Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franka Wright Book

Thanks

gonna leave this here:
    https://www.lesoleilfoundation.com/i...id=88:opinions
    she (was) a very pretty girl, but somehow bonkers...
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds - PF
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf - RW
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle - RW
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen - DG
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen - DG
    2018.09.08, Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen - NM
    2021.05.19, Messe+Congress Centrum Halle, Münster - NM......YESSSSSSS

Thanks

It seems to me that she's more interested in writing something about Rick's (and her) relationship with Greece - which seems like a nice idea.

As for the "exposè" element, she only seems to mention the miscarriage during the tour, which must have been truly horrendous. The contrast between the personal trauma and the joy of the fans each night... well, I cannot imagine.

Not sure she's the greatest writer on earth, but I'd certainly read her memoirs. Heck, I might even learn something about Greece along the way.

What is interesting is how strained the relationship appeared to be with David. The more I read about 'The Wall' and all its backstory - I cannot help but think that it is very much the album that destroyed the band. Inside and out. Nick Mason seems to imply that Rick was quite at ease with being kicked out and then re-hired (but not officially part of the band) but I'm really starting to question this. I suspect he may have had other things to say... or perhaps never told them - but did tell his wife.

You have to wonder how different things would have been if The Wall had never existed as a project. The irony, to me, is that while The Wall was about this division between artists and fans - the reality is that the shows got bigger (more fans) but the wall came up not on stage, but behind the scenes, between the band members themselves. They all seemed to have their reasons for arguing with each other - all of them except for Rick. He was, apparently, booted out of the band because he wanted to produce but the others (Waters specifically) thought he wasn't earning his wage - because he wasn't doing very much in this new role. If we accept this on face value then it could be argued they kicked him out because he was potentially earning more money.

Didn't they have enough money? it seems that it's then that they put a price on friendship.

Even the Syd story - from reading Nick's book - isn't anywhere near as black and white. There are at least two references where Nick chastises himself and the others for essentially treating him like crap for their own benefit. It seems that it was less about the drugs and more about their own personal ambitions - and to hell with anyone that got in their way. He states this quite clearly.

Anyone up for a Pink Floyd soap opera?
    Last edited by montymole; 2022-07-05 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montymole View Post
    Didn't they have enough money? it seems that it's then that they put a price on friendship.
    Isn't this about the time they got swindled out of most of their fortunes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Isn't this about the time they got swindled out of most of their fortunes?
    Yep. They had to leave the UK for a year, or face bankruptcy. That's when Gilmour said he decided he had to get involved with their finances going forward because he no longer trusted the person/people handling it. It was not the first time they had gotten screwed over.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montymole View Post
    Nick Mason seems to imply that Rick was quite at ease with being kicked out and then re-hired (but not officially part of the band) but I'm really starting to question this.
    I doubt it was easy for him before it happened. I'm sure the tension with the situation was nutty, but I think the ease probably came came after the deal was done and he knew he was still going to finish the album and do the tour.

I think Rick has said a couple of times that he was the only one of the four who made any money on that tour, because he was paid a salary and the others were invested and took a loss.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks

Yup, he's the only one who earned any money from The Wall tour because all the others had to put in their own money - and I'm guessing the tour either broke even or was a financial loss?

I think they were swindled in part - but they also made some insane decisions. In order to avoid taxes, some time in the mid-1970s they set up loads of different companies, ranging from early skateboards to some sort of early handheld electronic gaming device. Quite a few are listed in Nick Mason't excellent biog - and it's quite an eclectic list. I think a chunk of money was also stolen by their money man (who was then arrested years later, possibly?)

Has anyone ever identified these failed Floydian endeavours? I do wonder if there must be some adverts for some of these products? Maybe?
    Last edited by montymole; 2022-07-06 at 06:10 PM.