Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wembley Tapes - a study of Pink Floyd's official live releases

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    One data point is that Speak to Me has the exact same pitch error that all 1974 shows seem to have, where the tape has been sped up by some non-trivial amount (at least 2 - 2.5%). It's most obvious in the transition to Breathe, where what should be a very smooth transition from the last chord on tape to the first chord live is instead jarringly out of tune, but the heartbeat and voices are faster too.

I've always been surprised this doesn't bother more people, and evidently didn't bother the band. 1975 shows also have a pitch error (still too fast), but from what I can tell it's not as consistent or severe -- except at Knebworth, of course.

1973 was fine, so I have no idea what happened: did they speed up the tape to sync with some change in the film projection setup, or did an error simply creep in? I personally think it could have been an undiagnosed voltage issue, given what happened to the effects in Knebworth (speeding up to the point of absurdity), or simply an improperly calibrated reel machine. But either way, it was back to normal/correct pitch in 1994.

All this suggests that whatever the audio source is, it's from a live feed, since an overdub in the BBC studios would either mean that (a) they sped the reel machine up by the same amount (highly doubtful) or (b) the Speak to Me tape was specifically re-recorded at a faster speed than the 1973 effects tape (also highly doubtful since they partially corrected it in 1975).
    Interesting. It's possible that what we hear on the SBD tape is the screen film from Speak To Me, partially (some quad channels missing). That would explain the mysterious sound effect we hear at the beginning, and that would mean they overdubbed audiences noise and FX to it for the official release. That would make sense, isn't it?

Could somebody please re-seed audience tapes from Novemnber 16th? That would be appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eckoes View Post
    00:35 -> 00:38 There is a sound effect on the CD that's not present on the SBD. What is it eludes me for the moment, it sounds like white noise filtered. Something similar is present on AUD1 at that moment, but it's not it.
    The exact same sound is present on the audience tape from 1974-11-16, though I'm not sure whether it's happening at the exact same time point relative to the synth chords. But it's definitely there at 2:18 in "Completely Brain Damaged - Vol. 3", which I guess is Recorder 2.

EDIT: Looks like I don't have Rec. 1 at all, and the only torrent I have a link for apparently had extraction errors:

1974-11-16 - Wembley Empire Pool,London (Rec 1)

I guess we need a new torrent for Rec. 1? 1974-11-16 isn't covered on the List of best known sources at all except for the SBD/FM source.
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The exact same sound is present on the audience tape from 1974-11-16, though I'm not sure whether it's happening at the exact same time point relative to the synth chords. But it's definitely there at 2:18 in "Completely Brain Damaged - Vol. 3", which I guess is Recorder 2.

EDIT: Looks like I don't have Rec. 1 at all, and the only torrent I have a link for apparently had extraction errors:

1974-11-16 - Wembley Empire Pool,London (Rec 1)

I guess we need a new torrent for Rec. 1? 1974-11-16 isn't covered on the List of best known sources at all except for the SBD/FM source.
    Could anybody reseed it to me, please?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,724 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eckoes View Post
    Could anybody reseed it to me, please?
    It's seeded now.

EDIT: btw, I have a sample of this recorder which originates from Jon R and was sent to me by neonknight a few years ago. It's only the first 7:34 of the show, the rest of that tape is not available unfortunately but I can confirm that the mentioned static is also present on the sample, which does sound better than the torrented one. So, the crackle/static is not caused by extraction errors as it wasn't transferred from a digital source.
    Last edited by Bert13; 01-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 94 Posts

It's a shame that the band only released a sbd from Wembley. I can't speak for everyone else but it was not a good performance and the sound is not good (which has nothing to do with the recording and everything to do with the sound quality of the performance)

Thanks to the immersion sets and the new release,I can listen to the whole Wembley show (albeit a frankenstein version) but it's the last thing I go for when I want to hear a good Floyd show. I'll even take a fair sounding AUD over Wembley.
    "They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking,they don't want well-informed,well educated people capable of critical thinking.They're not interested in that,it doesn't help them."

"They don't want people smart enough to sit at the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting ****ed by a system that threw them overboard 30 ****in' years ago,they don't want that.You know what they want? Obedient workers.People who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork and just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shittier jobs with the lower pay,the longer hours,the reduced benefits,the end of overtime and the vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it"
    RIP George Carlin.

Thanks

BTW Eckoes, 1974-11-16 Rec. 2 is live here:

Pink Floyd 1974-11-16 (raw master rec2)

I just downloaded it, and it's definitely the one to prefer -- it has the full intro with audience before DSOTM (unlike the MoLM release) and much closer to correct speed (unlike the CBDv3 release).

Bert13, thanks for re-activating 1974-11-16 Rec. 1, and for the info about the different copies of that recorder, including that interesting sample. I've read about a bootleg called Black Holes in the Sky (not the Harvested release) that doesn't have the static, or at least the static isn't mentioned in the descriptions I've read...?

I don't want to derail Eckoes's thread, but since sources for these shows are useful in research, I should note that we're pretty short on torrents for the audience sources of 1974-11-15. In particular I don't think we have an active torrent for either the Great Dane or Harvested version of 1974-11-15 Rec. 1, and the torrent with the Lokkerman recorder aka Rec. 4 looks to be dead.

I'd forgotten what a nasty clam Rick hits near the beginning of David's guitar solo in Breathe. I'm guessing they removed it with spectral editing, since it appears to be 1974-11-16 throughout that bit.
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-12-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I can connect now!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,619 Times in 41 Posts

So they apparently missed recording the Jimmy Young intro at the start of the shows both nights?
    Wonder why they weren't able to reproduce that in post? Could they have lost their 'cut into little pieces' master tape along the way?

I still think these are among the worst low energy Pink Floyd performances I've ever heard. Not good when my favorite part of the show was the taped intro!

Thanks
    Thanked 23,509 Times in 291 Posts

You're getting me distracted on how I can potentially improve on the audience sources now.... stay focused neonknight, stay focused

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    You're getting me distracted on how I can potentially improve on the audience sources now.... stay focused neonknight, stay focused
    No! Don't! Just follow your heart!!

Best, Nils

Thanks
    Thanked 23,509 Times in 291 Posts

One of the tapes I have is a stereo rebroadcast from 1982 introduced by Tommy Vance, where he talks about Echoes never being cleared for broadcast at the end and how people should go to see The Wall film. Nice warm analogue sound - I think it must have been recorded on reel to reel. He also refers to the "Pink Floyd vault" which apparently contained a pictorial record of nearly every Pink Floyd concert. "Each piece of film or video tape is card indexed." We wish!