Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Complete' Early Years '65-72' - what do we need to fill in the gaps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeelfan View Post
    Yes, that's the official set released in 2007 which was the first time those three rare tracks were released along with "Apples and Oranges" in stereo... I'd guess that set is now out of print thanks to the whole EMI being sold fiasco but given they were officially released by the band, they would not be permitted here so one will still have to track those tracks down.

I do think that the Ummagumma IO outtake could be valid here but that's not my decision, but can understand why the rest of that alternate mix of the album is not permitted being alternate mixes of the official versions.

Unless it turns out to be a snippet from "John Latham" there's also the 90 second track sometimes called "Sunshine" from the Syd era. Copenhagen and Rotterdam gigs apart, I think that's all the Syd era oddments accounted for since the acetate mixes aren't that radically different and the 2 or 3 "demo" tracks are way too rough quality for comfort. Copenhagen has one important rarity - One In A Million, and I'd also toss in "Reaction In G" from that show because it's a killer performance!
    I agree! Reaction in G from Copenhagen is AWESOME TERRIFIC GREAT performance.
    What a super guitar Syd here played... I always play this song to people who dont understand why I'm Syd fanatic.

Really awaiting to hear the Stockholm take!

I wonder what to the snippet happened that was once send on German Beatclub news...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI Y625-U51 mit Tapatalk

Thanks

To add to the list:
    • Mono ASOS (and possibly other singles from that era)
    • Biding My Time
    • Instrumental mix of Remember a Day
    • Sunshine/Experiment (mentioned previously)
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    To add to the list:
    • Mono ASOS (and possibly other singles from that era)
    • Biding My Time
    • Instrumental mix of Remember a Day
    • Sunshine/Experiment (mentioned previously)
    Biding My Time is available elsewhere and would take unnecessary time on the CDs.

The instrumental mix of Remember A Day that circulates and is taken from the "Remember A Day" film, is actually a fake. I was able to rebuild the same "mix" by taking the regular stereo version from the album and selecting the channel without vocals (vocals are not always on the same channel but are fully separated from the other, so it is not too diffilcult to get rid of them). I suspect this "instrumental" mix was created for the film using the exact same technique. Two elements are supporting my theory:
    1) the instrumental mix is mono (it is obvious that if you select only the channel without vocals the result will be a mono version)
    2) at one point, during the outro of the regular version, the vocals "Reeeee-mem-beeeeer" are going from one channel to the other; this is the only time in the song when you have (during half a second) vocals on both channels (during the transition). And on the instrumental mix, you can hear this half second with some "mmmem" vocals, revealing the technique that was used.
    Therefore, the famous "instrumental mix" that circulates is simply the result of someone doing some basic channel editing of the regular version. This is not a real instrumental mixdown from the multitracks.
    Last edited by MOB; 09-18-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks

I thought Sunshine happened to just be half of Matilda Mother? I haven't listened to it for a long time now, but if it's something that should be on the list, I'll add it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MOB View Post
    Biding My Time is available elsewhere and would take unnecessary time on the CDs.

The instrumental mix of Remember A Day that circulates and is taken from the "Remember A Day" film, is actually a fake. I was able to rebuild the same "mix" by taking the regular stereo version from the album and selecting the channel without vocals (vocals are not always on the same channel but are fully separated from the other, so it is not too diffilcult to get rid of them). I suspect this "instrumental" mix was created for the film using the exact same technique. Two elements are supporting my theroy:
    1) the instrumental mix is mono (it is obvious that if you select only the channel without vocals the result will be a mono version)
    2) at one point, during the outro of the regular version, the vocals "Reeeee-mem-beeeeer" are going from one channel to the other; this is the only time in the song when you have (during half a second) vocals on both channels (during the transition). And on the instrumental mix, you can hear this half second with some "mmmem" vocals, revealing the technique that was used.
    Therefore, the famous "instrumental mix" that circulates is simply the result of someone doing some basic channel editing of the regular version. This is not a real instrumental mixdown from the multitracks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metallian View Post
    I thought Sunshine happened to just be half of Matilda Mother? I haven't listened to it for a long time now, but if it's something that should be on the list, I'll add it :-)
    No, you're thinking about something else. The first few seconds sound like the intro to Opel (just on organ). The rest is about a minute of upbeat rock, nothing like Matilda Mother or any other song in the Syd catalog. We don't really know where it comes from. For all we know it is part of John Latham but I suspect it isn't part of the upcoming release.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks

Great, I'll put that on the list then. Would the best quality version be on Dawn of the Piper or found somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    No, you're thinking about something else. The first few seconds sound like the intro to Opel (just on organ). The rest is about a minute of upbeat rock, nothing like Matilda Mother or any other song in the Syd catalog. We don't really know where it comes from. For all we know it is part of John Latham but I suspect it isn't part of the upcoming release.

Thanks

So the 12-20-67 tracks are also upgrades on the beeb release?i thought only the September tracks were.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    There is a three disc special 40 th anniv. ed. that contains a bonus disc along w/ the stereo and mono version. See for instance: https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-T...elease/1060844

I can't seem to find it on Amazon anymore though...
    There are two entries, here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Piper-at-Gate..._mus_dp_dpt_21

or here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Piper-at-Gate...t_mus_dp_dpt_2

You're going to pay $60+ for used to well over a hundred new for it. My copy says it's made in Holland. The ones listed above I believe are from Japan.

Thanks

Gotta have the alternate lyrics version of "Candy & A Currant Bun".

My assumption is that someone out there will now assemble an even more Ultimate Zabriskie Point box set. I don't even want to think of how many different fragments there might be now.

Thanks

I'm not sure to be honest, I listed both dates just based on the discussions around there being better circulated copies of the 1967 shows. If it is just the September show that is an upgrade, I'll make an amendment to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by jjy View Post
    So the 12-20-67 tracks are also upgrades on the beeb release?i thought only the September tracks were.