Thread: Bob Dylan The 1966 live Recordings 36 cd boxed set

Thanks
    Thanked 3,062 Times in 226 Posts

Default Bob Dylan The 1966 live Recordings 36 cd boxed set

I have just bought the 36 cd box set of bob Dylan "The 1966 Live Recordings" for 94 from amazon.

It's absolutely fantastic. Interesting as well it includes at least 3 shows sourced from audience tapes.

Could/would the Floyd consider a release like this and at this price? I doubt it myself personally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrammylad View Post
    I have just bought the 36 cd box set of bob Dylan "The 1966 Live Recordings" for 94 from amazon.

It's absolutely fantastic. Interesting as well it includes at least 3 shows sourced from audience tapes.

Could/would the Floyd consider a release like this and at this price? I doubt it myself personally.
    I have this also. An astounding collection for the money. I wish Floyd would just roll the tapes onto some discs and pack it up like this in a basic manner-- complete tapes, presumably definitive, not too altered (no NR, no/limited fade outs, not incomplete clips, etc), and little to no packaging costs. I'm not holding my breath, as Floyd have clearly found success with holding back (or not even bothering to look for) the complete and definitive recordings while charging a whopping sum nonetheless.

Opinions differ, I understand, but the Dylan box feels like a "thank you" to the fans, whereas the EY box is by contrast, a cash grab/slap in the face. I feel that breaking up Wembley '74 over 3 box sets with combined msrp's of close to $1000 or so makes this clear and speaks for itself. I have never seen a band even try to do this.

I hate believing this about one of my favorite bands and regret that it seems this way. Again, I understand that opinions differ, and perhaps if I had no boots I might feel differently.
    Last edited by sb33334; 12-16-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks

Though in reality it's the latest of a line of Dylan archive releases to claim the copyrights due to that 50 year ruling, this set nevertheless gives an excellent idea of how to tackle such material in a no nonsense manner. We knew that Sony had some shows on multitrack and a host of soundboards but to also add the boots to the mix AND charge a good price... well... that's how to please and satisfy the fanbase. King Crimson do likewise with their large boxsets and digital downloads and they don't shy from using boots where need be either.

Unfortunately as is evident, the recent Floyd set has provoked many mixed feelings as visually it seems they hit the spot but were perhaps too selective when it came to the audio and some mistakes were made which given the high price tag has not pleased everyone. I can't see how anyone can complain about the Dylan set, the Crimson sets are always well received and together, they show how things could and should be done when it comes to archive material.