Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ummagumma - the studio album

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Does anyone have any views on the best sounding copy of the studio album?
    I have the 96 Sax and new 2011 masters on CD ,while I prefer the 96 they both sound similar and as I have said before are hard to listen to loud because of the harshness of the tape effects that sound like screeching.I also have a 24/96 needledrop of a 1st UK pressing from a famous needledropper,while it sounds close to the CD it does lose a lot of detail.IMO I go with the Sax CD.Never heard the new vinyl BTW.

Thanks

Default Umma & Gumma The Album Reimagined as tripple CD

Meybe You guys already know the "Umma & Gumma" project released in 2004 as a tripple-CDr. The livecompilation isn't that interesting (anymore) as there are complete or at least more complete recordings in better sound quality available, but the Studioalbum is still interesting imo.

The Sysyphus-Suite in 5 parts and including "Several Species" backwards is very interesting (as is the rest of the album).

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Meddle View Post
    Meybe You guys already know the "Umma & Gumma" project released in 2004 as a tripple-CDr. The livecompilation isn't that interesting (anymore) as there are complete or at least more complete recordings in better sound quality available, but the Studioalbum is still interesting imo.

The Sysyphus-Suite in 5 parts and including "Several Species" backwards is very interesting (as is the rest of the album).

Any thoughts?
    I remember it. I erased it, for me it was far too much, like an attempt to put together in a single set absolutely everything available from that period. But I also remember that it had some interesting ideas, mostly around Sysyphus, you're right. Still I think that much more synthesis and selection would have been needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falbrav View Post
    I remember it. I erased it, for me it was far too much, like an attempt to put together in a single set absolutely everything available from that period. But I also remember that it had some interesting ideas, mostly around Sysyphus, you're right. Still I think that much more synthesis and selection would have been needed.
    Yeah, likewise. Though I never erase things. ;-) But I recall I only played it through once. From me, it got points for effort, but if I recall correctly for me it just came across as a bit too contrived. I do like it that there are people out there making these efforts into making a lost 1969 album.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    I agree with what Rex says above. If you haven't heard these 'reimagined' albums, they're definitely worth checking out. In excellent quality, a great deal of thought and care has gone into their production. Every so often I play one of them to hear music from that era and they just have a 'flow' that's a joy to listen to. There are several non-Floyd albums there too that are worth hearing.
    Hi Simond. good to see others appreciating this mans reimagining's of a 5 man Floyd. I enjoy listening to them from time to time too especially 'Themes from an Imaginary western' I also love the alternate Beatles timeline he posed where they never split. did you by any chance download the 'Band on the Run' album? for some reason it was the only one that got pulled for official content but I missed it. he does great work and I think some of the aficionados from Y would definitely appreciate his efforts. I'm sure he mentioned before that he is a retired sound engineer just doing it for himself.. so pleased we get to share his work... gotta love the innanet
    Them: "will you ever just conform?"
    Me: "Yes! one day I will die just like all the rest".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Meddle View Post

Any thoughts?
    Nice concept but I would not be too keen on hearing 5 parts of Sisyphus I have always felt that there is an excellent double album to be had by taking elements and tracks from ZP, More, UG (studio), OBC & AHM. I have a playlist from the 3 soundtracks that fills an 80m CD.. part time Floyd heads think it is an unreleased album
    Them: "will you ever just conform?"
    Me: "Yes! one day I will die just like all the rest".