Thread: Forum post format for notes and artwork. Why are we doing this again?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,111 Times in 56 Posts

Default Forum post format for notes and artwork. Why are we doing this again?

I continue making plain txt files for notes on autopilot. Now I suck at visual art and don't post anything! But others are dutifully posting art in printable disc case format.

I know some of this (the simple txt file for example) is to avoid anything malicious tagging along.

I was just wondering if there shouldn't be pdf files and more computer screen focused artwork nowadays. Direct viewing while you listen to something instead of having to print it physically or view something formatted for a disc case. I feel this bass ackwards thing going on where artwork diminished with digital distribution even though you no longer have any restriction in size/pages/etc.

Just throwing that out there. I'll continue to dutifully make txt files and suck at artwork.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 89 Posts

I think it's to keep the old fogeys happy.

Some still like to burn the CDs and print the labels. If you're not printing then as long as you can view them,what difference does it make how they're formatted? I don't know if people would be bothered to produce artwork just to be viewed digitally - certainly not our generation.

I say stick to what one is good at and leave the arty farty ponderings to others anyway.

Thanks

Speaking just for myself, I mourn the decline of album artwork, much of the best of which was produced by our favorite album artwork artists for our favorite musicians.
    It was a singular experience kicking back on the couch at 13 years old, in a dimly lit room, with giant headphones on, and the sleeve of an album I hadn't heard of before called "The Dark Side of the Moon" opened up on my lap, while listening to this fantastic masterpiece of an album.
    Today's generation is being denied that experience.
    This digital everything may make high quality audio listening experiences more accessible, but at the terrible cost of the tactile and visual experience.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 89 Posts

I'm sure the current resurgence of vinyl has a large part to do with the albums' cover art and freebies inside, almost as much as its analogous sound quality.

For practical reasons though, I always found playing vinyl a bit of a pain, so I don't miss it that much, but I understand the appeal of having the tactile object.

Thanks

I liked vinyl covers and artwork too and miss that part. I don't miss feeling let down by pressing (or mastering or whatever combination is responsible) quality about 80% of the time. I love HD digital audio. Early surround formats were just f'd. This is happiness and light now. But I still miss vinyl art. I don't like the vinyl resurgence. It's copies of digital masters now so it's reduced to novelty. Some of the pressings are poor. Some are obvious copies of the prepared for CD master. Seeing that Piper vinyl reissue with no digital release of the master makes me shake my head.

Anyway, it seems like an opportunity for something. But I was also wondering about security reasons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Speaking just for myself, I mourn the decline of album artwork, much of the best of which was produced by our favorite album artwork artists for our favorite musicians.

This digital everything may make high quality audio listening experiences more accessible, but at the terrible cost of the tactile and visual experience.

Agree wholeheartedly. I used to love sitting back with a new album and leafing through the booklet.. I like reading the cereal box while eating breakfast too
    but it enhances the experience somewhat. I used to be up at 6am as a kid and TV didn't start till about 8am so I used to have the telly on (with the creepy girl and chalkboard picture screen) waiting for the programmes to start while leafing through my dads album collection, reading them like comics. 'Tons of sobs' by Free was a bit of a wake up at 5 years old haha. The Wall was my favourite as a kid but I also like the more simple and clever artwork. I used to stare at the charred wishbone on the their eponymous album cover.. or the neon vinyl and mad images on Tomita albums.. I have a large print of the eponymous Fleetwood mac album on my wall.

I make artwork just for my favourite playlists or recreate my own for roio's if the included art is shite. Harvested have some really good artwork (and some awful) and that's what good recordings deserve. if I see sloppy or no artwork it suggests that the recording is sloppy or just not worthy of bothering to make artwork. I know that is not the case and we should judge the recordings on their merits but interesting artwork is attractive and appealing whereas bad or no artwork can be off putting.
    Rex.
    Them: "will you ever just conform?"
    Me: "Yes! one day I will die just like all the rest".

