Thread: How to matrix?

Thanks

Default How to matrix?

Just wondering if anyone had the patience to explain to a dullard (myself!) on how to combine two recordings into one, some of the matrix versions of Roger Waters 'Us and Them' have blown me away!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 67 Posts

Put the two (or more) recordings up in multiple tracks in your DAW.

Pick one of them to call the reference.

Verispeed correct the other(s) to the reference.

You have to go through and identify identical transients between the recorders and line them up. You may have to slice up the target(s) as much as every 3 seconds to keep up with the ebb and flow of the transports! (Speed variation you'd never notice listening to one source by itself but becomes glaring when you line multiple sources up next to each other.) Sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 minute long sections and it isn't so bad. Start with lining up the ends. Then start dividing it up with more slices and click-dragging into place until you have it in sync.

Use a DAW like Reaper. The Elastique Pro speed/pitch expansion/compression algorithm is fully lossless in verispeed mode. You can grab the audio item edge and click-drag it to stretch into place. The lossless operation means you can go back and repeatedly tweak as you finesse the sync to perfection and the audio remains lossless. These audio tools not only make this possible but it's pretty slick to work with.

Thanks

Hey ! Thanks So Much for the fast comeback and taking time out to help!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Put the two (or more) recordings up in multiple tracks in your DAW.........

Use a DAW like Reaper. The Elastique Pro speed/pitch expansion/compression algorithm is fully lossless in verispeed mode. You can grab the audio item edge and click-drag it to stretch into place. The lossless operation means you can go back and repeatedly tweak as you finesse the sync to perfection and the audio remains lossless. These audio tools not only make this possible but it's pretty slick to work with.
    I've been meaning to investigate Reaper out for a while now for my own use, based on comments from Jim and other experts in this realm. Time to stop 'meaning to' and start DOING!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Put the two (or more) recordings up in multiple tracks in your DAW.

Pick one of them to call the reference.

Verispeed correct the other(s) to the reference.

You have to go through and identify identical transients between the recorders and line them up. You may have to slice up the target(s) as much as every 3 seconds to keep up with the ebb and flow of the transports! (Speed variation you'd never notice listening to one source by itself but becomes glaring when you line multiple sources up next to each other.) Sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 minute long sections and it isn't so bad. Start with lining up the ends. Then start dividing it up with more slices and click-dragging into place until you have it in sync.

Matrix is my next challenge.

Does elastique come with reaper, does it need to be purchased as a plugin separately, and is it part of another audio software.

Please be a little more specific with the last 2 paragraphs. lining up then the click and drag piece.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick0725; 2018-08-25 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post
    Matrix is my next challenge............. Rick
    Can one imagine the results, based upon previous improvements & enhancements....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post
    Matrix is my next challenge.

Does elastique come with reaper, does it need to be purchased as a plugin separately, and is it part of another audio software.

Please be a little more specific with the last 2 paragraphs. lining up then the click and drag piece.

Rick
    Yep! Bundled with Reaper for free.
    It's integrated into it too. You don't process with it like a plugin. You can use the click-drag commands to resize audio items on the screen and Elastique Pro is behind the scenes doing the work.

In Reaper specifically:

First, you need to put all audio items in verispeed mode! Default is actually separated pitch and time (the DJ tricks) probably because "beat making" is so popular.
    Select all the audio items on the screen. Double click one of them to open Item Preferences (or select that from the Item menu). Untick the box (middle right) 'Preserve pitch when changing rate'. This is the cryptic part! This seems bass ackwards but there it is. Selected items follow this setting. So either select them all first or you would have to open Item Preferences and untick that box for each one.

Now when you option-click-drag the edge of an audio item, it verispeed adjusts and the lossless Elastique Pro is what is being used.

Thanks

I'm primarily a Cubase/Nuendo and Audition user myself, and the only tips I can suggest with using stuff like elastique or iZotope RX5/6 is to use them sparingly, and with reverence. Much like EQ'ing, compression, noise reduction, or any methods of filtering, amplitude, or restoration...less is always more. When EQ'ing, use subtractive synthesis when you can...always attenuate if possible.

Stereo imaging is worth a consideration as well; be careful how wide/near-field your mix is, especially when mixing multiple sources together (check your origin of sources too! Is it mono, or stereo?). Be on the lookout for phasing issues, I can't stress this one enough. ;-)

There is nothing worse than listening to a poorly mixed piece of audio where someone has carved too much audio in NR, pitch/time stretched, or used additive synthesis in EQ, producing weird decays and transients etc.

It always helps to monitor your mixes on different setups to give you an overall idea of how it sounds....car, home stereo, headphones, earphones etc. Some budding audio engineers may have nice studio monitors to mix on, but even those may be 'colored', and not all listeners will have studio monitors to playback music on, so that's always worth a consideration.

It just depends on how deep you want to go into the rabbit hole. Take your time, A/B your work, backup (always backup!), and ask for advice if you need to, and give your ears a break every few hours. Enjoy! :-)