Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New video of Pink Floyd performing Astronomy Domine on KQED Tv 1970

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    Nice find. I take this at face value, just a great discovery which was shared publicly for all to see. Like the glass is half full instead of half empty. People just like to think in terms of conspiracy theories, you see it everywhere around you.
    It seems to me that these SMALL income of rare materials preserve our demanding hearts

Thanks for mandog23 and buffalofloyd for the find and torrent seeding

I'm out of words
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19326AqZOE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2CFC7NNgZ4

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

Thanks

This is a cool treat. One of my favorite Floyd sequences ever is the Grantchester Meadows-->Astronomy Domine transition in the Fillmore show, so it's really cool to get AD from the KQED set too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abronsius View Post
    It's even higher in resolution than a DVD which makes me think that they have the whole video in a higher resolution than DVD (what could be by the way the maximum standard at the time (early 70's) for video ? (since it's clearly not argentic). Of course they could upscale it.
    The KQED article says "Farber recently oversaw a meticulous transfer from the two-inch masters to DVD", so the original is two-inch quad: NTSC resolution, but substantially better quality than DVD. The video on the KQED site has been upscaled. (Given the low bitrate the video has been encoded at and the resulting artefacts, I think they would have done better to leave it at the original resolution...)

A related question would be what cameras were being used - you can see one behind Rick in a few places. It's clear from the new video that the alignment/geometry of the R/G/B pick-up tubes isn't particularly good on any of the cameras, so there's quite a bit of coloured fringing around objects (particularly obvious around the dark pickguard on Roger's white bass) -- I guess you could improve this a bit these days by doing geometry correction on each of the channels separately...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chorale View Post
    The KQED article says "Farber recently oversaw a meticulous transfer from the two-inch masters to DVD", so the original is two-inch quad: NTSC resolution, but substantially better quality than DVD. The video on the KQED site has been upscaled. (Given the low bitrate the video has been encoded at and the resulting artefacts, I think they would have done better to leave it at the original resolution...)

A related question would be what cameras were being used - you can see one behind Rick in a few places. It's clear from the new video that the alignment/geometry of the R/G/B pick-up tubes isn't particularly good on any of the cameras, so there's quite a bit of coloured fringing around objects (particularly obvious around the dark pickguard on Roger's white bass) -- I guess you could improve this a bit these days by doing geometry correction on each of the channels separately...
    A full restoration of the entire 90 minute raw footage and the audio would be amazing, and then release it on DVD/Blu-ray and maybe add some interviews with the production team and of course Roger, Nick and David.
    That would be the perfect way to do it, but I know that will not happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chorale View Post
    The KQED article says "Farber recently oversaw a meticulous transfer from the two-inch masters to DVD".
    I don't know how you arrived at this conclusion, but I worked with Quadruplex 2" videotape back in the day and the resolution wasn't even full NTSC SD (720 lines across). It was only 525 so no, it's not better than DVD, it's worse. Anything on DVD or Blu-ray from this format is up-rezed.

Thanks

It was great to get some clear footage of how Rick was manipulating that Binson Echorec and to see his Farfisa tab settings. I wish I had the skill to merge this in with the KQED footage in my box set.

Thanks

So, out of the unseen footage, only AD has been now released via torrents?
    What else would there be in the archives of this KQED-footage?

Thanks

There are another 30 minutes of additional footages.
    Perhaps Interstellar Overdrive, or/and A Saucerful of Secrets, or/and The Embryo, or/and Fat Old Sun.........who knows?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heartofthesun View Post
    There are another 30 minutes of additional footages.
    Perhaps Interstellar Overdrive, or/and A Saucerful of Secrets, or/and The Embryo, or/and Fat Old Sun.........who knows?
    Yep, have to wait and see if and when we will somehows receive the further footage.
    Too bad this wasn't released on the Early Years-boxset or the individual volumes..