Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd BBC radio sessions 1967-1971 - creating the best possible compilation

Thanks

Just found this thread and wanted to say thank you to everyone evolved in this thing here. I appreciate your work very much. The HRV Rev B set of 67-69 has been one of my favorite discs since I got it, and to have an upgrade for that stuff... Gee!

Thanks

When is this going to be release?

Thanks

So, how are we doing with this? Any further news? Really looking forward to the final product.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,505 Times in 335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    So, how are we doing with this? Any further news? Really looking forward to the final product.
    We might release it in September Mark. Taking our time to get it right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    We might release it in September.
    A lifelong obsession of mine finally put to rest!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 41 Posts

I took another long break from the project to reset my head and approach the final round with fresh ears. Also working on a couple presentation surprises that should be well received. I'm treating the mastering with as much care as possible and taking the more difficult paths considering the historical importance of this material. Basically all the things that weren't done at all with TEY release.

Say...
    Is there anybody out there than can talk about the BBC recording process?

I believe it went something like this:

Band performs and records to multitrack.
    This must be 4 track right?
    Overdubs here and there and then a mono mix. This is the mono mix master.

Now the shows are produced. Some live (usually John Peel), some pre-recorded (usually Brian Matthew).
    The show setup would be the DJ mic and then a tape deck with the mono mix master patched into a mixing board. The DJ would cue the tapes and do his voice overs. The mix from this board would be recorded and this would be the mono show master (which now includes 1st gen copies of the mix masters).

For the shows done live, this master recording rolled during the broadcast and was archived for possible rebroadcast.

For the shows pre-recorded, the master show recording was usually sent to be pressed to vinyl (BBC transcription discs) to distribute to affiliate stations. The mono show master tape would again be a 1st gen copy of the master mix tape. The vinyl pressing would be a 2nd gen copy of the master mix tape.

When two different shows were produced (by both John and Brian) they each contain unique 1st gen copies of the same original mono mix master. Unique "mastering" if you will. The very same mix master source but with different fader moves fading it in/out around a voice over and so forth.

To recap:
    4 track multitracks (long lost - probably erased and reused the tape back in the day in fact)
    master mix (everything from 67 & 68 lost)
    1st gen mix with DJ sequencing and voice overs (everything from 67 & 68 lost)
    transcription disc with 2nd gen mix with DJ sequencing and (1st gen) voice overs
    - Any discs returned to the BBC from affiliates would have been smashed and the scrap vinyl returned to the pressing plants. SOP so as not to risk re-playing a disc that may have gotten a scratch or skip. The odd discs that never got returned are what we have to be extremely thankful for today!

The BBC Club shows were actually performed live on the air. This is why you hear a wilder, less controlled mix and no overdubs. It was done live. I'm not aware if these were ever recorded by the station. I've only ever heard post broadcast recordings.

That is all based on the obvious evidence we have. It would still be nice to be able to verify all that from another angle if anyone has any stories or information.

Note, there are edited versions of some of the songs broadcast on the 1968-07-03 show (LTBML & Murderotic Women - Julia Dream was broadcast uncut here but an edited version of it turns up years later in a rebroadcast that included the same edited masters of the other two songs). So apparently there was a razor blade session in preproduction for Brians first broadcast of this set. Later broadcasts used the unedited versions. If I speculate that a 1st gen safety copy was made to edit with. That gives us 1 gen higher for the show master and transcription discs for these songs. If I speculate the other way around and they kept a safety copy and then edited the master, then flip the above gen comments the other way. This 2nd alternative sounds a bit rash in hindsight but you never know.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 08-12-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    We might release it in September Mark. Taking our time to get it right.
    Excellent work!!! Very grateful. Neon, you are the main Lokomotiv Y! Many thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19326AqZOE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2CFC7NNgZ4

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

Thanks

I don't think there were any overdubs for the 70/71 shows.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    I don't think there were any overdubs for the 70/71 shows.
    Sure. The only obvious overdubs where they added additional arrangement or fx sounds were the 1st '67 set and then RITC right?

We know they weren't shy of production tricks or editing and they didn't have any purist attitude. There could be other work that we just can't hear any signs of.
    I don't mean to speculate about that though. My intention was mostly to point out the fact that the songs were recorded to multitrack and mixed as opposed to a live performance being also mixed live to mono (like the BBC Club show was). This is incontrovertible from the evidence we have in our hands from the surviving recordings. This might be common knowledge for some but I have seen discussions before suggesting different broadcasts being alternate performances. Likely stemming from confusion from the recordings being in various states of degradation and running at wrong speeds as well as the unique voice overs and head/tail fades/segues from the different broadcasts.

I can speculate on the minimum number of generations needed for the broadcast shows and transcription discs to have come to be and that's what I did above. It would be nice if someone could talk about any of that production work from 1st hand experience. (Second or third hand would still be good too!)
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 08-12-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,926 Times in 49 Posts

Thanks in advance for all your hard work on these recordings. Can't wait to hear the results!!

Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms