Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "The Wall" as a triple album

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aguycalledm View Post
    "No songs were taken off The Wall and later put on The Final Cut. Just pieces of music, ideas, lyrics, and themes made the transition from one to the other. "

We know the track listing for Bricks In The Wall. It sounds like most of the mythical leftovers were more like various stages of song fragments and ideas. I think Possible Pasts was one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielcaux View Post
    Does Vernon's Final Cut book mention which songs were written for The Wall movie soundtrack? Gilmour says Your Possible Pasts, One of The Few, The Hero's Return and The Final Cut were Wall leftovers, but apart from Teacher Teacher there aren't any traces of those songs on any of the productions demos or recording logs for the album. So, my personal theory is that if those songs were indeed leftovers from The Wall, they probably were leftovers from phase 3 of The Wall: the movie, not the actual album. That's probably why Gilmour remembers the songs being around before work on TFC album began.
    "We sort of got... stuck into making this album," Gilmour says candidly. (A soundtrack for The Wall was owed, and PinkFloyd substituted the Cut album.) "So we wound up doing some new songs. They are related to the story of The Wall." "The Post War Dream," "Your Possible Pasts," "The Hero's Return," "The Fletcher Memorial Home" and the title song were all on hand; but revised and collected, they suggested the possibility of a whole new project."
    The Final Cut is often rumored to have been considered to close out The Wall. I think it was probably in the same stage of development as Possible Pasts. I can't confirm it yet, so I'm wondering if this is just one of those things that got said once and has just kind been accepted as fact ever since. At one point, they already had a lot of stuff closing The Wall after The Trial -- Outside The Wall + Never Too Late + Instrumental theme from The Thin Ice. If you added Final Cut to that, that would make Side 4 nothing but conclusions. I like how The Wall closes now -- the quiet cycle of Outside The Wall.
    Interesting to note, my mind instantly connected the melody and rhythmic syncopation of the lyrical verses of The Final Cut (i.e., "Through the fish-eyed lens of tear-stained eyes...") to the clarinet melody apparent on Outside The Wall.

If you transpose it from C to F, it becomes apparent that Roger was working on similar melodious themes and motifs during production of The Wall album, much akin to his borrowing of his own ideas found in future Pros & Cons track 4:58am Dunroamin' Duncarin' Dunlivin' for In The Flesh?. So it may not even be a mere coincidence that the melodies and ideas for the song The Final Cut, although highly probable to be incomplete in 1978-9, could be viewed as an idea birthed around the time of the writing and producing of The Wall.

An amazing notion to consider that such a song as The Final Cut was rumoured for closing The Wall. It's beyond dark, brooding and bleak; Pink searches for redemption through an act of desperation, delivered from which was borne from a simple telephone call (not the first time a telephone is referenced on The Wall). Did the wall even come down? Isn't this where we came in? And who? The cyclical re-birth of life? The Funny Farm in Chalfont? The surrogate band? Ma? Who called??

I am also intrigued about the song The Thin Ice being considered early on as a repeating motif throughout the album's narrative. It almost has that surreal, Syd Barrett-type Technicolor-meets-nursery-rhyme melancholy summer feeling (before the dark part sets in), reflecting in some form of warm nostalgia. It certainly would have lent something interesting to the album had they decided on repeating this themed piece of music.

Interesting thread M, thanks for starting a great discussion! It is certainly something of merit to deliberate over, even if just for enthused creative conversation. : -)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut Shaft View Post
    Interesting thread M, thanks for starting a great discussion! It is certainly something of merit to deliberate over, even if just for enthused creative conversation. : -)
    I can't take credit for the thread. Someone named @SurrogateMember started it here (and elsewhere). But, thank you. When the hits started piling up on my website, I just followed the referrals back to insure that I'm part of the discussion.

But everyone in this forum and thread have been awesome and this truly has been an outstanding and enlightening discussion of a topic that inherently has great potential to go south.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut Shaft View Post
    An amazing notion to consider that such a song as The Final Cut was rumoured for closing The Wall. It's beyond dark, brooding and bleak; Pink searches for redemption through an act of desperation, delivered from which was borne from a simple telephone call (not the first time a telephone is referenced on The Wall). Did the wall even come down? Isn't this where we came in? And who? The cyclical re-birth of life? The Funny Farm in Chalfont? The surrogate band? Ma? Who called??
    I like how The Wall ends now with 'Outside The Wall'. It ends the album on a quiet, positive-ish note. I agree. Winding down the album with 'The Final Cut' (as great a song it is) would have been beyond bleak.

At one point around the first band demo, 'The Thin Ice' would have bookended (sort of) the album. Not really a full-blown repeating motif like the the Bricks Main Theme, but another recurring musical theme nonetheless.

Thanks

This is really an interresting thread!
    I like reading all these stories about The Wall and The Final Cut. It's great to gain even more knowledge about that era. I remember the first time I listened to my dads TFC vinyl when I was still discovering the band, I immediately thought it had a Wall-ish feel to it. But I had no idea that the stories was somewhat connected and that the teacher was also present on TFC. When english is not your main language it can be hard to understand the meaning of lyrics (I'm danish btw).
    I also clearly remember the first time I got hold of a copy of The Wall demos in 2001, I was blown away of how great some of the early takes was. I mean they have a totally different feel to them, and to my ears sound much more like the earlier Pink Floyd , and to this day I like some of those demos a lot more than the final versions And when the Wall Immersion box came out with even more demos, a whole lot of them actually (some of them being huge upgrades of the ones we had before) you could really hear how the album could have sounded if it had not been edited. The piano solo in The This Ice is so beautiful (is it Rick??) and the extended themes are great and would have made the whole album flow much better IMHO. There are also the alternate versions of Young Lust and Comfortably Numb (I think I can count 4 different versions of CN each with different lyrics).
    I don't by any means dislike The Wall as it is now, but it does feel a bit rough and lacks much of the classic Floyd sound. Again the demos clearly show that the album had the potential of sounding much more Floyd'ish. Of course this is totally my opinion.
    I have a feeling that if this project will be finished and The Wall becomes a 3-disc epic, it will indeed get a much better flow and sound much more like 'it should have'.
    I'm really happy that you guys are doing such a great research and putting so much work into creating this.
    I can't wait to hear the final result