Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd BBC radio sessions 1967-1971 - creating the best possible compilation

Thanks

Brilliant thanks for this info, this place is great !!

Question: Does the BBC6 Night version (I recorded it to minidisc from DAB but do not have a player at the mo to check) of 'The Scarecrow' contain the version where there is joking and banter over the first part of the song by the DJ's ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 91 Posts

Remember to include FOS from 1970, great posts BTW

Thanks

Fantastic detailed research. Thanks!!!
    If only the band reached out for this type of assistance.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,900 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CCE338 View Post
    Remember to include FOS from 1970, great posts BTW
    I knew I would get something wrong! Spent 2-3 hours amassing the information today and felt compelled to finish it last night before going to sleep. Now amended and I'll change the posts at the beginning of the thread where necessary like the 'list of best known sources' thread. I think this should be made a sticky and hope the moderators agree it would be a good idea

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    I knew I would get something wrong! Spent 2-3 hours amassing the information today and felt compelled to finish it last night before going to sleep. Now amended and I'll change the posts at the beginning of the thread where necessary like the 'list of best known sources' thread. I think this should be made a sticky and hope the moderators agree it would be a good idea
    Agreed, this really deserves the 'sticky' status. Thanks, it is the comprehensive summary we needed.
    One word about December 68 transfer. In the version from you and Beechwoods IO is plagued by static, and I am quite doubtful that it could be the best version. I think that we should stick with HRV for that track.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 Times in 109 Posts

Wow, what a thread, solid work man
    Click here to download my Pink Floyd tradelist! Updated on 2016-08-31

Is this where I'm supposed to say something clever?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,562 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Fantastic detailed research. Thanks!!!
    If only the band reached out for this type of assistance.
    If only the band had responded to assistance reaching out to them right?
    I think we all want them to look and sound their best.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,766 Times in 77 Posts

Re: December 20, 1967 Sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    7. Vegetable Man - LTBML
    8. Scream Thy Last Scream - LTBML
    9. Pow R Toc H - LTBML
    10. Jugband Blues - LTBML

This one is simple - find out who created Let There Beeb More Light or use it if necessary. Might be worth trying Ken Garner for this date as well.

I have transferred some tapes which were copied from a set of reels donated to the BBC of the complete three hour programme. They are a very good representation of what you would expect an off-air recording from the time to sound like and are inferior to LTBML. The only thing they offer is a little bit more DJ chatter.

There is also an incomplete three part MP3 recording that can probably still be found online. It sounds pretty bad but could have a relationship to LTBML.
    The LTBML material looks very similar to what's on JWB's The Syd Barrett Tapes but sounds a bit brighter. I believe the compiler of LTBML took that and applied some EQ to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB
    I am not a member of the Pink Floyd bootleg community, but I am a huge Syd Barrett fan. I was given the raw material for this set by a knowledgeable Floyd collector
    The original source material on HRV, JWB, HYGIY and LTBML ultimately seems to come from the same medium wave transmission in 1986 but from different transfers and processed and edited differently.

Corrections welcome!
    Last edited by Bert13; 12-08-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,900 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    Re: December 20, 1967 Sessions.

The LTBML material looks very similar to what's on JWB's The Syd Barrett Tapes but sounds a bit brighter. I believe the compiler of LTBML took that and applied some EQ to it.
    You're right - great spot! I'll amend the top of the thread. Are you also saying that you think the JWB copy is sourced from the 1986 rebroadcast? If yes, I think you are wrong about that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falbrav View Post
    Agreed, this really deserves the 'sticky' status. Thanks, it is the comprehensive summary we needed.
    One word about December 68 transfer. In the version from you and Beechwoods IO is plagued by static, and I am quite doubtful that it could be the best version. I think that we should stick with HRV for that track.
    Few more remarks.
    Both Arnold_Layne wonderful transfers, DSD and PCM, are equally worth. PCM has the advantage of being easier to remaster, of course. And a small adjustment would be needed indeed to reach perfection, for me that reel sounded slightly too bright.
    Mono masters from jonsacticuk are nice, but unfortunately he didn't finalize it as real dual-channel mono. There are slight phase issues through all tracks on both discs.