsite storage. All it takes is one file transfer error and there's your mirrored folder getting overwritten with corrupted files!

My 2c

Thanks

I think it's the speed of these cloud services and privacy issues that rule them out replacing people's physical drives entirely. And I've read that Amazon does take an interest on what you store on their service.

Is there a way where you can transfer files from a remote server to your Amazon Cloud drive? It is possible with Dropbox and others

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    The cloud accounts are really convenient for sharing files and hosting stuff for yourself for convenient remote access. I wouldn't use them for a backup though! It's still a hard drive somewhere. And it's on someone else's computer system that you can only access with an internet connection. File transfers over online connections are susceptible to errors, so you need to use checksums and verify files if it's something important.

At the end of the day, it's cheaper to buy your own hard drives (primary and backup) than to pay for the service.

If you do use the cloud services, I recommend not using the sync'd mirrored folder feature. Use it as additional offsite storage. All it takes is one file transfer error and there's your mirrored folder getting overwritten with corrupted files!

My 2c
    kinda. i do have amazon drive on all my devices. i was under the assumption that Amazon guarantees like the raid of all raids to protect the stuff they are saving in their cloud?
    ACD does not support syncing.

Thanks

I was extremely unimpressed with Amazon's cloud drive.

https://smile.amazon.com/review/R171...cm_cr_rdp_perm
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 227 Posts

Never wasted one thought to this `cloudy`stuff. Why upload personal stuff in days to unsecure servers elsewhere if you can keep it at your home? External HDs and even raid solutions have become cheap meanwhile. I backup everything to externals and never seen any sense in this ´cloudy solutions´except to make the corporations like Amazon, Apple and so on even more fat and the big brothers of this world even more greedy...
    "I´m full of dust and guitars...." (Syd Barrett - Rolling Stone - December 1971)