Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd BBC radio sessions 1967-1971 - creating the best possible compilation

Thanks
    Thanked 26,180 Times in 331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falbrav View Post
    One word about December 68 transfer. In the version from you and Beechwoods IO is plagued by static, and I am quite doubtful that it could be the best version. I think that we should stick with HRV for that track.
    I will listen again but don't think I agree. The Beechwoods IO sounds more natural than the HRV version. It should sound even better when we go back a generation.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    You're right - great spot! I'll amend the top of the thread. Are you also saying that you think the JWB copy is sourced from the 1986 rebroadcast? If yes, I think you are wrong about that.
    I thought so yes, but I'm certainly not sure about it. That's why I said corrections are welcome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    I thought so yes, but I'm certainly not sure about it. That's why I said corrections are welcome.
    The Peely comments on LTBML and JWB match and they are missing on the 1986 rebroadcast. The transition from comments to songs are smooth on JWB, so they couldn't have been crafted on.

Thanks

I will listen again but don't think I agree. The Beechwoods IO sounds more natural than the HRV version. It should sound even better when we go back a generation.
    Well, static bursts are of course there. But your remark leads to the opportunity of a patch...

Thanks

The Peely comments on LTBML and JWB match and they are missing on the 1986 rebroadcast. The transition from comments to songs are smooth on JWB, so they couldn't have been crafted on.
    Just checked and you're right, the 1986 BBC One transmission was from an offline copy without Peel's comments and sounds inferior. The announcer mentions that was all they had and the original recording was wiped. Do you know who the announcer was?

Thanks

The announcer mentions that was all they had and the original recording was wiped. Do you know who the announcer was?
    It was Tommy Vance.

Thanks

It was Tommy Vance.
    Thanks. He co-hosted the first broadcast on December 31 1967 with Peel, right?

Time to update my notes for this Session. Thanks for starting this thread neon, great opportunity to get it all sorted as best as possible.

Thanks

Excellent, thank you neonknight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falbrav View Post
    Few more remarks.
    Both Arnold_Layne wonderful transfers, DSD and PCM, are equally worth. PCM has the advantage of being easier to remaster, of course. And a small adjustment would be needed indeed to reach perfection, for me that reel sounded slightly too bright.
    Mono masters from jonsacticuk are nice, but unfortunately he didn't finalize it as real dual-channel mono. There are slight phase issues through all tracks on both discs.
    Good points falbrav. I have added the observation about the PCM version to the top of the thread. There ought to be DAT 48kHz versions out there somewhere. Do you have copies on DAT jonsacticuk?

Thanks

Thanks. He co-hosted the first broadcast on December 31 1967 with Peel, right?
    Yes that's right.