Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Animals 5.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montymole View Post
    I still stand by my previous assertion that they're all chums, often picnic together by the river and it's all one big publicity stunt to shift some more units.
    I really wish that was true!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grotesque View Post
    Guessing without facts is merely gossip :-) In any case, in terms of the music—really, the only tangible facts we have—how much of either of their solo albums would have fitted into the concept of the Wall, whatever Roger claims? (Equally—is anyone actually arguing that the two solo albums are as good as The Wall, really?!)
    We have some facts, we just donīt have them all.

Pink Floyd wasnīt suposed to be a competition about the quality of the work of his members. Neither a "Rogerīs only" project. If either of Wrightīs and Gilmourīs material wouldnīt have fitted into the concept of the Wall, they should compensate that in the next PF album. But instead they did the contrary: the next album was about Roger... again.

Nevertheless, when Roger left, the next two albums were probably not as much band albums as they could be, either...
    Last edited by gmrw; 2021-06-14 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    Where did you hear/read that?
    Roger brought up the others' solo albums in an interview for UNCUT magazine, June 2004 issue (featuring The Final Cut, at about the time they reissued it with the injected 'When the Tigers Broke Free').
    The cover had a 1973 band pic and the title "Anger. Betrayal. Regret. The Last days of Pink Floyd. By Roger Waters."

the relevant quote is this:
    UNCUT: "Dave has accused you of manipulating a situation with The Final Cut where the rest of the band couldn’t do any writing. How do you react to that?"

Roger: "How could that be? How on earth could I possibly stop Dave Gilmour writing? What would I do? Go round to their house and when they pick up a guitar say, “Put that down”? The idea is absolutely ludicrous. It may be that within the context of the prolific nature of my own writing… I don’t know.

Rick used to write. He would write odd bits. He secreted them away and put them on those solo albums he made and were never heard. He never shared them. It was unbelievably stupid. I never understood why he did that. I’m sure there were two or three decent chord sequences. If he’d given them to me, I would have been very, very happy to make something with them. One of my collaborations with Rick was “Us and Them” [from Dark Side of the Moon], which was a fabulous song. This idea that I somehow stopped them writing is so patently ludicrous, I just don’t get how they could say that."

(interview also transcribed here: https://www.pinkfloydz.com/interview...ine-june-2004/)
    Last edited by ommayad; 2021-06-14 at 05:52 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "..the rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in.."

Thanks

Another point to consider is that "The Wall" came about primarily due to financial rather than artistic reasons. There were no firm plans for the band to get back together to produce any more material as a group prior to the band finding out they were in financial trouble later on in 1978, hence the earlier appearance of solo albums. Besides, Waters had been expressing a desire to work outside of the band collective as early as 1974 (his comments to Nick Sedgwick as they appear in Sedgwick's "In the Pink" indicate this). IMHO as much as he might have claimed otherwise, I think Roger was just as afraid of leaving the financial security of the big Pink umbrella as anyone.

If I were a member of Pink Floyd, it would have really galled me to see Roger grab all those extra royalties by having the same short acoustic song he "composed" and was the only participant on ("Pigs on the Wing") appear twice on the same album, changing the lyrics around a bit, and then separately titling them "Pt 1" and "Pt 2" in order to steer even more publishing money his way.

Unfortunately I don't think Roger saw any value in the band's collective contributions as time went on, whether they might be musical, compositional, or even arrangement wise. For whatever reason, it gradually morphed into his way or the highway.

For myself I consider "Animals" to be the last "true" Pink Floyd record (and if it wasn't for the inclusion of recycled material conceived back in '74 it probably wouldn't even have turned out to be that).

I remember hearing "The Wall" being premiered on WNEW-FM NY back in November of '79 and thinking there must have been some kind of mistake - it just didn't sound like a Pink Floyd record to me. Of course at the time I was not aware of all the circumstances that led to the album turning out the way it did. And in retrospect, it all makes perfect sense now.
    Last edited by stratcat58; 2021-06-14 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmrw View Post
    Notice the detail in what I said before about my view: "Roger started by SUBTLY suffocating the other Pink Floyd members...".
    In the past (some years ago) interestingly I had to work with people with that kind of behavior (like Rogerīs), and believe me, I do know that way of thinking and acting very well!
    Just to give you an example, notice this detail in what Roger said: "they saved anything they had for their BORING solo albums." That alone shows the lack of respect he had about his band mateīs work.

