Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recording shows on mobile phone help?

Thanks

Default recording shows on mobile phone help?

Hi guys and gals out there i was just wondering if it is possible to record a show by using a mobile phone samsung s8? i have no microphones or anything i can plug in and was wondering if it is possible to do it and also how i would go about getting a good recording and things i would have to do? i am going to see brit floyd the pink floyd tribute show and i am only in row c seat 24+25 3 rows back from stage and supposed to be dead centre according to my tickets were i asked for and was wondering how i could possibley record this show to share with you guys as i am a huge fan of these guys as to me number 1 floyd tribute.also its a concert hall type arena not a stadium its mote of a place for orchestras playing etc but real good sound as seen them play it before so any help would be great and what i could do and sue to help make a recording thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,007 Times in 67 Posts

You would need mics to start with obviously. Recording a concert event with a phone's built-in mic would be more an exercise in recording distortion sounds that had little relationship to the event. (See 500,000 or so of said videos on Youtube for an example.)

You'd need a portable little audio interface with ADC and USB output. And this would have to have drivers to work with the watered down OS that runs on phones. There are products out there nowadays for this. Not nearly the choices for the computer of course. Then you'll need DAW software to record that has a phone version - also available nowadays.

Sorry I don't have specific examples! That's the general outline if you wanted to put together a professional little rig that truly would capture a pair of mics at full fidelity and then not introduce any loss recording it to hard drive (the flash drive in the phone).

There's stuff made for the broadcast industry. Really nice pro quality portable little devices. Your eyebrows go up real high when you see the prices! I haven't researched the consumer market for this recently. There's going to be that element of paying for the portability though or it devolves to the Worst Purchase kind of products which is all just experiments in distortion again.

Maybe there's something "in-between" that can be cobbled? You'll have to experiment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    You would need mics to start with obviously. Recording a concert event with a phone's built-in mic would be more an exercise in recording distortion sounds that had little relationship to the event. (See 500,000 or so of said videos on Youtube for an example.)

You'd need a portable little audio interface with ADC and USB output. And this would have to have drivers to work with the watered down OS that runs on phones. There are products out there nowadays for this. Not nearly the choices for the computer of course. Then you'll need DAW software to record that has a phone version - also available nowadays.

Sorry I don't have specific examples! That's the general outline if you wanted to put together a professional little rig that truly would capture a pair of mics at full fidelity and then not introduce any loss recording it to hard drive (the flash drive in the phone).

There's stuff made for the broadcast industry. Really nice pro quality portable little devices. Your eyebrows go up real high when you see the prices! I haven't researched the consumer market for this recently. There's going to be that element of paying for the portability though or it devolves to the Worst Purchase kind of products which is all just experiments in distortion again.

Maybe there's something "in-between" that can be cobbled? You'll have to experiment.
    Thanks for all the help I am just a novice at this never had any clues about how to do things.i try recording before with phone on it's own sound was quiet good but as say distortion in places and also depending on how good sound is in the arena and position as well help.i will now look into this and see what I can find when I can get some money together.it would be good to capture some shows I get to and share with all back.thanks.

Thanks

we were at a solo acoustic show in a fairly intimate quiet space, and just for fun I used the Tascam Recorder App & just hit record.
    It turned out better than I thought, but still not "quality"
    they sell all kinds of little mics that plug into your phone, but who knows if they are even worth the effort.

if you're bored or interested:
    https://soundcloud.com/user8364966/p...winery-metsker

Thanks

wow sounded pretty good that file.yeah ill mabe wait and see what i can come up with and hopefully get a little something together to be able to take to next show as some shows security don't search but then again some are hard.also would like to just see what i can find for cheap and hopefully get something that would make a pretty good recording so ill just wait and see.will try phone again and mess about with few things to see what i can get as if i did it as a video then recording would be great so would audio but doubt id have enough space to film full show.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,007 Times in 67 Posts

To be fair - the recordings you can pull off sometimes with an iPhone or iPad are just shockingly good in the long and short of things. I mean, sure, as soon as you play it back on a full range system you hear all kinds of distortion and artifacts and there's no depth of field whatsoever. But the bottom end has come a LONG way!

So there are degrees and it depends on what you are after and what you want to invest.

The above outline is how to connect and use these devices to deliver studio-professional results with no compromise. And you WILL pay for portability! You'll just have to experiment and gauge your required bang for the buck factor.

Thanks

To be fair - the recordings you can pull off sometimes with an iPhone or iPad are just shockingly good in the long and short of things. I mean, sure, as soon as you play it back on a full range system you hear all kinds of distortion and artifacts and there's no depth of field whatsoever. But the bottom end has come a LONG way!

So there are degrees and it depends on what you are after and what you want to invest.

The above outline is how to connect and use these devices to deliver studio-professional results with no compromise. And you WILL pay for portability! You'll just have to experiment and gauge your required bang for the buck factor.
    yeah well i will try give it ago and see,i am not hoping for anything perfect just as long as it can be heard then its ok as its just a momento from show and can help me.i would like to get to know how to do these things you guys can do it would be good and once i save up a little then if i find something for what i have then ill give it ago as dont want to go to dear just starting out firstly and hopefully work my way up till i can do some pretty good stuff.ill give it ago tomorrow night when i see brit floyd and see if it is good,ill give it a test before show with music and audience in hall and then ill just do show if i can and see what happens if its ok then ill get it up for sharing on tuesday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 40 Posts

To be fair - the recordings you can pull off sometimes with an iPhone or iPad are just shockingly good in the long and short of things
    I agree. I recorded this on a whim with my iPhone 5. I was amazed at the range of the tiny inbuilt mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSzhwNSEAyQ

Later, I got a Foxtex AR-4i audio interface which sounded fantastic, though I never got to use if for anything proper...

Thanks

yeah i recorded the show it came out ok held my phone down in front of my seat audio in arena was loud it was like a small hall style concert hall not arena type but sound came out ok to me as its just a keep sake may not be perfect nut i can hear it and thats what counts.id luv to share it with you all but files say there to big and also i cant really remember how to make torrent as its been a long time since i made anything or shared anything by that so any help to make it happen would be appreciated. i was only 3 rows back from stage dead centre in middle supose if i held my phone up a bit higher i may have even got better recording but to me it will do as keep sake as thats what it is as i already own all the offical cds released

Thanks

Putting a bit of tape over the phone's inbuilt mic can help enormously with reducing the overload.

I have recorded a few shows recently using two iPhones - one with tape over the mic and one without - then combining the results. I use an app called "Retro Recorder" which records to .wav.

While not as good as some get with more sophisticated equipment, the results are certainly not bad at all to my ears.