Thanks

I forget how many listens it took me to get through the entire 12 (or however many) page newspaper cover for Thick as a Brick. That was fun.
    Steve Wilson's 5.1 remix of it is just epic though. I hate having to choose here! But if I have to, the music comes first. The music is the whole world. I don't want to have to listen from the entrance and I don't care how much reading material is there. I grew up with vinyl and albums were just these magical worlds and the artwork was part of that. Torn...

Thanks

Ah Thick as brick is a great example didn't look out of place in any living room or record rack back in the day.. Nilssons 'Son of Dracula' gatefold and maybe a Black Sabbath Gatefold? used to fascinate me too.. I am so pleased I still have these locked away. of course the listening experience is paramount and is what our boys excelled and pioneered in when playing and recording.. it just took tech 30 years or so to catch up sat back with headphones on or in front of a good system with your eyes closed is when you feel the music and no artwork can detract from that. psychology can play a part in selecting albums visually before you get to that stage though. Imagery and icons have played a massive part in Floyds history and maybe contributed to their success. DSOTM, The Wall, Animals, WYWH etc, all simple yet eye catching and now recognisable globaly. Gerald Scarfe, Storm and Hipgnosis are massive part of the PF story and extended members in my eyes like Snowy White, Andy F'low Clare Torry et al.

Rolf's Pepperland tapes are a good example. we know the 'Bomb' sounds better than the 'Baked' version both have album art attached, but if you were to view both albums at face value shrink wrapped for sale more than likely you would reach for the oven door. which is why I feel the recent best of tour you did could benefit from some top imagery to go with it, something that compliments and mirrors the content and quality of the work you produced. at least if someone reproduces it it looks the part too, it would be a travesty for someone to wrap it up in 3rd rate half arsed artwork. doesn't need to be ground breaking just simple, informative and clean. I like some the work Sigma do with their covers and have bought them in the past without realising they were fan recordings.

On a related note.. I have been scouring the web for roger waters ATD related covers. I am doing a couple of different playlists and want the cover images from the released singles for alternative sets but the cover for TBOBOOR is impossible to find in any viewable resolution. to the point where I have just ordered the single off ebay to scan the thing myself to fettle my ocd, autistic, artistic brain.
    Rex.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post

Rolf's Pepperland tapes are a good example. we know the 'Bomb' sounds better than the 'Baked' version both have album art attached, but if you were to view both albums at face value shrink wrapped for sale more than likely you would reach for the oven door. which is why I feel the recent best of tour you did could benefit from some top imagery to go with it, something that compliments and mirrors the content and quality of the work you produced. at least if someone reproduces it it looks the part too, it would be a travesty for someone to wrap it up in 3rd rate half arsed artwork. doesn't need to be ground breaking just simple, informative and clean. I like some the work Sigma do with their covers and have bought them in the past without realising they were fan recordings.
    I think at the ROIO level you're talking a bit of a passion hobby, they're only going to be so many nuts like us and out of those nuts they have to have the skill and time. I think it's at that intersection that many of our would be artists are lost. Doing work for unofficial products for free is probably a tall ask for the average person. I guess you'd have to find someone as passionate about artwork as Jim and the rest are about audio mixing/reworking/whathaveyou.

I agree with you though, I wish they all had cool artwork to browse through while I listen, I also read the backs of cereal boxes as a boy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyzak View Post
    I guess you'd have to find someone as passionate about artwork as Jim and the rest are about audio mixing/reworking/whathaveyou.
    Just take the text file print it off onto coloured pretty paper and et viola there is thankfully some nuts out there with the time and ability, I find a lot of alternative images on deviantart.. got a great final cut nightmarish 24 page comic book/lyric sheet on there before.. here's the link to page 1 https://dead-opera-star.deviantart.c...Pt-1-582440481 press right to view the next page and so on.. he also has a similar Animals comic with lyrics and some trippy Reg the dog paintings in his gallery. I have gathered some quality stuff from there over the years.