Thread: The Wembley Tapes - a study of Pink Floyd's official live releases

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default The Wembley Tapes - a study of Pink Floyd's official live releases

More tracks coming soon. Okay, after analysis here is the first real breakdown after syncing:

Echoes (Live at Wembley 1974)

CD: Early Days Boxset
    SBD: BBC Archives 1974 (HRV)

It is entirely from November 16th 1974, from beginning to end (crowd chatter included). CD and SBD match perfectly after speed correction (SBD is a bit too fast). Only two adjustments have been made though by the Pink Floyd camp:
    • The very first 'ping' in the opening (00:09 -> 00:11) has been patched from one found later in the song, filtered and with a bit of reverb added. While it's true that Rick first note wasn't properly hit, not sure if that was worthy of an edit so early in the song.
    • During the build-up after the seagull section, 6 seconds have been patched (17:44 -> 17:50) with a previous section (17:30 -> 17:36) to cover up obvious mistakes made by Roger on bass. It's well-done and a welcome patch in this case.

Patch.PNG
    Pictured here: the aforementioned patch to cover-up the bassist's mistakes

Notes:
    This confirms that they only could use the stereo mixdown from the 16th (incomplete multitracks only available for the 15th).
    Last edited by Eckoes; 01-09-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,762 Times in 77 Posts

Thumbs up

Very interesting post, thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 23,838 Times in 299 Posts

I agree with Bert - it's always good to see this type of in-depth analysis.

Thanks

Interesting, thanks for your indepth analysis.

Thanks

Very nice work. Thanks for the scoop.

Thanks

Thumbs up

This is fantastic !! Thanks very much for taking the time to do such an in depth analysis. This is greatly appreciated by all I'm sure.

Thanks

Excellent analysis! Looking forward to the other songs.

Thanks

Speak To Me (live from Wembley 1974)

CD: Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion set
    SBD: BBC Archives 1974 HRV
    AUD1: November 15th audience tape from HRV

This one is hard. The band is playing a pre-recorded tape to the audience. I think it's possible that this is not live at all, but I have reason to believe that there is a small chance it could be November 16th though. The two recordings lines up perfectly all the way through, a very minimal constant speed correction do the trick. Moreso, the first part of the Dark Side set is allegedly missing for November 15th. It would make sense

But there is a major difference between the CD and the SBD: the audience. From what we know, all that survives from the 16th is the the final stereo mixdown. But this one is very dry. So dry that there is no audience to be heard on "Speak To Me" at all. How is that possible?

I've come to believe that the beginning of the SBD tape is not live at all. It is some channels of the quadraphonic live tape that was played during the opening of the set. For two reasons:
    • "I've been mad for ****ing years" is barely heard on the SBD tape, we can only hear some back-of-the-hall-kind of reverb of it, but strangely no audience at all. They were cheering loudly at that moment on the AUD tape, we would have hear them. I conclude that the voice was on a channel of the Quad mix that was not mixed during the stereo mixdown phase;
    • There an obvious tape splice that could be heard (and seen) at the very end of it to join it with Breathe. The live show only starts really at Breathe.

STM tape splice.PNG
    Pictured here: the tape slice

One thing is for sure: they overdubbed audiences and FX the CD. I can prove it. For the audience, let me give you two examples:
    • 00:42 -> 00:48 you can hear a 3 second audience loop repeated two times. Same whistling, same guy on the right speaker saying what I think is "What? I can't understand!"
    • 01:38.00 -> 01:39.50 A guy in the audience say something loudly with a pirate voice. You can hear it too at 01:59.40 -> 02:01.00.

Before grabbing forks and screaming outrage, let me say outright that those overdubs renders perfectly what the audience could be hear doing in the audience tapes from those nights. Same reactions at the same moments, it is not exaggerated in any way. Where those audience noises came from? We may never know. But those are consistent with the ambience one can hear during the tune-ups before Echoes on the SBD. Since there was loooooong pause between songs in the first set, and also because it was recorded on the 15th, they might come from there. Speculations it is, but very likely.

As for FX, the stereo mixdown of the SBD tape is missing some quad channels. Obvious solution: overdubbing what's missing. One example:
    • 01:32 -> 01:40 "I've been mad for ****ing years" disappears into reverb on the SBD but it crystal clear on the CD. It's an overdub that was necessary.

But then something grabs my attention:
    1. 00:35 -> 00:38 There is a sound effect on the CD that's not present on the SBD. What is it eludes me for the moment, it sounds like white noise filtered. Something similar is present on AUD1 at that moment, but it's not it.

3 possibilities:
    • It's not really live because no tape is available. The prerecorded tape was used with overdubs of audiences and FX; (very likely)
    • The very beginning could be from the 15th before switching to 16th+overdubs for the rest (less likely);
    • This could be really from November 16th all the way, but this is the real live tape we don't have (the SBD is not) augmented with overdubs. (very unlikely)

To be absolutly sure, I need help here.
    Can someone help me grabbing audience tapes from the 16th? I need it to confirm where Speak To Me comes from. Therefore I'd be able to conclude
    Last edited by Eckoes; 01-10-2017 at 04:17 AM.