Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd BBC radio sessions 1967-1971 - creating the best possible compilation

Thanks
    Thanked 23,510 Times in 291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    The ebay seller said he will rip it over the weekend. So I should have the files by early next week.
    Excellent, let's hope they fulfil the potential of this LP.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,620 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Excellent, let's hope they fulfil the potential of this LP.
    Indeed. Such a wide range of variables with turntable setups. Fingers crossed for the more reasonable end of things!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    The ebay seller said he will rip it over the weekend. So I should have the files by early next week.
    Curious to know if there is an indication he has the proper equipment and know how to do it well...

Thanks

Ok so I got the files from the ebay seller and I think it may certainly be worthwhile to compare to other versions. The LP rip is very clean with no background noise and not much in the way of clicks or pops with full announcer intro for each song and is 24bit 96K full frequency. I'll PM the DL links to Neon
    Last edited by swanlee; 01-07-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks

Thank you swanlee! Definitely a worthwhile exercise. It's a nice 24/96 transfer at a good volume. I have trimmed off Brian Matthew (I would not do this for a release) and added gain for an easier comparison to the official version. My first impression is that the official version has been heavily eq'd to sharpen and brighten it up. Your transfer has a warmer, more authentic feel to it and you are right about it being very clean. The waveform looks healthier and the channels are more balanced without the need for any adjustment. Jimfisheye has been working on my transfer of careful53's tape of the other two tracks and I'll pass the links on to him for his expert view if that would be OK with you?

Thanks

Yea you can do whatever you want with these neon, no worries

Thanks

This all looks incredibly promising. Thanks to all concerned for the painstaking work that's going into this project.

In all fairness to the compilers of the official box set (and I know they did drop the ball inexcusably on a couple of things) this thread does underline why they didn't quite nail the BBC aspect of the box. The ultimate version is such an arcane patchwork of different sources that getting it right to this degree really is a lifetime's work.

Thanks

"An arcane patchwork of different sources" would make a good Relics-style strap line for our release

Thanks

swanlee - are you able to post any information about the equipment used for the transcription disc please?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,620 Times in 41 Posts

There's a little curiosity here.
    The 2 channels of this new transfer null down to -55db with no warbling/phasing sounds. (PMATS L ch is 0.10db louder so with that adjusted for.)
    Perfect phase alignment to the sample right out of the box.
    Not a perfect null means something analog was involved. Meaning it's not a single channel digitally cloned into stereo.

No warbles. Nothing shifted by even a sample (in 96k mind you). The noise (any clicks or what have you) identical as well. It isn't a stereo pickup (stylus) of a mono lp (the noise would be different). I guess it has to be a mono pickup wired to stereo (ie dual mono output coming off it)? That to a phono preamp and then the audio interface.