Thread: Best version of Pet Sounds?

Thanks

Default Best version of Pet Sounds?

I wish to purchase a versione of Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and I was looking for some information about which one's the best. I found a couple of threads at SH forum, but a bit old. Then I found this article which is quite interesting. The article pretty much summarizes all with these lines:

From my way of listening, I'd say that any self-respecting Pet Sounds lover will want to own an original mono LP and the HDtracks 24/192 version. The latter sounds beautiful, rich, billowy, sweet, with just enough resolution to draw you into the finer musical points without being too pointed. Stunning, really.

Any advice? Is the HDTracks version the same as what can be found in the Blu Ray? Is there any recent version of the original mono mix, without hunting for very expensive vintage copies?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks

I just scored a nm/nm mono first press for $30 about a month ago. AMAZING!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,989 Times in 46 Posts

Are you looking only for vinyl?

You have three sources of best Mono transfer on CD: Hoffman DCC from 1992, Hoffman AF (AFZ 031) (both are OOP and expensive) or the new Acoustic Sounds SACD of Mono/Stereo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,972 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falbrav View Post
    I wish to purchase a versione of Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and I was looking for some information about which one's the best. I found a couple of threads at SH forum, but a bit old. Then I found this article which is quite interesting. The article pretty much summarizes all with these lines:

From my way of listening, I'd say that any self-respecting Pet Sounds lover will want to own an original mono LP and the HDtracks 24/192 version. The latter sounds beautiful, rich, billowy, sweet, with just enough resolution to draw you into the finer musical points without being too pointed. Stunning, really.

Any advice? Is the HDTracks version the same as what can be found in the Blu Ray? Is there any recent version of the original mono mix, without hunting for very expensive vintage copies?

Thanks a lot.
    I don't know if the HDtracks copy is a clone of the bluray disc or not. I have the bluray.
    Now, I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan with all their albums and any complete knowledge of what are the intact copies vs. the cheap stepped on copies, etc etc.
    I believe that among those who debate such things that the mono master on the bluray is a true flat transfer from the master tape and not stepped on. I've read complaints about every other release save the original vinyl and the bluray.

So... I thought I better have a copy of this one (and I do enjoy a lot of the songs!) and the bluray seemed like the choice. It also includes a remix from the multitracks in 5.1. They had limitations to work with. Multiple vocal tracks of course but then 1960's style mono submixes of drums/instruments. It sounded like it was done with care and respect to the original by someone in tune with the music.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    I don't know if the HDtracks copy is a clone of the bluray disc or not. I have the bluray.
    Now, I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan with all their albums and any complete knowledge of what are the intact copies vs. the cheap stepped on copies, etc etc.
    I believe that among those who debate such things that the mono master on the bluray is a true flat transfer from the master tape and not stepped on. I've read complaints about every other release save the original vinyl and the bluray.

So... I thought I better have a copy of this one (and I do enjoy a lot of the songs!) and the bluray seemed like the choice. It also includes a remix from the multitracks in 5.1. They had limitations to work with. Multiple vocal tracks of course but then 1960's style mono submixes of drums/instruments. It sounded like it was done with care and respect to the original by someone in tune with the music.
    Thanks JFE. So the bluray includes 5.1, stereo and mono mixes? Or did it exclude one between mono and stereo? I believe that there would be plenty of space for all, so I hope that it would include all, it would definitly be the one to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hallucalation View Post
    Are you looking only for vinyl?

You have three sources of best Mono transfer on CD: Hoffman DCC from 1992, Hoffman AF (AFZ 031) (both are OOP and expensive) or the new Acoustic Sounds SACD of Mono/Stereo.
    No, not only vinyl, the contrary is true rather. I would go for a vinyl only if it turned out to be the only way to listen to a proper version of the original mono mix. Based on what I am reading, it looks like one amongst blu-ray, FLACS or this SACD (thanks for the tip) would do the job.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falbrav View Post
    Thanks JFE. So the bluray includes 5.1, stereo and mono mixes? Or did it exclude one between mono and stereo? I believe that there would be plenty of space for all, so I hope that it would include all, it would definitly be the one to go.
    The BluRay has all three mixes along with a stereo instrumental mix. I recommend it.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    The BluRay has all three mixes along with a stereo instrumental mix. I recommend it.
    Wow. Thanks, will definitely grab it.

Thanks

The Blu Ray seems to be unavailable, anywhere. But of course the damn big box which also includes 4 CeeDees can be found!