Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Pink Floyd BBC radio sessions 1967-1971 - creating the best possible compilation

Thanks

Thanks for the update. Exciting times.

Jim, I believe the very first sessions were recorded straight to mono, with any overdubs done tape-to-tape. Bernie Andrews explains the process in Random Precision I believe. Let me know if you don't have a copy and I'll dig mine out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    Thanks for the update. Exciting times.

Jim, I believe the very first sessions were recorded straight to mono, with any overdubs done tape-to-tape. Bernie Andrews explains the process in Random Precision I believe. Let me know if you don't have a copy and I'll dig mine out.
    I don't have a copy of that.

Interesting! Sounds like they did a good job with that workflow as well then. That's the kind of info I was asking about, thanks Marksturdy. The parts that I stated were "incontrovertible from the evidence we have in our hands from the surviving recordings" are the DJ/voiceover mix using the master mixes of the live songs. We have the direct evidence as the alternate broadcasts contain carbon copies of the live mixes which cannot happen by coincidence. And then things like obviously the transcription disc was sourced from the master voiceover mix.

But the original recording sessions kind of need to come with a story if we want to know those details. 4-track decks were in existence and use in 1967, so I threw that out as speculation.