Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Complete' Early Years '65-72' - what do we need to fill in the gaps?

Thanks

Default The 'Complete' Early Years '65-72' - what do we need to fill in the gaps?

Now i know this has been covered off a few times in the main Early Years boxset thread, but i thought it might be good to pull out the information into a separate thread (and i really hope this doesn't turn into another thread of bitchin' about how we're getting screwed by the band with the stuff they left off).

I wanted to try and get a complete list of songs that are missing from the boxset but are circulating amongst the community, so that when the boxset is released we can all fill the gaps to create our very own 'special edition'. Where possible would people also be able to provide information of where the best versions of the tracks can be found (i.e - 67' BBC session - Let There Beeb More Light etc).

Thanks all in advance and i'm sure i'm not the only one this will help :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRACKS TO BE ADDED SO FAR:
    1966-10-31 - Interstellar Overdrive (San Francisco Soundtrack) (Dawn Of The Piper)
    1967-xx-xx - Interstellar Overdrive (French Edit) (Piper 40th Anniversary Edition)
    1967-xx-xx - Apples & Oranges (Stereo Version) (Piper 40th Anniversary Edition)
    1967-xx-xx - Matilda Mother (Alternative Version) (Piper 40th Anniversary Edition)
    1967-xx-xx - Interstellar Overdrive (Take 6) (Piper 40th Anniversary Edition)
    1967-01-20 - Lets Roll Another One (Syncopated Pandemonium)
    1967-01-xx - Candy & A Currant Bun (alternate lyrics) (Dawn Of The Piper)
    1967-02-27 - Candy & A Currant Bun (unreleased drug lyrics)
    1967-11-02 - Flaming (US Single Mix) (Dawn Of The Piper)
    1967-11-05 - The Gnome and Matilda Mother (Top Gear) (Escapist restoration)
    1968-06-22 - A Saucerful of Secrets (Mono)
    1969-03-xx - Cymbaline (film version) (ATFOS)
    1969-03-xx - Seabirds (ATFOS)
    1969-05-02 - Interstellar Overdrive (Ummagumma Outtake) (Careful with these Tracks)
    1970-xx-xx - Give Birth To A Smile (The Body Soundtrack)
    1971-xx-xx - One Of These Days (Nothing Pt 1&2) (Demos) - (Nothing Parts 1 & 2 Cass(low) to DAT(0) [16-48])
    1971-05-xx - Biding My Time (Relics)
    1972-xx-xx - Careful with that Axe Eugene (Alt Studio Take) (Ballet de Marseillies DVD Audio Rip)
    XX-XX-XX - Sunshine/Experiment (Dawn Of The Piper)

TRACKS TO BE SWAPPED OUT SO FAR (upgrades that exist)
    1967-09-25 - *All Tracks* BBC Radio Sessions (Let There Beeb More Light)
    1967-12-20 - *All Tracks* BBC Radio Sessions (Let There Beeb More Light)
    Last edited by metallian; 11-13-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks

Good Idea! I would say that the Ummagumma outtake of Interstellar Overdrive (Careful with these Tracks) and the "San Francisco" version of Interstellar (Dawn of The Piper?) are essential.

I am personally putting together a little "Best of The Bootlegs" collection for stuff that was left off plus audience recordings of most of the songs that were played live. My intention is that it would be a companion to this great box. If it turns out well, I will share it here.

Thanks

Thanks for kicking things off, I'll starting keeping a list in the first post.

I'd love to hear your 'best of the bootlegs' once it's done :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Good Idea! I would say that the Ummagumma outtake of Interstellar Overdrive (Careful with these Tracks) and the "San Francisco" version of Interstellar (Dawn of The Piper?) are essential.

I am personally putting together a little "Best of The Bootlegs" collection for stuff that was left off plus audience recordings of most of the songs that were played live. My intention is that it would be a companion to this great box. If it turns out well, I will share it here.

Thanks

What do you mean by 'Piper 40th Anniversary Edition'? It's not the official 'PatGoD' release (link Amazon). Do you mean 'Dawn of the Piper rev. A' (link 1: Y! torrent --- link 2: info)?

P.S. I can't seem to find 'Let there Beeb more light' in the Torrents section...
    Last edited by meneerjansen; 09-18-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metallian View Post
    Thanks for kicking things off, I'll starting keeping a list in the first post.

I'd love to hear your 'best of the bootlegs' once it's done :-)
    I have done a small remaster of Interstellar from CWTT. I know, remastering a mp3-sourced track might seem strange, but I believe that it came out quite nicely. Anyway I don't know if this would be allowed for a seed, I remember some discussions about that bootleg; I think that this specific track is an outtake, not a new mix of something officially released, so I would not see reasons to ban it, but I prefer somebody to confirm if it is allowed, and if it can be someway interesting.

Thanks

Semi-related: I keep hoping someone will share that "Maxwell Edison" Label Let There Beeb More Light compilation that purports to have better-sounding versions of the BBC tracks slated to appear on the box, but even my best Google detective work can't seem to turn up a copy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blergh View Post
    Semi-related: I keep hoping someone will share that "Maxwell Edison" Label Let There Beeb More Light compilation that purports to have better-sounding versions of the BBC tracks slated to appear on the box, but even my best Google detective work can't seem to turn up a copy.
    I'll share it tomorrow when I'm at home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimirkim View Post
    I'll share it tomorrow when I'm at home.
    I'd check with the Mods first, might be a no no with the Early Years box only weeks away...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    What do you mean by 'Piper 40th Anniversary Edition'? It's not the official 'PatGoD' release (link Amazon). Do you mean 'Dawn of the Piper rev. A' (link 1: Y! torrent --- link 2: info)?
    There is a three disc 'Special 40th Anniv. Ed.' that contains a bonus disc along w/ the stereo and mono version. See for instance: https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-T...elease/1060844

I can't seem to find it on Amazon anymore though...
    Last edited by meneerjansen; 09-19-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    There is a three disc special 40 th anniv. ed. that contains a bonus disc along w/ the stereo and mono version. See for instance: https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-T...elease/1060844

I can't seem to find it on Amazon anymore though...
    Yes, that's the official set released in 2007 which was the first time those three rare tracks were released along with "Apples and Oranges" in stereo... I'd guess that set is now out of print thanks to the whole EMI being sold fiasco but given they were officially released by the band, they would not be permitted here so one will still have to track those tracks down.

I do think that the Ummagumma IO outtake could be valid here but that's not my decision, but can understand why the rest of that alternate mix of the album is not permitted being alternate mixes of the official versions.

Unless it turns out to be a snippet from "John Latham" there's also the 90 second track sometimes called "Sunshine" from the Syd era. Copenhagen and Rotterdam gigs apart, I think that's all the Syd era oddments accounted for since the acetate mixes aren't that radically different and the 2 or 3 "demo" tracks are way too rough quality for comfort. Copenhagen has one important rarity - One In A Million, and I'd also toss in "Reaction In G" from that show because it's a killer performance!