Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Nick Sedgwick "in the Pink"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R37R0 View Post
    I guess this might be on the Roger Waters website version
    No, not on the Waters website version either. (The book was not in the V&A shop when I was there, so I ordered it online from the Waters webshop).

Sedgwick seems very fond of komma's, so a five line sentence is no exception, but it's an interesting read and to me he seems to be the first one to describe Barrett as a real person, rather than some demigod. Lots of interesting photo's I'd never seen before and I like Waters' notes all over the photos and in the margins. Well worth the money, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Lizzy; 08-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

Its also available from the V&A shop now:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/shop/in-the-pi...ir-151133.html

The shipping costs as much as the book for us outside the British isles.

Thanks

It's says on page 207 that Arthur Max filmed the concert at Stoke, but also says RW and Rick W saying we shouldn't sacrifice the light for the sake of filming the event.
    If recorded will this ever see the light of day, it's sounds like the group parted company with Arthur Max not good. This footage could be under his bed I hope.

Thanks

Default RW Notations

Not sure if this was covered explicitly, but one of the highlights of the book is that there are various markups and notations throughout in a manner I had not seen before in a published book. Here (by way of example) is one of Waters commenting that he didn't recall the event and that "isnt' memory a wonderfully flexible tool?" Comments such as these throughout add to the depth of the text to keep it interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default In The Pink

Quote Originally Posted by azerty View Post
    Hi all,
    someone could give us a first review of the Nick Sedgwick's book finally published and currently sold on the Pink Floyd Exhibition shop ?
    Just to confirm that this book is available (20) at the V & A Mortal Remains exhibition in the shop. The super deluxe version hinted at by Roger Waters is not yet available.

Thanks

Default Customs Charge

My copy just arrived, which I ordered from the Roger Waters store prior to it being available from the V&A online store. Because it was shipped from the U.S. to the U.K. it occurred a 5.40 customs charge along with an 8 Royal Mail handling charge. So all in all an expensive purchase.

Thanks

Default Roger's Friend Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by azerty View Post
    Hi all,
    someone could give us a first review of the Nick Sedgwick's book finally published and currently sold on the Pink Floyd Exhibition shop ?
    I'd like to say a few things about Nick Sedgwick's book here, as I try to find an appropriate place for a full-blown review. The book has an interesting architecture, bracketing a diary-like description of events following the band around their "Dark-side" concert tour of the UK, are a series of chapters centered on an extended vacation in Greece with Roger and Judy and a postscript about how the diary preview was received by the band members. It does all fit together, but I find Nick's writing style a bit meandering. I can understand why the Floyd was divided on the diary - it really was more about Roger in the context of Floyd, rather than about Floyd in general. It's easy to see why David and Rick felt rather attacked by it. And beyond that, I really have basic trouble feeling like Nick was even comfortable as a writer - at least in this venture. I can understand why he chose to distance himself from the whole project/band after their less-than-stellar response. It's possible that Nick was being quite truthful when he talked about his delay in deciding what he wanted to do with his life. He seemed to be letting life take its course, rather than forging his future. That said, I got quite a bit out of the read, not the least of which is the impression that Roger cared - and still cares - about the world and his craft. Taken in the context of the recent tour, the new record (which I find to be brilliant), and events in general, that he (Roger) wanted to share this wart-filled expose' just confirms to me that people are important to him. I really connect the Roger Waters of the late 60's / Early 70's with the man I see now on stage and in the studio, trying to help us see how together we can make this world a better place. If we can sit down together and hash out our differences in vision and air our grievances without fear of retribution, there is a chance that peace may come. I see all this reading Nick's words. I'm sad that time does have its way with us, and Nick's description of he and Rick Wright sitting in the back of a limo trying to talk was particularly poignant on that part, since both have now passed on. No one but the reader is left to wonder if things could have been worked out that day. If you count yourself among those who feel like Roger has tapped into something a little greater than all of us, you'll want to read this book.Roger's

[Correction by TJ]

England is only one part of the UK. England is not the whole of the UK, nor is it even the whole of Britain.

But, of course, you knew that.

Thanks

Just finished this: it's an excellent read, I think most of us will enjoy the second half a little more than the first. I didn't find the band members coming out particularly bad but mostly unmotivated and disgruntled throughout.

1974 remains their worst year IMHO, too bad we can't get a hold of the 1974-11-29 recording though! Sounds like a real barnburner.
    --
    Regards,
    PL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    Just finished this: it's an excellent read, I think most of us will enjoy the second half a little more than the first. I didn't find the band members coming out particularly bad but mostly unmotivated and disgruntled throughout.

1974 remains their worst year IMHO, too bad we can't get a hold of the 1974-11-29 recording though! Sounds like a real barnburner.
    Well that scuttles my excitement in seeing the 29th on the tracker, but I see now it was mislabeled and is the 28th. Sedgwick's quote from Roger as the set concludes that the band "got it on" sent me flying to the tracker. The very constructive meeting after the 28th show that Sedgwick details so well (was a tape running at the table?) seems to have given the band some new vigor, along with the crew shake up and sound tweaking. So I guess this will be the elusive "11th show of the tour" that Roger seems to think was spot on.

Very enjoyable book, sort of two books in one, a summer in Greece (and more) and then the tour. Highly recommend the book seeing as we're all Floyd hardcores here, might not be a good read for anyone not so interested as we are. A nice look "inside" the band and especially Roger.

If ever there was a reason to see what's in the "vault" and if the reels were spinning, this would be a good excuse for their archivist (Nick M?) to start digging. A show that hasn't been heard since the night they played it, one which they felt was a good one on all levels.
    ....we came in.....
    ...isn't this where...

Thanks

I jumped to the second half of the book. I like reading about how they arrived separately before the show, the moods, the discussion, the atmosphere in the band room before and after the show etc. It was really well written and makes you feel party to those discussions.