Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New Pink Floyd Book Explores Journey to DSOTM

Thanks

I just ordered the Kindle version.
    Also, Craig Bailey gave this book a shout-out on his weekly radio show "Floydian Slip" last night, so he deserves a bit of thanks if you should feel so moved to contact him at his website.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Felix Atagong View Post
    I tried buying a digital copy (with promotion code) at the website, as I do find the book pretty expensive.
    First I had to register at Rowman, before I had even the possibility (apparently) to add the book to a cart.
    I reluctantly did this.
    Then I luckily (and just in time) read that you need an Adobe ID code to even be able to read the book, so frankly,
    <insert Pink Floyd Not Now John lyric here>.
    I take it you don't do Kindle?
    Even if you don't have a Kindle device, you'll be happy to know that you can still read any Kindle book that you order on Amazon directly through their site in your web browser...no special software or hardware required.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

in my german online bookstore the epub version is available - unfortunately for over 30.- euros, more than the actual print edition if you can believe that. seems that publishers are as ignorant to the digital world still as the music labels were in the beginning (and often still are)...
    i'll have to wait for a paperback version hopefully to be released later on i guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,190 Times in 47 Posts

Sorry to ruin the party but i just browsed Amazon previews regarding 1967. Some strange errors there:

1) There was never any session on 23 January 1967 for Arnold Layne. That was on 29 January
    2) Rubber Soul came out on 3rd December 1965, not in 1966
    3) "But mere days before The Piper sessions began at Abbey Road Studios, Smith oversaw the recording of "See Emily Day"..". Piper was 90% done by that time!
    4) Gilmour never played with Floyd in 1967. Period. His debut was in January 68..

That was just from 4 pages i have seen via Amazon. Possibly there's lots of more..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hallucalation View Post
    Sorry to ruin the party but i just browsed Amazon previews regarding 1967. Some strange errors there:
    4) Gilmour never played with Floyd in 1967. Period. His debut was in January 68..
    There is the rumour he joined the Floyd on the 2nd of December 1967, for a one off show.

Thanks

There is the rumour he joined the Floyd on the 2nd of December 1967, for a one off show.
    Rumour without any evidence for it. He never mentioned it any interviews. He was just approached by Mason around Nov/December if he is ready to join band at some point. Only David O'List joined Floyd for one show

Thanks

More errors:

1) Floyd didn't start recording Saucerful in late October 67 (Page 15), they already started to record it on 7-8 August with recording of Scream and Controls... Apples & Oranges was not initial session for that album.
    2) On Page 19 it was mentioned that Lon Goddard saw the band in Middle Earth in 1966. That club didn't opened until late July (or possibly August) 67. Before that it was called Electric Garden which again didn't opened until May 67
    3) Jenner saw the band in late may 66 or even latter. Sans their reply to him: "See ya after summer break". Not March 66 as suggested
    4) They recorded Reaction In G in studio despite author mentioned that they not (15-16 August, Sound Techniques) and despite audio fragment of it circulating.
    5) Set The Controls was already recorded in the studio (sans various overdubs) before they have played it in Stockholm. And contrary to author's claims, Syd is appearing on LP version. ("His rapid mental decline resulted in greatly diminished participation in Saucerful sessions...")
    6) EMI never vetoed Scream as single (Page 36). It simply wasn't finished even by time of December/January 68 overdubs sessions at EMI. Of course that song was become useless after Syd was left so...
    Last edited by hallucalation; 2018-03-13 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks

Well, I've finally read the book and you can find my review at the Church.

Thanks

Just read it. Thanks. Story of Steve Howe asked to appear for the Syd first surfaced in booklet for Steve's "Mothballs" CD which collected his early work with Syndicats, Bodast & Tomorrow

https://www.discogs.com/Steve-Howe-M.../master/382481

I also talked with Chris about Committee opening music and we are both pretty sure that this has nothing to do with Syd (Jenner hired bass & drums players for that session after Syd request).

I had read book and cringed almost on every page.

I hope one day the definitive book about Syd & early Floyd will came out. Definitive like Mark Lewisohn books. Some friends of my are actually working on it
    Last edited by hallucalation; 2018-04-22 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 28,821 Times in 356 Posts

I haven't read the book but it seems like a very fair review.