On the other hand, it is true that none of us were with the band 24 hours a day, and see and ear everything. We canīt be absolutely sure of what happened and why, but we can try to guess, based on the limited information we have.
    Naturally, the guesses vary...
    You are very lucky! I work with such a person who doesn't want to admit anything except his own opinion and is a fan of Roger

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grotesque View Post
    Guessing without facts is merely gossip :-) In any case, in terms of the music—really, the only tangible facts we have—how much of either of their solo albums would have fitted into the concept of the Wall, whatever Roger claims? (Equally—is anyone actually arguing that the two solo albums are as good as The Wall, really?!)
    I don't think the Wall is a great album, because it embodies a conscious self-deprecation multiplied millions of times (cassettes, lps, radio shows, compact discs, concerts).

About a hundred years ago, there were many such wanderers-they went around in torn clothes and shoes, showed their wounds and sores, asked for small change for food and called for faith in God. At the same time, they tortured themselves either with a whip or a piece of chain.

The sufferer of faith came out on the stage, opening his wounds...

For decades, he has publicly profited from his personal everyday problems and complexes - is this a recognition of his everyday success?

Money-does not smell

In addition, fans tend to imitate their idols - that's the conveyor started working. Concert conveyor, similar to a school one

P.S. Yes, of course, I forgot about the movie
    Last edited by YASHA; 2021-06-14 at 12:21 PM.

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

I still stand by my previous assertion that they're all chums, often picnic together by the river and it's all one big publicity stunt to shift some more units.
    That would be fine if they'd just *release* the unit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ommayad View Post
    Roger brought up the others' solo albums in an interview for UNCUT magazine, June 2004 issue (featuring The Final Cut, at about the time they reissued it with the injected 'When the Tigers Broke Free').
    The cover had a 1973 band pic and the title "Anger. Betrayal. Regret. The Last days of Pink Floyd. By Roger Waters."

the relevant quote is this:
    UNCUT: "Dave has accused you of manipulating a situation with The Final Cut where the rest of the band couldn’t do any writing. How do you react to that?"

Roger: "How could that be? How on earth could I possibly stop Dave Gilmour writing? What would I do? Go round to their house and when they pick up a guitar say, “Put that down”? The idea is absolutely ludicrous. It may be that within the context of the prolific nature of my own writing… I don’t know.

Rick used to write. He would write odd bits. He secreted them away and put them on those solo albums he made and were never heard. He never shared them. It was unbelievably stupid. I never understood why he did that. I’m sure there were two or three decent chord sequences. If he’d given them to me, I would have been very, very happy to make something with them. One of my collaborations with Rick was “Us and Them” [from Dark Side of the Moon], which was a fabulous song. This idea that I somehow stopped them writing is so patently ludicrous, I just don’t get how they could say that."

(interview also transcribed here: https://www.pinkfloydz.com/interview...ine-june-2004/)
    On the other side of the coin - there was a newspaper clipping posted here not long ago from circa the early 1980s where Gilmour does seem to indicate that the band sunk a heck of a lot of money into The Wall and the subsequent movie and were worried they were going to lose a lot of it. (notably from the film) My impression that they were for the album but no so keen to make the movie. Based on the timing of the article, I suspect this is what caused the first "big" rift between the band members. Given how costly the live shows were, coupled with the film's big budget - is it possible they were worried they were going to lose everything over The Wall? We are talking millions of pounds... I think it's safe to say it did make them all a lot of cash - but it could also have gone the other way.

In a sense, I sympathise with Gilmour here - because as much as I love The Wall - I do think the album was enough. The live shows encapsulated the album - not the subsequent film - and I think it would have still retained its iconic status even if there had been no film at all. A live video would have sufficed. But, maybe after re-watching the video footage of Earl's Court, Waters felt it wasn't good enough - hence the film version? (and his subsequent desire to never release the live footage officially) The fact that they filmed various nights does seem to bear this out.

My point is that I don't think it was about who wrote what/or didn't... and much more about money - and control of the band.
    Last edited by montymole; 2021-06-14 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks

Given how costly the live shows were, coupled with the film's big budget - is it possible they were worried they were going to lose everything over The Wall? We are talking millions of pounds... I think it's safe to say it did make them all a lot of cash - but it could also have gone the other way.
    According to what I've read, the Wall tour lost money. Rick was the only one of the 4 to make money, because by then he'd been fired from the band and was on salary.
    I am you and what I see is me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat58 View Post
    Another point to consider is that "The Wall" came about primarily due to financial rather than artistic reasons. There were no firm plans for the band to get back together to produce any more material as a group prior to the band finding out they were in financial trouble later on in 1978, hence the earlier appearance of solo albums.
    I don't think this is strictly true? The plan to reconvene mid-78 and choose between Waters' demo's for the new PF album was made before the Norton Warburg problems. Though undoubtedly by Sept 78 the full knowledge of the financial scandal affected how the LP progressed in terms of moving abroad etc.