Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Approaching surround sound. Where to start? What to avoid.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,867 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottbtdmb View Post
    I took your advice and dove into that Denon message forum this morning, and I found a solution! It is bizarre, but it works! Someone recommended plugging the Thunderbolt/HDMI into an HDMI Switch, and then plugging that into the receiver. I happened to have a HDMI Switch for my upstairs entertainment unit, and I'll be damned if it didn't work immediately after hooking everything up with the Switch. I am now once again able to listen to these awesome shows in quad downstairs in the "man cave". Again, it is a bizarre solution, and still doesn't get to the root of the original problem, but I'll take it!

Thanks man,

Scott
    Hey, what do you know, I inadvertently helped somebody!!! I'm glad it worked out and I hope you get to the real root of that problem. I've been over there for at least 10 years and that forum is great for almost everything electronic. It's also great place to ask questions and seek advice, which you've obviously seen for yourself. My guess is that it is some sort of handshake issue.

Small rant coming...

I've never used Thunderboldt before and I recently got my first USB-C device, a Google Pixel 2. I still don't see that many devices out there even utilizing USB-C yet, let alone Thunderboldt aside from some Mac stuff. This might be a topic for another thread but I'll say this, they body that is in charge of USB standards and their naming schemes should all be fired. I don't understand why naming conventions in electronics has to be so confusing, HDMI is no better either, the computer industry is horrible as well. There's all these HDMI revisions, different speed cables. I see a million questions like will my current HDMI cable using HDMI 1.4 (not to mention there is HDMI1.4a and 1.4b, oh yay!) work with HDMI 2.0 port? Then a million different answers all contradicting each other. If you're really in the know and you're on top of all this stuff, you probably aren't too confused, but the average consumer? I try to follow all this stuff the best I can but even I get confused. I had to actually look up what Thundeboldt was, I had a vague idea it was Apple related but I guess it was devoloped by Apple and Intel. Then I come to find out it comes in 3 flavours, the latest one being Thunderboldt 3 apparently uses the same connection as USB-C devices, but T3 is faster and some devices are compatible with some cables but not with others but sometimes only at certain speeds and OH MY GOD!!!! STOP, I WANNA GO HOME!!!

Sorry, my brain just got a BSOD. Not enough coffee today
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,832 Times in 54 Posts

The fact that it worked originally speaks to the switch being a red hearing. The root cause is probably a power up sequence thing and/or a setting. Made up example: Maybe the HDMI input has to be selected first and THEN you can plug it into the Mac. You get that style of behavior between different computerized devices. It's worth poking around until you find the pattern. Oh, and the manuals are good to check on the off chance such tips are offered.

Whatever happened scottbtdmb, I'm glad you're listening now!
    Last edited by jimfisheye; Yesterday at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,832 Times in 54 Posts

Default Thunderbolt rant

Heh, yeah the TB3 using USB-C business...
    The idea is everything will simply be a USB-C cable from keyboard to cinema display moving forward.

You kind of want to pay attention to the now two thunderbolt lines in the sand.
    First is the pre vs post thunderbolt machines (circa 2010).
    Second is this new USB-C business.

In the same way you have to watch what you buy for hi-fi components that work together, now you get to do that with computers and accessories too!

Thunderbolt is fast enough to be used for multiple HD displays and other heavy I/O stuff in lieu of pci card connections. All good.
    A moot point if you have a tower with pci connections or don't need such connections.
    Pre TB computers cannot be adapted well (not for full TB I/O anyway).

There are plenty of very powerful pre-TB computers available that do fully modern heavy lifting. But get one TB accessory that you need to rely on and suddenly that computer is obsolete.

I'm still in firewire land myself for everything audio. My laptop has thunderbolt but my 2009 Mac Pro and all my audio interfaces are firewire. The speed is covered with no limitations and it's as reliable as always. I wouldn't buy any USB-C sporting equipment at present myself. But if you're starting from scratch, maybe it's a logical consideration.