Thread: How to matrix?

Thanks

Default How to matrix?

Just wondering if anyone had the patience to explain to a dullard (myself!) on how to combine two recordings into one, some of the matrix versions of Roger Waters 'Us and Them' have blown me away!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,364 Times in 59 Posts

Put the two (or more) recordings up in multiple tracks in your DAW.

Pick one of them to call the reference.

Verispeed correct the other(s) to the reference.

You have to go through and identify identical transients between the recorders and line them up. You may have to slice up the target(s) as much as every 3 seconds to keep up with the ebb and flow of the transports! (Speed variation you'd never notice listening to one source by itself but becomes glaring when you line multiple sources up next to each other.) Sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 minute long sections and it isn't so bad. Start with lining up the ends. Then start dividing it up with more slices and click-dragging into place until you have it in sync.

Use a DAW like Reaper. The Elastique Pro speed/pitch expansion/compression algorithm is fully lossless in verispeed mode. You can grab the audio item edge and click-drag it to stretch into place. The lossless operation means you can go back and repeatedly tweak as you finesse the sync to perfection and the audio remains lossless. These audio tools not only make this possible but it's pretty slick to work with.

Thanks

Hey ! Thanks So Much for the fast comeback and taking time out to help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,847 Times in 127 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Put the two (or more) recordings up in multiple tracks in your DAW.........

Use a DAW like Reaper. The Elastique Pro speed/pitch expansion/compression algorithm is fully lossless in verispeed mode. You can grab the audio item edge and click-drag it to stretch into place. The lossless operation means you can go back and repeatedly tweak as you finesse the sync to perfection and the audio remains lossless. These audio tools not only make this possible but it's pretty slick to work with.
    I've been meaning to investigate Reaper out for a while now for my own use, based on comments from Jim and other experts in this realm. Time to stop 'meaning to' and start DOING!!