Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This The Life We Really Want?

Thanks

at about the 1:26 mark into "smell the roses" there's a progression on the guitar that is identical to one in my morning jacket's "victory dance." (it's the "setting sun" part near the end of "victory dance.") i wonder if roger unconsciously nicked it, when he was hanging with jim and the gang, or if it's there on purpose as a nod to mmj?

this song might grow on me, when i hear it in better quality (or live), i don't know. the vocals do seem to be a bit buried, which is unusual for roger...

Thanks

listened a second time, definitely sounds like a "dogs/have a cigar" inspired classic rock tune. not in a bad way, necessarily, as long as the rest of the album doesn't follow suit.

maybe this song was purposefully written and played this way, to get some airplay on classic rock stations (something 'amused to death' didn't get)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffers View Post
    ...my morning jacket's "victory dance." ...
    At this time of night, there is so much comedy there in that little phrase, you've got me nearly crying!

But I'm an adult for chrissakes, so let me just give the band a deserved shout out because
    Sometimes I really do love my morning jacket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkaline View Post
    At this time of night, there is so much comedy there in that little phrase, you've got me nearly crying!

But I'm an adult for chrissakes, so let me just give the band a deserved shout out because
    Sometimes I really do love my morning jacket.
    it can be... two things?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkaline View Post
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on this one.
    Too blatantly similar to even call derivative.
    Very very obviously Cigarish underneath.
    In fact, along with the other elements, the ticking, the 'machine', dogs, steps, etc, it seems to me to be a statement that 'these are MY sounds'!
    Maybe that's the point?
    I will state up front that I am biased (because I haven't really liked Roger Waters' solo stuff) but my impression is that he is a bit of a recycler of his own material. So I am not surprised to read this.

Sure he is / was the big lyrical and theatrical ideas man. But the actual tunes, not so much.
    As for the earlier comment about Crystal Clear Brooks being missing, well I suspect no great loss given what I heard of the live versions. But obviously the true Rog fans will feel differently.

Thanks

Roger Waters - Smell the Roses (Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEh7Ip4yvH8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    I will state up front that I am biased (because I haven't really liked Roger Waters' solo stuff) but my impression is that he is a bit of a recycler of his own material. So I am not surprised to read this.

Sure he is / was the big lyrical and theatrical ideas man. But the actual tunes, not so much.
    As for the earlier comment about Crystal Clear Brooks being missing, well I suspect no great loss given what I heard of the live versions. But obviously the true Rog fans will feel differently.
    I'm also not very familiar with much of his solo stuff beyond a few initial listens, but then again I'm more of guitar guy and it's Gilmour with Roger that really works for me. But I must say that Pros and Cons is one of my all-time favorites. Plus, Clapton, playing slide, gives one of his most heartfelt solos ever on that album IMHO... And if this new album gets close to Pros and Cons, or Final Cut, I'll be very happy, indeed.

Thanks

It would be amusing if it was a cynical commentary on all the sampling being done in pop music currently, but I feel like that's giving the song too much credit. The best-of-sound-effects solo in the middle doesn't even feel like part of the song, it's like the song stops and then resumes after, as if it was cut in after the fact.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 39 Posts

Complete pastiche but enjoyable enough and better than anything since KAOS, IMO. At least musically this sounds a bit like Floyd and he isn't singing all the time over it! Is there a Surround release planned yet?

Thanks

It's alright when ole' Rog isn't ''talking'', s'pose I might grow into it..