Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pink Floyd Book Explores Journey to DSOTM

Thanks

storm New Pink Floyd Book Explores Journey to DSOTM

rpf_cover.jpgHello -- I am hoping it's ok to toot one's own horn here when it's PF-related...

I’d like to let Yeeshkul! readers know about the upcoming release of my book, Reinventing Pink Floyd: From Syd Barrett to The Dark Side of the Moon. The book will be published February 15 by Rowman & Littlefield. It’s currently available for pre-order on Amazon, but buying direct from the publisher instead (http://reinventingpinkfloyd.com/rpf_preorder_form.pdf) saves 30% off the list price. Below is the text of a press release with more information.

www.reinventingpinkfloyd.com

-----------------------

band2.jpgRowman & Littlefield is proud to be publishing Bill Kopp’s new book Reinventing Pink Floyd: From Syd Barrett to the Dark Side of the Moon.

“Knowledgeable, well-informed, conscientious, and sensitive. Bill has written about what really matters. Bill’s book is a great read, and well worth the price of admission.”— Jerry Shirley, drummer for Humble Pie

“Bill Kopp's excellent analysis of Pink Floyd's post-Syd, pre-arenas era performs a valuable service to the Floyd canon.”— Joel McIver, bestselling rock author

“Combining research into their classic albums and a wealth of little-known and unofficial recordings with astute and entertaining analysis, Kopp generates fresh insight into Pink Floyd’s formative years. Even longtime fans of the band will be surprised and enlightened.”— Richie Unterberger, author of Unknown Legends of Rock’n’Roll

In celebration of the 45th anniversary of The Dark Side of the Moon, Bill Kopp explores ingenuity with which Pink Floyd rebranded themselves following the 1968 departure of Syd Barrett. Not only did the band survive Barrett’s departure, but it went on to release landmark albums that continue to influence generations of musicians and fans.

Reinventing Pink Floyd follows the path taken by the remaining band members to establish a musical identity, develop a songwriting style, and create a new template for the manner in which albums are made and even enjoyed by listeners. As veteran music journalist Bill Kopp illustrates, that path was filled with failed experiments, creative blind alleys, one-off musical excursions, abortive collaborations, a general restlessness and—most importantly—a dedicated search for a distinctive musical personality.

This exciting volume guides readers through the works of 1968 through 1973, highlighting key innovations and musical breakthroughs of lasting influence. Kopp places Pink Floyd into their historical, cultural, and musical contexts while celebrating the test of fire that took the band from the brink of demise to enduring superstardom.

Bill Kopp is a lifelong music enthusiast, musician, collector, and music journalist. His writing has been featured in music magazines including Bass Guitar, Record Collector, Prog and Shindig! (all in Great Britain), as well as Billboard, Electronic Musician, Goldmine, Trouser Press, Ugly Things and more than a dozen alternative weekly newspapers. He is the Jazz Desk Editor and Prog Editor at BLURT online, and has written liner note essays for 20 albums, including titles by Julian “Cannonball” Adderley, Larry Coryell, Edgar Winter, Rick Wakeman, The Ventures, Dave Mason and Iron Butterfly. He has interviewed several hundred musicians and music industry figures of note, and his musoscribe.com blog has features thousands of music reviews, essays, interviews and features.

Thanks

Thanks for posting it here! This looks to be an interesting read. I haven't had any interest in any Pink Floyd related books in a long time mostly because the books are all pretty much the same and just cover the same stuff over and over. That format: "Syd used LSD a bunch, Dark Side of the Wow it's Timeless, Roger spits on guy, The Wall oh boy Comfortably Numb, Roger Quits and "The Big Angry", Floyd into eternity, and "The Big Angry - Reprise."

Thanks for covering in depth a period of the band's history that is not common knowledge to most people. I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks

Wow, Mr. Kopp! That is a work someone should have tackled a long time ago and I am very glad someone finally did, and with the competence to boot, so that we can be sure it was done properly! Thanks for that and also for coming here to talk to us.

This being my favourite Floyd period, and perhaps of the majority here, I am sure it will be a success among us enthusiasts. I, for one, welcome this as terrific news and am already waiting for it to come out.

Thanks

Just to make it easier for folks like me, here's the Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-P.../dp/1538108275
    This is my favorite period for the band, so it looks like I'll be pre-ordering one for myself.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Looks very intertesting.
    I will surely get me a copy.
    Thank you very much!

Thanks

Default Hello Bill

This does look interesting & released on my birthday, Thanks for the info I might have to pre-order one for a gift to myself
    Rex

Thanks

Looks cool! Definitely my favorite period.

Are there any interviews with people close to the band at that time?
    --
    Regards,
    PL

at home in wolverhampton u.k or in a tent up a mountain or sumsuch.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post

Check the Amazon link above...it lists the interviewees.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post

Yes indeed, though still not as many as I'd have liked. I conducted extensive interviews with Ron Geesin; Jerry Shirley (who played on both of Syd's albums), John "Willie" Wilson (ditto), and I also spoke at length with members of tribute bands The Machine and The Australian Pink Floyd. Syd superfan Robyn Hitchcock weighed in with his always-quotable thoughts. Yogi Lang of German band RPWL (who got their start as a Floyd tribute) had a lot to say about "The Man and the Journey," which I cover in an entire chapter. And I interviewed two guitarists who were both asked to fill in onstage for a missing Syd: Davy O'List of the Nice (who did indeed) and Tomorrow's Steve how (who almost did). I chatted with some music journalists and others who saw the band live onstage during the pre-arenas era.

And toward the end of my research I was able to prevail upon Peter Jenner to have a conversation with me.

Jerry Shirley (drummer from Humble Pie) was kind enough to write the book's foreword.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Just to make it easier for folks like me, here's the Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-P.../dp/1538108275
    This is my favorite period for the band, so it looks like I'll be pre-ordering one for myself.
    Thank you! Do note that buying through Amazon means full price. Direct from the publisher via pre-prder saves 30% (which means a few cents less in my pocket in the end, but no sane writer does it for the money!)