Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wembley Tapes - a study of Pink Floyd's official live releases

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default The Wembley Tapes - a study of Pink Floyd's official live releases

More tracks coming soon. Okay, after analysis here is the first real breakdown after syncing:

Echoes (Live at Wembley 1974)

CD: Early Days Boxset
    SBD: BBC Archives 1974 (HRV)

It is entirely from November 16th 1974, from beginning to end (crowd chatter included). CD and SBD match perfectly after speed correction (SBD is a bit too fast). Only two adjustments have been made though by the Pink Floyd camp:
    • The very first 'ping' in the opening (00:09 -> 00:11) has been patched from one found later in the song, filtered and with a bit of reverb added. While it's true that Rick first note wasn't properly hit, not sure if that was worthy of an edit so early in the song.
    • During the build-up after the seagull section, 6 seconds have been patched (17:44 -> 17:50) with a previous section (17:30 -> 17:36) to cover up obvious mistakes made by Roger on bass. It's well-done and a welcome patch in this case.

Patch.PNG
    Pictured here: the aforementioned patch to cover-up the bassist's mistakes

Notes:
    This confirms that they only could use the stereo mixdown from the 16th (incomplete multitracks only available for the 15th).

Speak To Me (live from Wembley 1974)

CD: Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion set
    SBD: BBC Archives 1974 HRV
    AUD: Rec 2 NB Master November 16th

This one is completly from November 16th. The CD and AUD recordings lines up perfectly all the way through, crowd noise (even whistling and random shouting) included. A very minimal constant speed correction do the trick. This part of the stereo mixdown was never released before, even on the SBD source (see notes below).

A couple of patch have been used to cover up instruments tuning sounds. They are easy to spot because of the audience. Let me give you two examples:
    • 00:42 -> 00:48 you can hear a 3 second audience loop repeated two times. Same whistling, same guy on the right speaker saying what I think is "What? I can't understand!". It's to cover up some feedback.
    • 01:59.40 -> 02:01.00 A guy in the audience say something loudly with a pirate voice. You can hear it too from 01:38.00 -> 01:39.50. Here it is used to cover up some organ tuning.

The ending was slightly trimmed (by 330ms) to smooth out the timing on the very beginning of Breathe.

Breathe (live from Wembley 1974)

This one is completly from November 16th. The CD and AUD recordings lines up perfectly all the way through, crowd noise (even whistling and random shouting) included. A very minimal constant speed correction do the trick. This part of the stereo mixdown was never released before, even on the SBD source (see notes below).

Only one patch to be found:
    • 00:40.70 -> 00:42.00 Very short patch (coming from later in the song) to cover for Rick playing the wrong note. Very well done, I would never have guessed if it wasn't for the audience recording. It cuts a bit of the guitar reverb if you listen very very carefuly.

Notes about the SBD source:
    There is a major difference between the CD and the SBD: the audience. From what we know, all that survives from the 16th is the the final stereo mixdown. But this one is very dry. So dry that there is no audience to be heard on "Speak To Me" at all. How is that possible? Simple: the SBD is an alternate mixdown with the audience mics turned off at the beginning.

Here, I've come to believe that the SBD tape is indeed the live feed, but this particular song let us only hear some channels of the quadraphonic live tape that was played during the film on the opening of the set.
    Last edited by Eckoes; 01-12-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,724 Times in 76 Posts

Thumbs up

Very interesting post, thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 23,457 Times in 291 Posts

I agree with Bert - it's always good to see this type of in-depth analysis.

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for your indepth analysis.

Thanks

Very nice work. Thanks for the scoop.

Thanks

Thumbs up

This is fantastic !! Thanks very much for taking the time to do such an in depth analysis. This is greatly appreciated by all I'm sure.

Thanks

Excellent analysis! Looking forward to the other songs.

Thanks

Speak To Me (live from Wembley 1974)

SBD: BBC Archives 1974 HRV

A couple of patch have been used to cover up instruments tuning sounds. They are easy to spot because of the audience. Let me give you two examples:
    • 00:42 -> 00:48 you can hear a 3 second audience loop repeated two times. Same whistling, same guy on the right speaker saying what I think is "What? I can't understand!". It's to cover up some feedback.
    • 01:59.40 -> 02:01.00 A guy in the audience say something loudly with a pirate voice. You can hear it too from 01:38.00 -> 01:39.50. Here it is used to cover up some organ tuning.

The ending was slightly trimmed (by 330ms) to smooth out the timing on the very beginning of Breathe.

Notes about the SBD source:
    There is a major difference between the CD and the SBD: the audience. From what we know, all that survives from the 16th is the the final stereo mixdown. But this one is very dry. So dry that there is no audience to be heard on "Speak To Me" at all. How is that possible? Simple: the SBD is an alternate mixdown with the audience mics turned off at the beginning.

Here, I've come to believe that the SBD tape is indeed the live feed, but this particular song let us only hear some channels of the quadraphonic live tape that was played during the film on the opening of the set.
    Last edited by Eckoes; 01-11-2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Lots of bullsh*t

Thanks

One data point is that Speak to Me has the exact same pitch error that all 1974 shows seem to have, where the tape has been sped up by some non-trivial amount (at least 2 - 2.5%). It's most obvious in the transition to Breathe, where what should be a very smooth transition from the last chord on tape to the first chord live is instead jarringly out of tune, but the heartbeat and voices are faster too.

I've always been surprised this doesn't bother more people, and evidently didn't bother the band. 1975 shows also have a pitch error (still too fast), but from what I can tell it's not as consistent or severe -- except at Knebworth, of course.

1973 was fine, so I have no idea what happened: did they speed up the tape to sync with some change in the film projection setup, or did an error simply creep in? I personally think it could have been an undiagnosed voltage issue, given what happened to the effects in Knebworth (speeding up to the point of absurdity), or simply an improperly calibrated reel machine. But either way, it was back to normal/correct pitch in 1994.

All this suggests that whatever the audio source is, it's from a live feed, since an overdub in the BBC studios would either mean that (a) they sped the reel machine up by the same amount (highly doubtful) or (b) the Speak to Me tape was specifically re-recorded at a faster speed than the 1973 effects tape (also highly doubtful since they partially corrected it in 1975).

I'm also surprised that the band didn't bother to try to fix the huge discord between the end of Speak to Me and the first chord of Breathe, but maybe it was impossible.
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,900 Times in 48 Posts

Great analysis, fantastic topic!
    I love when such details are analysed, well done Eckoes!