Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Is This The Life We Really Want?

Thanks

storm

Felix Attagong, thanks for the PM. Apparently your inbox is full

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkaline View Post
    This reminds of an article I read very recently.

I wish I could remember where exactly so I could recommend it, but

Someone studied the issue and found that since the advent of services like Spotify, the average vocal-less intro time in a pop song has gone from (a farily recent) double digit (s) figure to under ten seconds. The theory is that since listeners have multitudes of songs at their fingertips, you must grab them as soon as possible with a vocal-- after all, the vocal is what the average pop listener attaches to.

So on top of the 'loudness wars' we now have an 'attention grabbing war'.

I'm sure most people here, myself included, are very much the exception (I love long intros), but I thought it was an interesting development, and for those of you that suspect that Smell the Roses might be particularly designed for radio play (it IS the first taste of the album after all, and has a distinctly 70s floyd feel), then an earlier vocal may be in the interest of market success.
    i'm an opposite kinda guy, i guess, in that i prefer the music first, then try to get into the lyrical content. if the music is not worth listening to, then why bother? as for current pop trends, this may be why i abandoned "radio" and other such promotional platforms well over a decade ago. i now go out of my way to find new, interesting musical bands, that are less concerned about saying something, and more about creating moods through music (and, indeed, most of my favourite stuff these days is mostly instrumental). i wish everyone would do what steven wilson does, now, make reglular albums, and offer all-instrumental versions of them, as well...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon.q3 View Post
    Not great, but he is obviously reaching for his Floyd roots, which I admire. A nice jam in there at any rate.
    the true test will be if he has any extended instrumental passages on the album. i remember a gilmour quote from some time ago about how an album should be balanced lyrically and musically, and that the instrumentals were a way to help maintain that balance (a practice that he still adheres to with his solo stuff, and which he went against somewhat for 'the division bell,' to that album's detriment). if rog can channel his inner gilmour and put more music on the album, i'll agree that he's trying to regain some of that lost floydian magic ('amused to death' still had a few too many words, but has some excellent musical passages to make up for it)...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meneerjansen View Post
    And wasn't it he who said about AMLoR: "Pretty fair forgery."?

I'm not going to be very popular for what I'm going so write down now .... but I actually like the track. It's like giving a drug to somebody who's addicted and I'm addicted to 70's Floyd. I might even have an excuse to use this smiley now:
    the track is growing on me, too. a pretty fair forgery of his own, indeed! as to that quote, my view of pink floyd is this: david and rick were (mostly) the music, roger was (mostly) the words and conceptual stuff... and nick was the drummer!

but i don't think david (or rick, or nick) ever tried to downplay, or dismiss, roger's input into what made up the floyd, but roger seems to want to make himself out to be "the most floydian of them all." (or the "alpha floyd," perhaps?) which is ridiculous, of course. he gave up being "a floyd," and the others picked up and went on without him, to the best of their abilities (which was good enough for me). and everything they played from the classic lineup was partly theirs, and they had every right to go on playing it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkaline View Post
    Yeah, really funny and interesting too, since we both come from a Floyd base. I'm curious to listen to a few of your favorite Waters' solo tracks to see if we have a similar appreciation for those. It may spark a re-evaluation, or at least an extended re-listen to some of his stuff. Care to recommend a couple?
    Now you've put me on the spot. But since you ask, the first one that comes to mind is The Hero's Return. Yes, it's a cop-out but I really do think of The Final Cut as a Waters solo album; one that just happens to have a couple of other Pink Floyd members guesting. And, as a further cop-out if you count the Ummagumma studio album as four solo works, both of his tracks on that are far more interesting to me than any of his post-70s work.

In that vein, I'm just skimming through his tracks on the Music from the body and thinking those are quite fine, e.g. Sea Shell and Stone. At least he's still singing properly in that era.

Out of the "proper" solo era, the only track that musically interested me was Home off Radio KAOS, probably because both I like sequenced / programmed rhythms in general (from all the non-Floyd I listen to plus) it's actually musically different to most of the stuff he writes.

In the meantime, I've finally got around to listening to Smell The Roses and can see where people are coming from in their comments. Although it's clearly a recycle-fest, I'd rather listen to that than his more ponderous efforts.

I did say I was biased. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts, though the Gilmour + Wright live combination in 2006 probably came closest IMO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    Now you've put me on the spot. But since you ask, ....
    Thanks snagu. Sure, Final Cut is definitely a Waters solo effort, and a favorite, and you're surely right about the synergy that happens between band members. A great band is much more than the sum, eh? I'll take another listen to KAOS.

Like Waters or not, no-one can deny that he's a creative force. He may re-hash but it would be a lesser world without him!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberspace View Post
    OT maybe, but here are some pics I took with Roger and The Wall 2011 in Mannheim. Sweet memories...
    that wall looks so small in there (was it the SAP arena?) happy to have seen it in Düsseldorf in the esprit arena and even bigger, when i saw it outdoors in Wechter where the wall was gi-effing-gantic!
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen......YESSSSSSS

Thanks

One thing I find odd is that Roger has carried the same band for many years, yet none of them appear on the new album. I don't think this will hurt the album overall, in fact the opposite. I think Roger interacting with new blood is probably a good thing. But it leads me to think that very little of this album was composed prior to the sessions with Godrich. It feels like he probably composed a lot of this in the studio. Sort of sucks for guys like Killer, Graham Broad, AF-L, Jon Carin or Harry that they were basically shut out of this process after 25 years.